Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
You’re not going to find much Award space if you confine yourself to aa.com. Please see the Wikipost at the top of the page of HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance. This thread will ultimately be merged there.

Right, I'm definitely not confining myself. I just thought that I had seen a good deal in my research with AA for the places I was going, and the scenario is changing, so since I'm gonna have the miles anyway, I wanted to ask ppl if they had good luck in other parts of the world that I'll be in.

Thank you!
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
I'm looking around for some Business or First Class Saaver tickets to/from Australia and/or NZ for next Feb. Plenty of results show up but when you look at the details, the main transpacific flight on Qantas (either DFW->SYD or say BNE->LAX) is showing Economy, while the domestic legs are in Business/First. What's up with that? when did AA start charging the 80k/110k points for these award flights where the main leg isn't in the class you're ponying up all the points for??

Further adding to my confusion, I went and looked for award flights using Alaska's website and they too show AA having First Class availability but once again, showing Economy on the long leg of the flight. Is this purposefully misrepresented or some kind of glitch? Bc I can't imagine who in their right mind would book these itineraries as is.

Last edited by shootermcgav1n; Jun 26, 2018 at 11:51 pm
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by alwaystemporary
Searching on aa.com for an award ticket HNL --> Brisbane. "there is no service or availability for your requested dates."
The flights to/from AKL seem to have been the most commonly available when I've looked, but then you'd need to have AKL-BNE also available. SYD or MEL might be easier.

Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
I'm looking around for some Business or First Class Saaver tickets to/from Australia and/or NZ for next Feb. Plenty of results show up but when you look at the details, the main transpacific flight on Qantas (either DFW->SYD or say BNE->LAX) is showing Economy, while the domestic legs are in Business/First. What's up with that? when did AA start charging the 80k/110k points for these award flights where the main leg isn't in the class you're ponying up all the points for??
Maybe a couple of years? Search the appropriate thread if you want historical data points, or just do your searches from hubs or use Awardnexus or some other tool to weed out the crap.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

Further adding to my confusion, I went and looked for award flights using Alaska's website and they too show AA having First Class availability but once again, showing Economy on the long leg of the flight. Is this purposefully misrepresented or some kind of glitch? Bc I can't imagine who in their right mind would book these itineraries as is.
This is an aa.com "glitch" that has been present since AA changed their domestic First class to book into the business fare codes (J, U, etc.). South Pacific awards using QF are the biggest offenders, however you will also see it on partner awards with IB and AY as well.

For awards to Europe, Asia, South Pacific, previously, if aa.com saw U space available on an award search then it must have been the longhaul segment (since U was not available domestically, outside of transcons) so it was correctly programmed to return a positive result. My best guess is AA hasn't bothered to change the programming, so it still returns a positive result when it sees U, even though it's only on the short domestic segment.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:23 am

Wow that's awful. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:07 pm

SAAver to AAnytime?

Hi,
I am quite familiar with booking international awards, but this trip will be my first fully domestic AAward ticket on AA. I am nearing the 21 Day deadline to purchase without fees. I have an AAnytime on Hold, but have been waiting for MileSAAvers for my date. They have opened up, but the current available flights are quite early in the morning and I would need to leave in the middle of the night for the airport. I don't really want to do that, and paying an extra 7.5K is no big deal at this point. However, I been tracking this routing and have seen the floodgates on my ideal route plus multiple acceptable routes open up for MileSAAvers 2-5 days before a flight. So there is a part of me that would like to purchase the inconvenient SAAvers and then hope for my ideal time to open up. Obviously I know there are guarantees, and I'm trying to weigh whether I would be okay with the early flight time.

My Question Is This: If I purchase MileSAAvers, and my ideal time doesn't become available, am I able to change the ticket to an AAnytime without fees or redeposits, and only pay the difference of miles? I know the rules in reverse, but am curious about this scenario. Would that be considered an upgrade or would I have the whole re-deposit, fees, etc., issue?

THANKS!
Edit: Although I did search prior to posting, I must have overlooked this on AA’s site, it seems pretty clear:
  • “Changes to the itinerary which involve different AAdvantage awards than originally ticketed require a reinstatement of the original award ticket, payment of the applicable award reinstatement fee, and a new award ticket issued.”

Last edited by miles4sheli; Jul 3, 2018 at 7:32 am
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:43 pm

So I had found some Business class availability on Qantas, called up AA to try and book but they said they hadn't released that space to to AA yet. Does this happen frequently? any idea when/if they would release to other OW partners? Thanks.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Award Hold usage

I have never used the AA award hold feature.and have a question on its usage. We are trying to book a African award trip from the US on QR. My research shows the award seats on the return flights (from Africa to the US via DOH) tend to book very quickly at the 330 day window.

Would I be able to put an award segment on hold at 330 days out (WDH-DOH for example) and call back the next day and change the ticket to WDH-DOH-PHL and then book it?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I had found some Business class availability on Qantas, called up AA to try and book but they said they hadn't released that space to to AA yet. Does this happen frequently? any idea when/if they would release to other OW partners? Thanks.
More details needed. What do you mean you found space on Qantas, were you searching qantas.com? Was the flight more than 330 days in the future?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I have never used the AA award hold feature.and have a question on its usage. We are trying to book a African award trip from the US on QR. My research shows the award seats on the return flights (from Africa to the US via DOH) tend to book very quickly at the 330 day window.

Would I be able to put an award segment on hold at 330 days out (WDH-DOH for example) and call back the next day and change the ticket to WDH-DOH-PHL and then book it?
No problem at all to add a segment onto an award that's on hold. If you happen to get a bad agent that insists they must cancel the original award and start over, just HUCA.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
More details needed. What do you mean you found space on Qantas, were you searching qantas.com? Was the flight more than 330 days in the future?
Yes, I was searching qantas.com looking at award availability. I actually booked another segment earlier in the evening just to lock something down in case I couldn't find anything better, that leg was also found using Qantas' website. The flight is not more than 330 days in the future.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I have generally found if an award is found on Expert Flyer then it is normally bookable on AA.com.

(Being oneworld Emerald with Qantas I get a greater allocation of seating than normal. So it's no good looking for seats on Qantas.com if I want to book an AAdvantage award.)
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:30 am

I'm currently looking to book award space on Iberia - ExpertFlyer shows two awards available when searching IB, BA.com shows two seats available. AA.com and phone agents only see one (have called the US and NZ lines). Does IB gives out more awards to its own members and BA members than it does to other OW partners like AA?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hyperzulu
I'm currently looking to book award space on Iberia - ExpertFlyer shows two awards available when searching IB, BA.com shows two seats available. AA.com and phone agents only see one (have called the US and NZ lines). Does IB gives out more awards to its own members and BA members than it does to other OW partners like AA?
HUCA
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
HUCA
In my experience if it does not show on either AA.com or EF then HUCA is useless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.