Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (expanded 2017) thru 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (expanded 2017) thru 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2018, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lds89
The Flagship Lounge (FL) is AA's international business class lounge. AA does not admit its own elites on domestic itineraries to lounges at all. But it is part of OW, so it has to admit non-AA OWS passengers (just like CX or QF or BA do for AA elites traveling in their respective hubs). AA has FL open at LAX, ORD, MIA, and JFK. Then there is one under construction at DFW and two planned, one at PHL and one at LHR. They will not be putting one in (nor have they ever had one) at BOS.You can access Admirals Clubs at all airports without FL by showing your QF Gold card.
Do other OW airlines like BA/QF/JL essentially limit their domestic traveler elites from their international business lounges by hosting domestic flights in an entirely different terminal? Thus, their elites would be physically blocked from even accessing the international lounges anyways?

Is AA's policy exclusion because in the US, domestic and international flights are not segregated departure side?
Old May 21, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
Do other OW airlines like BA/QF/JL essentially limit their domestic traveler elites from their international business lounges by hosting domestic flights in an entirely different terminal? Thus, their elites would be physically blocked from even accessing the international lounges anyways?

Is AA's policy exclusion because in the US, domestic and international flights are not segregated departure side?
AA's policy relates to the for-pay lounges which other OW airlines do not have (except Qantas - which has the exact same restrictions on their own travelers flying domestically who do not get access to the QF Business Lounges). So QF basically does as you suggest. I don't think that's true of JL or BA though. Since AA operates the Admirals Clubs as a membership program that anyone can buy into they don't extend access on domestic itineraries to their own elites. This is very common in the US as the other programs do it too. And many people do buy or their work buys memberships so I imagine they make some good money off the program.

A secondary reason is likely crowding - the US airlines seem to have much bigger mid tier and above frequent flyer populations and the lounges would be borderline unsusable if every Plat, Plat Pro, and EXP got access.
Old May 21, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by nologic
<snip>

As for the FL in ORD, I was very surprised to find such good wines, especially now that you calling it a business class lounge .not sure there area many business class lounges w such good/ expensive wines .
The ORD Flagship Lounge has some of the best food offerings as well. The FL lounge also has plenty of newspapers available, unlike the United Club in ORD which regularly goes "out of stock" by Noon.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by lds89
AA's policy relates to the for-pay lounges which other OW airlines do not have (except Qantas - which has the exact same restrictions on their own travelers flying domestically who do not get access to the QF Business Lounges). So QF basically does as you suggest. I don't think that's true of JL or BA though. Since AA operates the Admirals Clubs as a membership program that anyone can buy into they don't extend access on domestic itineraries to their own elites. This is very common in the US as the other programs do it too. And many people do buy or their work buys memberships so I imagine they make some good money off the program.

A secondary reason is likely crowding - the US airlines seem to have much bigger mid tier and above frequent flyer populations and the lounges would be borderline unsusable if every Plat, Plat Pro, and EXP got access.
In addition - and perhaps primarily - the USA domestic flight system is huge. Not sure if any other single country comes close. The EU as a whole might comes close, but maybe not - EU travellers have a fantastic train system to travel on that the US travellers do not.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Global321
In addition - and perhaps primarily - the USA domestic flight system is huge. Not sure if any other single country comes close. The EU as a whole might comes close, but maybe not - EU travellers have a fantastic train system to travel on that the US travellers do not.
China is inching closer fast, but not the same kind of market with lounges..
Old May 21, 2018, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
China is inching closer fast, but not the same kind of market with lounges..
Yep. Recent article in The Economist stated China will overtake the U.S. as the largest aviation market by 2022.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Well I finally booked my J ticket from LAX to MEL. I went with an AA code share on Qantas. It was a few hundred dollars more than booking directly on QF but I’m down one international trip this year so I may need the EQMs (plus work pays).

Anyways, I know I have access to Qantas F lounge but there flagship lounge is new to me.

Will I have access to the flagship lounge at LAX?

If so, will I have access to flagship dining?

Assuming my flight from PHX is on time I’ll have about a five hour layover to explore.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:48 pm

Flying JFK-LAX-PDX this weekend in U. Found a mile saaver in business class, from what someone else said I am able to go to the FL lounge because I am flying JFK-LAX but does it matter that I'm coded as U instead of J?
Old May 24, 2018, 12:51 am

no
Originally Posted by snowboardpunk
Flying JFK-LAX-PDX this weekend in U. Found a mile saaver in business class, from what someone else said I am able to go to the FL lounge because I am flying JFK-LAX but does it matter that I'm coded as U instead of J?
Old May 24, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Will I have access to the flagship lounge at LAX?
Yes, you will.

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
If so, will I have access to flagship dining?
No, you won't as you are in J.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:54 pm

Just wondering if an AA EXP would have access to flagship lounge at lax flying lax-sfo-jfk (same day) with sfo to jfk in J.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by hsumh316
Just wondering if an AA EXP would have access to flagship lounge at lax flying lax-sfo-jfk (same day) with sfo to jfk in J.
Yes you will get access as a result of being in J on the transcon (not status related), just show the SFO-JFK BP. You can also get access on arrival in JFK if you want.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Would arrival HKG-LAX on AA in flagship first have access to Flagship Dining in LAX during connection to domestic flight?
Old May 30, 2018, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Would arrival HKG-LAX on AA in flagship first have access to Flagship Dining in LAX during connection to domestic flight?
Yes
Old May 31, 2018, 11:55 am

LAX & JFK flagship lounge access for 321T business

Will I have access to Flagship Lounge at LAX and JFK when flying business on their 321T (3 class) trascon?
Or is that only for the first class on that route?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.