Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Don't expect award flights on the most heavily booked days of the year (which I think includes the Wednesday before Thanksgiving).

If the flights actually operate then (some flights are cancelled that day), Thanksgiving Day itself may hold the best chance, because by then fewer people are traveling.

There's no pattern to how award seats get released, once you pass 11 months out (which was over half a year ago). Not that it's dependable even then, but that's the closest it seems to get to patterns.
I am actually able to travel on Tuesday so I'm hoping that might help, along with a lot of flexibility on departure/arrival airports. Thanks for the input! Does no patterns mean space might be released any day, any time of the day, or is AA somewhat consistent in releasing space at midnight/noon/whenever the planets align?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:28 am

Trying to get to MLE in Feb, I have found ORD>PHL>DOH, DOH>CMB>MLE, MLE>CMB>DOH, DOH>ORD available with all segments in business except ORD>PHL and CMB<>MLE. Could anyone help me, as to the AA pricing for 2 on this award? My understanding is ORD>DOH is 70k each, DOH>MLE is 17.5k each, so total for two passengers would be 350k miles, correct?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by shimps1
Trying to get to MLE in Feb, I have found ORD>PHL>DOH, DOH>CMB>MLE, MLE>CMB>DOH, DOH>ORD available with all segments in business except ORD>PHL and CMB<>MLE. Could anyone help me, as to the AA pricing for 2 on this award? My understanding is ORD>DOH is 70k each, DOH>MLE is 17.5k each, so total for two passengers would be 350k miles, correct?
Are you planning a stopover in Doha?

The Maldives are part of the ME/Indian Subcontinent award region, so if the fare rules permit such a routing it should be possible to book all of it ORD-PHL-DOH-CMB-MLE as a single 70k award in business, and you can take a voluntary downgrade on the ORD-PHL and CMB-MLE segments. But if you're planning to stop in Doha for over 24 hrs then this would split it to 70k + 17.5k, with both DOH-CMB-MLE being in economy.

Another option, it's definitely possible to get ORD-PHL-DOH-CMB as a single award at 70k. Then just buy a paid separate ticket CMB-MLE, which is often not too expensive.

If you've found availability on all of the segments, then it's best to just call AA first to see what it prices as.

Edit: looking at the fare rules, QR does publish a ORD-MLE fare that allows stops in PHL/DOH/CMB, so it should definitely be possible to get your entire itinerary ORD-PHL-DOH-CMB-MLE as a single award for 70k.

Last edited by JJeffrey; Sep 11, 2018 at 9:55 am
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Are you planning a stopover in Doha?

The Maldives are part of the ME/Indian Subcontinent award region, so if the fare rules permit such a routing it should be possible to book all of it ORD-PHL-DOH-CMB-MLE as a single 70k award in business, and you can take a voluntary downgrade on the ORD-PHL and CMB-MLE segments. But if you're planning to stop in Doha for over 24 hrs then this would split it to 70k + 17.5k, with both DOH-CMB-MLE being in economy.

Another option, it's definitely possible to get ORD-PHL-DOH-CMB as a single award at 70k. Then just buy a paid separate ticket CMB-MLE, which is often not too expensive.

If you've found availability on all of the segments, then it's best to just call AA first to see what it prices as.

Edit: looking at the fare rules, QR does publish a ORD-MLE fare that allows stops in PHL/DOH/CMB, so it should definitely be possible to get your entire itinerary ORD-PHL-DOH-CMB-MLE as a single award for 70k.

No I was not planning stopover, thanks for the help. I can technically get a RTW for 140k PP, ORD>DOH>MLE, then MLE>PVG>ORD on Malaysian operated by China Eastern. only gets me 5 nights in MLE though.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
No I was not planning stopover, thanks for the help. I can technically get a RTW for 140k PP, ORD>DOH>MLE, then MLE>PVG>ORD on Malaysian operated by China Eastern. only gets me 5 nights in MLE though.
What is your goal? Fly around the world or just go to MLE?

I wouldn't wait too long to book your tickets as an award to MLE go very quick
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Had a JAL F award finally ticket, and found a surprise $40 phone booking fee on the e-receipt. The agent mentioned nothing, or I would have pointed out this doesn’t apply to JAL bookings. Checked my credit card-two transactions pending, one for $40.

grrrrr. How many years has this policy been in effect?

This happened to me years ago on an EY award, just after they changed the policy, and the agent working with the fare desk accidentally canceled the ticket in trying to refund the charge. My seats disappeared. I’m a bit traumatized by that experience, so what do you reckon is the best strategy for addressing this? AAdvantage Customer Service or any booking agent who answers the call? Is it now a routine and easy fix/refund? Please say yes.

Last edited by OneWorldSapphire; Sep 11, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by klanfa
I am actually able to travel on Tuesday so I'm hoping that might help, along with a lot of flexibility on departure/arrival airports. Thanks for the input! Does no patterns mean space might be released any day, any time of the day, or is AA somewhat consistent in releasing space at midnight/noon/whenever the planets align?
The Tuesday before Thanksgiving is one of the busiest non-summer air travel days of the year in the USA.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OneWorldSapphire
Had a JAL F award finally ticket, and found a surprise $40 phone booking fee on the e-receipt. The agent mentioned nothing, or I would have pointed out this doesn’t apply to JAL bookings. Checked my credit card-two transactions pending, one for $40.

grrrrr. How many years has this policy been in effect?

This happened to me years ago on an EY award, just after they changed the policy, and the agent working with the fare desk accidentally canceled the ticket in trying to refund the charge. My seats disappeared. I’m a bit traumatized by that experience, so what do you reckon is the best strategy for addressing this? AAdvantage Customer Service or any booking agent who answers the call? Is it now a routine and easy fix/refund? Please say yes.
Very annoying. Just call the normal reservations number, tell them you were erroneously charged the telephone booking fee. They should be able to refund it without touching your reservation.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
What is your goal? Fly around the world or just go to MLE?

I wouldn't wait too long to book your tickets as an award to MLE go very quick

Our plan has actually changed drastically, I brought up that idea and my wife was not happy with it. Now goal is to spend a day in HKG, and a few days in CNS. Working on it now. A RTW flight would be cool but not if it takes away from the vacation time. That one was just the quickest routing actually.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Very annoying. Just call the normal reservations number, tell them you were erroneously charged the telephone booking fee. They should be able to refund it without touching your reservation.
Thanks. Just did it. The agent admitted he had no idea how to do it, so I informed him about my previous traumatic experience and asked him to please consult a supervisor. The supervisor apparently did the refund, and the ticket still looks fine. Whew.

I wonder how many people get charged a $40 booking fee and don't even realise?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by klanfa
By "no patterns" I meant that SAAver space on a given flight may be released at any time over the period of 11 months (between when the flight is put onto the schedule and when it actually files) or not ever at all.

But I don't know whether there's a time-of-day pattern to when AA decides whether to release or not release any space that day.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:12 am

Ok I am looking for a little bit of help here.

I have ORD>DCA xfer to IAD>HKG on hold, should be 70k PP in business.
Then I have on a separate booking, HKG>SYD>CNS on hold, should be 40k PP in business.

I am trying to get back to ORD, and the only routing I have found is via AKL. Both of the below show available via QF website.

CNS>MEL>AKL on one segment, should be 30k PP in business.
Finally, AKL>DOH>ORD on the last segment. I think this would be 780k PP, since it is south Pacific to Continental 48, but I am not sure. I tried to book SIN>DOH>ORD earlier via phone, and was told that prices as two awards. Could anyone help here?

Along with the above, I am actually trying to leave from DSM, but every time I search with DSM origin it comes up unavailable, I think due to lack of business inventory. Can I book the above, and then tack on a DSM<>ORD segment in economy since the region is not changing?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finally, AKL>DOH>ORD on the last segment. I think this would be 780k PP, since it is south Pacific to Continental 48, but I am not sure. I tried to book SIN>DOH>ORD earlier via phone, and was told that prices as two awards. Could anyone help here?

Along with the above, I am actually trying to leave from DSM, but every time I search with DSM origin it comes up unavailable, I think due to lack of business inventory. Can I book the above, and then tack on a DSM<>ORD segment in economy since the region is not changing?
Both AKL-DOH-ORD and SIN-DOH-ORD will price as two awards because you cannot transit the Middle East region on an award from South Pacific to North America (AKL) or Asia 2 to North America (SIN). In business, this would price as AKL-DOH (80k) + DOH-ORD (70k), so 150k per person to get home, not including the 30k for CNS-MEL-AKL. That is a silly amount of extra flying and miles to waste IMO.
If you're willing to blow 180k each way for business, have you looked at just an AAnytime award from SYD?

You should be able to add on the flight to/from DSM for the same miles, with a few caveats, so if you find availability in coach ask the agent to add it to your existing flights.

Last edited by JJeffrey; Sep 12, 2018 at 10:37 am
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:05 pm

Both AKL-DOH-ORD and SIN-DOH-ORD will price as two awards because you cannot transit the Middle East region on an award from South Pacific to North America (AKL) or Asia 2 to North America (SIN). In business, this would price as AKL-DOH (80k) + DOH-ORD (70k), so 150k per person to get home, not including the 30k for CNS-MEL-AKL. That is a silly amount of extra flying and miles to waste IMO.
If you're willing to blow 180k each way for business, have you looked at just an AAnytime award from SYD?

You should be able to add on the flight to/from DSM for the same miles, with a few caveats, so if you find availability in coach ask the agent to add it to your existing flights.
Thanks. Yes 180k PP is way more than I want to spend, will look at the direct routing. I was hoping to take advantage of a stop in HKG on the way there.

How would i go about searching for an AAnytime award? The AA website only gives me MilesAAver options to CNS. Do I need to find the ORD<>SYD dates I want, and tack on the SYD<>CNS connection via call? Would I be able to do the same with DSM<>ORD connection?

EDIT: Man, I don't think I can make this work in Feb, just no availability. I can get there fine, but getting home is crazy. DSM>ORD>DCA>xfer to IAD>HKG overnight HKG>SYD>CNS no big deal. There is just nothing above economy availability that isn't 180k PP or more, or goes on BA with YQ fees I won't pay. Looked at SIN, HKG, NRT/HND, SYD, PVG, PEK, CAN, HNL, all unavailable

Last edited by shimps1; Sep 12, 2018 at 12:47 pm
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks. Yes 180k PP is way more than I want to spend, will look at the direct routing. I was hoping to take advantage of a stop in HKG on the way there.

How would i go about searching for an AAnytime award? The AA website only gives me MilesAAver options to CNS. Do I need to find the ORD<>SYD dates I want, and tack on the SYD<>CNS connection via call? Would I be able to do the same with DSM<>ORD connection?

EDIT: Man, I don't think I can make this work in Feb, just no availability. I can get there fine, but getting home is crazy. DSM>ORD>DCA>xfer to IAD>HKG overnight HKG>SYD>CNS no big deal. There is just nothing above economy availability that isn't 180k PP or more, or goes on BA with YQ fees I won't pay. Looked at SIN, HKG, NRT/HND, SYD, PVG, PEK, CAN, HNL, all unavailable
AAnytime awards are only available on an all-AA itinerary. To add CNS-SYD or SYD-CNS to an AAnytime award itinerary, you would have to redeem additional miles for separate SAAver awards on QF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.