Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: All About AA Flagship Check-In at JFK, LAX, MIA, ORD (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: All About AA Flagship Check-In at JFK, LAX, MIA, ORD (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by BrooklynDave
How about this scenario:

Traveling JFK-LAX-MEL, in October on Qantas after QF has moved from JFK T7 to T8.

Outbound on the QF 787 from JFK-LAX (technically in business since there is no F), then F LAX-MEL.

We would check in at the JFK QF desk, of course, and not expecting Flagship check-in. But...

1). Anyone know if QF will have its own version of fast-tracking security?

2). Will we get access to the AA Flagship Lounge (neither of us has AA or OW status)?

3). Will we get access to Flagship Dining?

Then on the way back we will be on QF into LAX, but AA metal from LAX-JFK, in F, though on a QF ticket

After we go through customs at LAX and re-check the bags, would we have access to Flagship checkin at LAX? Would it even be worth seeking out? I've never flown internationally into LAX, but I think I've read you're sort of in the "basement" of TBIT and to get from there through security to T4 is fairly easy? (Through the connector?) Or do I have that wrong?
I can only help with AA FL access... yes, you will have access by virtue of the INTL BUS/FIRST ticket. Flagship dining - only if QF pays for it. Otherwise no.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Global321
I can only help with AA FL access... yes, you will have access by virtue of the INTL BUS/FIRST ticket. Flagship dining - only if QF pays for it. Otherwise no.
There is a premium cabin security lane at JFK T8.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by seawolf
Does LAX allow for stopping at the terminal curb unattended?

You might be better off parking at closest short term garage, check the bags, return to garage and then return vehicle.
Originally Posted by pmblinn
The attendant that controls access to the Flagship check-in stands at a podium that's literally on the sidewalk outside the door. I've never tried it myself, but I would imagine that person would allow you to drop your bags just inside the door (or somewhere else) while you return your car.
You mean drop the bags off and leave them unattended? If so, when SpeedRicer returns to terminal after the dropping off the rental car, he could find the bags surrounded the bomb squad.
That's what I'm not too sure about. I don't believe I can drop my bags with the "gatekeeper" and then come back (that would take 30-40 minutes with the way rental car shuttles seem to operate at LAX) -- but I was wondering whether they would let me leave the car curbside, do the check-in formalities inside and tag my bags, and then get back in the car and pull away. Technically with a skycap, I'm over at their counter checking in while my car is somewhat unattended, but not sure that same scenario is doable with Flagship check-in (or alternatively, if the "gatekeeper" would take my passport/bags and do the check-in for me inside while I wait outside).

I'll probably pull up and ask, and worst case I'll do short-term parking as suggested. Grace period to leave LAX parking garages without a charge is 10-15 minutes IIRC, I've beaten the clock before...
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Last time (2015) we flew out LHR, AA premium check-in was sort of a joke. Has it changed at all, is it a true Flagship First Check in? Will be traveling in Dec on a AA F award.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Last time (2015) we flew out LHR, AA premium check-in was sort of a joke. Has it changed at all, is it a true Flagship First Check in? Will be traveling in Dec on a AA F award.
Yes, it has. When I used it mid February (2018) the old "Flagship" in area "H" was closed and signs directed you to area "B". There they had a special blocked off area (and access WAS verified) apparently with the same access as other Flagship check-ins. First, yes. EXP/OW Emerald, yes. Business (non CK/EXP/EMLD): NO. (The change...)
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Yes, it has. When I used it mid February (2018) the old "Flagship" in area "H" was closed and signs directed you to area "B". There they had a special blocked off area (and access WAS verified) apparently with the same access as other Flagship check-ins. First, yes. EXP/OW Emerald, yes. Business (non CK/EXP/EMLD): NO. (The change...)
This is nice to know, thank you for the info.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Does an Emerald flying AA JFK-GRU on JJ code have access to FL?

What about immediate family guests, do they have access along with the OWE?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:16 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Does an Emerald flying AA JFK-GRU on JJ code have access to FL?

What about immediate family guests, do they have access along with the OWE?
Are you referring to Flagship lounge access or Flagship check-in? They have different policies.

If lounge access, this is the wrong thread. But to answer your question, JJ is oneworld. It would still follow FL lounge access policy.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...hip-lounge.jsp
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Access Clarification

Question: I know Flagship Check-in, when it first opened, required a continuing INTL First flight to qualify. For example, SYD-LAX-ORD - even if SYD-LAX was in F, did not qualify for the recheck in LA since all INTL segments were complete. The reverse, ORD-LAX-SYD did qualify (once ORD opened FL CI) since the INTL segment was not yet flown - even if it was QF operated.

The new access (for EXP) state "You can use Flagship® First Check-In if you're flying on qualifying international flights operated by American(regardless of cabin)" The policy for OWE states " You can use Flagship® First Check-In if you’re flying on any flight operated by American (regardless of cabin).* *American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum customers traveling solely on North American itineraries do not qualify for Flagship® First Check-In access." Source.

So my question (in two parts) for EXP access:
(1) INTL (AA) -> US -> US Connection: allowed or not? I'd guess a non-AA/OWE is yes, not sure about EXP as continuing segment(s) after customs is domestic only.
(2) If the answer to (1) is yes, then same as (1) - Except incoming INTL is IB or BA or QF on AA codeshare - not AA Operated. (Although of course the domestic connection is.)

I suspect the specification for AA operated comes form the fact you always check-in/re-check via the operating carrier. But I suspect it also implies no access for EXP returning to the US after clearing customs - as is most certainly did when first launched. (The good new is the new Flagship Lounge will allow access in these examples! LHR, at this point, is still EXP/OWE/CK/First only - does not include J access.)
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Question: I know Flagship Check-in, when it first opened, required a continuing INTL First flight to qualify. For example, SYD-LAX-ORD - even if SYD-LAX was in F, did not qualify for the recheck in LA since all INTL segments were complete. The reverse, ORD-LAX-SYD did qualify (once ORD opened FL CI) since the INTL segment was not yet flown - even if it was QF operated.

The new access (for EXP) state "You can use Flagship® First Check-In if you're flying on qualifying international flights operated by American(regardless of cabin)" The policy for OWE states " You can use Flagship® First Check-In if you’re flying on any flight operated by American (regardless of cabin).* *American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum customers traveling solely on North American itineraries do not qualify for Flagship® First Check-In access." Source.

(1) INTL (AA) -> US -> US Connection: allowed or not? I'd guess a non-AA/OWE is yes, not sure about EXP as continuing segment(s) after customs is domestic only.
(2) If the answer to (1) is yes, then same as (1) - Except incoming INTL is IB or BA or QF on AA codeshare - not AA Operated. (Although of course the domestic connection is.)

I suspect the specification for AA operated comes form the fact you always check-in/re-check via the operating carrier. But I suspect it also implies no access for EXP returning to the US after clearing customs - as is most certainly did when first launched. (The good new is the new Flagship Lounge will allow access in these examples! LHR, at this point, is still EXP/OWE/CK/First only - does not include J access.)
In this case I am not sure there's a need for Flagship check-in? There is usually a luggage check station right after immigration, which I am sure you know. In terms of BP, I could usually get them from the check-in overseas, just no gate assignment sometimes. I usually switch to mobile BP when land in the U.S. and just forget about the paper BP.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:48 pm

I think (1) is yes and (2) is no. The old rules referred to OW long-haul F in the "outbound itinerary" -- from the current point forward, as you note. That phrase isn't there now, so it should work for EXP or F pax as long as there's a long-haul somewhere (making it not solely a "North American itinerary"), with the new provisos that the international flight must be AA-operated but that class of service doesn't matter for EXP. I think AA-operated is intended as a nontrivial restriction precisely to cut out those flying AA domestic to OW international.

As EXP, I have successfully used Flagship Check-in at ORD connecting AA I-to-D.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
In this case I am not sure there's a need for Flagship check-in?
Jump to the front of the security line?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red

Are you referring to Flagship lounge access or Flagship check-in? They have different policies.

If lounge access, this is the wrong thread. But to answer your question, JJ is oneworld. It would still follow FL lounge access policy.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...hip-lounge.jsp
Sorry for not being clear earlier, Flagship Check in is what I mean.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Jump to the front of the security line?
lol good point.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
In this case I am not sure there's a need for Flagship check-in? There is usually a luggage check station right after immigration, which I am sure you know. In terms of BP, I could usually get them from the check-in overseas, just no gate assignment sometimes. I usually switch to mobile BP when land in the U.S. and just forget about the paper BP.
i don't think IB can issue precheck, and even the precheck line can be long at ORD, so I was thinking in terms of getting new BP and then jumping to the front of the line. No biggie however - more idle curiosity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.