Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by gradboozer
Just curious if anyone knows the answer to this one? Thanks!
No, it most likely means it's just phantom space showing on QF.

Ultimately it doesn't matter much if award space is showing on ExpertFlyer, BA, QF, etc, if the AA phone agents are not able to see or book it, then there's not much you can do.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JDiver
You may have missed the initial release of award seats - if there was one. Or no seats may be released for Awards until two or more days after the flight opens for bookings. Or if historically that day has had heavy bookings, RM may trickle or not even release seats if bookings follow through.

If you can get AA transatlantic with BA short haul, go for that. The high YA carrier imposed fees come with BA transatlantic (not transiting LHR, etc.)

Also, read HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance, particularly the Wikipost at the top of the page, for many tips. E.g. aa.com does not show some partners. There are partners people don’t know about (like the Air Tahiti Nui LAX-CDG possibility for those aspiring Awards to Paris).
Unfortunately I have found many AA TATL summer routes for J either never have award availability, or it goes so fast even Expert Flyer doesn't catch it. Could be same for Y.
With the loss of Airberlin, a lot of good options for Europe using AA miles have dried up, but Iberia seems to also have availability those dates, and has lower fees than BA. (In addition to some availability on ORD and RDU to LHR on AA metal). If you see any flight combo with 4 seats available, I'd book now. Chances of 4 more seats being released on any given flight at this point is low.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:35 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Moving this to our dedicated AA forum.

chgoeditor
co-mod, Info Desk
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Moving this to our dedicated AA forum.

chgoeditor
co-mod, Info Desk
Already cross-posted here, suggest this one be closed.

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by beltway
To you as EXP, sure--but not free to lowly non-elites, right?
I don’t think you understand the rule.

If you buy, say for an award thirty days out and change it afterwards so yourbgrip will now be under twenty-one days out, a loophole that existed some years ago, you will be charged $75.00.

But if you buy an award trip, say 300 days out, and you want to change it to 295 days out, there’s no fee incurred. Even on day 290.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
I don’t think you understand the rule.

If you buy, say for an award thirty days out and change it afterwards so yourbgrip will now be under twenty-one days out, a loophole that existed some years ago, you will be charged $75.00.

But if you buy an award trip, say 300 days out, and you want to change it to 295 days out, there’s no fee incurred. Even on day 290.
Yes, I too hastily (mis)read the AA language. Thanks for un[EXPLETIVE]ing my grasp of things.

Have to say I'm stunned that AA lets you change dates this way. Maybe I'm just gun shy from interactions with UA.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:20 pm

Ok. Thanks everyone just got the June 17th date.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Ultimately it doesn't matter much if award space is showing on ExpertFlyer, BA, QF, etc, if the AA phone agents are not able to see or book it, then there's not much you can do.
Which AA phone agents?

I heard in some other thread (which I can't find now) that someone had trouble getting a partner booking through "normal" AA agents, and then somehow connected to foreign AA agents who were able to do that partner award booking. Apparently those foreign agents had access to the Amadeus reservation system (which a lot of AA's partners use), but the domestic agents only have access to Sabre?

The thing is, I don't know to choose which AA agents you're connecting to, nor how to tell which ones you're connected to.

UPDATED TO ADD:

Oh, just I found at least one such reference to using foreign AA agents for more successful award booking. Someone suggested Australian agents and gave a phone number, and then another person replied they got it booked through Fiji agents, but didn't give a phone number. Here's that portion of that thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post30041595 (starting at post 710)

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 10, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Which AA phone agents?

I heard in some other thread (which I can't find now) that someone had trouble getting a partner booking through "normal" AA agents, and then somehow connected to foreign AA agents who were able to do that partner award booking. Apparently those foreign agents had access to the Amadeus reservation system (which a lot of AA's partners use), but the domestic agents only have access to Sabre?

The thing is, I don't know to choose which AA agents you're connecting to, nor how to tell which ones you're connected to.

UPDATED TO ADD:

Oh, just I found at least one such reference to using foreign AA agents for more successful award booking. Someone suggested Australian agents and gave a phone number, and then another person replied they got it booked through Fiji agents, but didn't give a phone number. Here's that portion of that thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post30041595 (starting at post 710)
I already tried Australia and Fiji and no luck booking Iberia.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:57 am

Hi Guys!
one more question. I am trying to book my return flight.
the first segment is unfortunately BA. the fees are not bad, $384 for us 4. If I find a flight with all AA will they give me my $384 back or do I loose that money?

thank you!
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by yolie
Hi Guys!
one more question. I am trying to book my return flight.
the first segment is unfortunately BA. the fees are not bad, $384 for us 4. If I find a flight with all AA will they give me my $384 back or do I loose that money?

thank you!
You will if it's a free change. We are coming back from Paris in Oct and the original booking was on BA through LHR. Later on, I changed to the direct AA CDG-LHR flight and got quite a chunk of change back...they charged me the new fee (much lower though I don't remember how much) and then a few days later, the original BA fee was refunded.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by fredc84
You will if it's a free change. We are coming back from Paris in Oct and the original booking was on BA through LHR. Later on, I changed to the direct AA CDG-LHR flight and got quite a chunk of change back...they charged me the new fee (much lower though I don't remember how much) and then a few days later, the original BA fee was refunded.
thank you so much!
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:37 am

Hello experts!

I am trying to book 5 Milesaver tickets back from Hawaii next summer, all on the same flight. (We have small children so splitting up on flights is not desirable.) Currently, the only inventory available is limited to 2-3 seats for flights with long layovers. I am fairly confident that availability will open up later on more desirable flights. (This is an educated guess based on two things: 1) looking at dates months prior to when I want to go, seeing Milesaver availability on the "good" (short layover) flights 2) having flown on the good flights before, they have always been wide open, and sometimes almost empty)

So, here are my questions:

1) Can you still call and hold awards for 5 days, hoping that doing so will open up more seats on the same flight? If so, are you still charged a fee for talking to a person instead of booking on aa.com? I will likely be calling twice to put tickets on hold, and maybe once more to ticket (unless you can ticket held flights on aa.com).

2) Can you still change award flights for free, as long as the origin, destination, and dates are the same? If so, I could book the long connection flights now, and try to change them later.

3) Is there any magic formula to when Milesaver seats open up on all flights? (e.g, 180 days out, 60 days out, etc.)

4) Do you have any advice to share? Success stories? Failures?

Please also note that if I need to buy 1-2 tickets, I can, I'd just prefer to use the miles since we have them.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by wanderlust99
Hello experts!

I am trying to book 5 Milesaver tickets back from Hawaii next summer, all on the same flight. (We have small children so splitting up on flights is not desirable.) Currently, the only inventory available is limited to 2-3 seats for flights with long layovers. I am fairly confident that availability will open up later on more desirable flights. (This is an educated guess based on two things: 1) looking at dates months prior to when I want to go, seeing Milesaver availability on the "good" (short layover) flights 2) having flown on the good flights before, they have always been wide open, and sometimes almost empty)

So, here are my questions:

1) Can you still call and hold awards for 5 days, hoping that doing so will open up more seats on the same flight? If so, are you still charged a fee for talking to a person instead of booking on aa.com? I will likely be calling twice to put tickets on hold, and maybe once more to ticket (unless you can ticket held flights on aa.com).

2) Can you still change award flights for free, as long as the origin, destination, and dates are the same? If so, I could book the long connection flights now, and try to change them later.

3) Is there any magic formula to when Milesaver seats open up on all flights? (e.g, 180 days out, 60 days out, etc.)

4) Do you have any advice to share? Success stories? Failures?

Please also note that if I need to buy 1-2 tickets, I can, I'd just prefer to use the miles since we have them.
1. No need to call: you can place award reservations on hold at aa.com.

2. Yes. In fact, there's no requirement that the dates remain the same, just origin and destination.

3. No. In fact, there could be some flights on which AA chooses never to make SAAver seats available.

4. You might get lucky, but don't count on being able to get five SAAver seats on the same flights.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:13 am

Thank you for your help, guv.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.