FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1966301-archive-aadvantage-million-miler-program-dec-2011-master-thd.html)

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Aug 24, 2011 1:52 pm

Even if I sign up for the cc offer and use it like I use AMEX for everyday purchases that would only give me another 40K or so in miles before 12/2012.

I guess its going to be almost five years (approaching 1.5 MM LTM now) before hitting 2MM, unless I end up in a job/career that involves massive amounts of air travel, which I really have no desire for.

jpzeller Aug 24, 2011 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ambraciot (Post 16986762)
Without MM status or a special offer, there will now be very little reason to credit a rental car or hotel to AA.

Maybe I'm dense, but I don't understand - those rental car/hotel dollars charged will still accrue MILES, nicht wahr? The miles will simply not count toward million-mile status.

Correct?

AAExPlat Aug 24, 2011 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by ethang801 (Post 16986833)
No, not everybody has that opportunity. I would love to but Citibank won't give me another card.

You have a few options:

1) Upgrade an existing card to the new card

2) get rid of some of the old cards now and apply soon for the new card

Course of action #2 is not a guaranteed success, but #1 should be if any of the recent promos were used by you.

Paul3456 Aug 24, 2011 1:53 pm

I am currently Lifetime Platium. My emaiil from AA said I will be grandfathered in.

eireman Aug 24, 2011 1:53 pm

Am currently 60,000 short of 3mm. and will not be flying again this year

The plan was to transfer 60,000 from my diners club to AA in early Jan 2012 to get the 4 SWU with max expiry date ( that would be Feb 2014- correct???)

Now I guess it would be best to transfer 59,000 before Nov 30,2011 and then fly a segment in early 2012.

If I transfer all 60,000 now , when will my expiry date be for the 4 x SWU

Any thing wrong with above logic. Tks

dyrewolf31 Aug 24, 2011 1:54 pm

I guess the strategizing begins now. I will be at 1.7mm by 11/31/11, and I spend about 150K a year on credit cards. I could drop the $450 and use the WorldElite MC for 2012 and add 150K miles to my total = 1.85mm. Plus the roughly 25k I actually fly in a year, that's 1.875. I can buy another 50k from AA = 1.925. That's enough that I will get it via flying soon after.

So close yet so far away.

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines (Post 16986175)
As promised, today I’m sharing with you the details of the new AAdvantage® Million MilerSM program.

Here’s how it’s going to work:

Starting December 1, 2011, AAdvantage base miles earned by flying on American Airlines, American Eagle® or the AmericanConnection® carrier or any AAdvantage program participating airline will count towards Million Miler status. Before you get nervous about just BIS miles counting, for those of you who have the new Citi Executive(SM) / AAdvantage® World Elite(TM) MasterCard® credit card, as a limited time offer, one AAdvantage mile for every dollar spent on eligible purchases using this card will count toward Million Miler status. Bonus miles and additional miles earned through special offers will not count. The Citi Executive(SM) / AAdvantage® World Elite(TM) MasterCard® credit card account must be open and in good standing by December 1, 2011, and miles must post to billing statements through December 2012. Realize that this makes American Airlines the only major US airline to provide a significant non-flight way to achieve Million Miler status. And one of the few to allow Million Miler miles accrual on participating airlines.

Here are the benefits at each Million Miler threshold:
  • At 1,000,000 Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members will receive lifetime AAdvantage Gold® status and 35,000 AAdvantage bonus miles (which, as you know, can be exchanged for eight 500-mile upgrades if that’s what you prefer)
  • At 2,000,000 Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members will receive lifetime AAdvantage Platinum® status and four one-way systemwide upgrades
  • At each additional Million Miler mile mark, AAdvantage members will receive four additional one-way systemwide upgrades

You might be wondering about the AAdvantage miles you’ve earned so far. The good news is that when the Million Miler program launches on December 1, your starting Million Miler balance will include every AAdvantage mile you’ve ever earned since joining the program. And any Million Miler status or benefits you’ve earned so far remain as well.

When you log into your AAdvantage account on AA.com on and after December 1, you’ll see your Million Miler balance separate from your award miles, so you can easily track your progress toward these mileage milestones.

For more information you can visit http://bit.ly/aadvmillion or ask any questions you may have right here.

Thank you for your continued loyalty, and we look forward to seeing you on board soon.

Maya Leibman
President – AAdvantage Loyalty Program

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

For the previous, now closed thread on this topic, please see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...r-program.html

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

crimson400 Aug 24, 2011 1:54 pm

Just so I'm clear on the credit card implications, the Starwood AMEX card that transfers $1 --> 1.2 miles (in increments over 20,000) will still transfer to AA miles, they just won't count toward MM status?

TTT103 Aug 24, 2011 1:57 pm

I have mixed emotions over this whole change. However, for myself, I reached the 1 million mark about a year or so ago, so it doesn't really affect me. The intent of the program was always to be a frequent flyer program, but I have a feeling that with credit card bonuses and other avenues to earn Miles, the program deviated from its original mission . I guess this means that folks currently approaching the 1 million mark had better get very creative between now and December 1

AAExPlat Aug 24, 2011 1:57 pm

And for some general commentary...the Lifetime program on AA has been way too lax for years and has in my opinion rewarded the wrong kinds of folks. The churners, the serial abusers etc. Those of us who are going on 10 years EXP have really been disproportionately disadvantaged in some ways.

I appreciate the new move to reward those who truly support the backbone of AA's existence....flying on their aircraft. I reckon that of my 2.6MM miles that about 1-1.2MM are BIS.

Say what you want, but unlike other airlines, AA looks out for us top tier elites. Whether it's making lifetime status tougher or not handing out lifetime EXP, I appreciate that my business on a year to year basis is appreciated and its benefits protected by AA.

UserMark Aug 24, 2011 1:58 pm

This was sort of asked, but I don't see an answer.
If someone today is between 1MM and 2MM and already received their 8 stickers when crossing 1MM (and never used them), can it be an option to trade those 8 stickers for the 35000 miles?

dstan Aug 24, 2011 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by dyrewolf31 (Post 16986866)
I guess the strategizing begins now. I will be at 1.7mm by 11/31/11, and I spend about 150K a year on credit cards. I could drop the $450 and use the WorldElite MC for 2012 and add 150K miles to my total = 1.85mm. Plus the roughly 25k I actually fly in a year, that's 1.91. I can buy another 50k from AA = 1.96. That's enough that I will get it via flying soon after.

So close yet so far away.

Keep in mind that, depending on age and travel patterns, it may make sense for some just to wait out the additional time to achieve lifetime status thru BIS, especially if one already qualifies for PLT or EXP annually. (Lest we get too caught up on status for it's own sake. :))

However, in your case, you would move up from GLD to PLT, so that might be worth it to you to do it sooner rather than wait the additional 12 years.

TTT103 Aug 24, 2011 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by crimson400 (Post 16986877)
Just so I'm clear on the credit card implications, the Starwood AMEX card that transfers $1 --> 1.2 miles (in increments over 20,000) will still transfer to AA miles, they just won't count toward MM status?

Yes, they will count to the million mark until Dec 1, but will count only as miles after that time.

martinp13 Aug 24, 2011 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by crimson400 (Post 16986877)

I believe it's 1 -> 1.25 (20000 -> 25000), and there's no announcement that that will change. Yes, they will be miles, but not Million Miler miles after 12/1.

GadgetFreak Aug 24, 2011 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by lewisdrummond (Post 16986357)
How many people can hit 1 million BIS seat miles? That seems awfully high...

United has always been actual flight miles. Bonuses, etc dont count. Im at a bit over 1 million on UA. Others are well over 2 million. Im at about 1.65 million on AA. I would guess about half are actual miles. Basically it is EXP on mile for 10 years. By no means easy but certainly doable. I should be close to 1.8 million on AA by the time it switches. Need another 2-3 years to hit the 2 M mark after that. I should add that on UA, where it is actual flight miles, they give lifetime Plat equivalent at 1 M miles rather than 2 M. So that is actually more attractive than the AA program, until UA changes of course.

penlin Aug 24, 2011 2:00 pm

I will be at 1996140 by Dec 1, 2011. hmm.. I think I might just grab an extra flight somewhere and cross this off my list....