FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1966301-archive-aadvantage-million-miler-program-dec-2011-master-thd.html)

Dedicated Aug 24, 2011 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld (Post 16986689)
To clarify, only BIS will count, and not the 100%/25% elite bonus for flying, right?

Correct, BIS only.

FWIW, it's harder to gain MM status and slightly improves the value of status.

dfw_plt_aa Aug 24, 2011 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines (Post 16986634)
Keep in mind at United, only BIS miles on United count. On AA, all BIS miles on AAdvantage participant carriers count. As does the Citi Executive Card through next year. That's way behind?

Absolutely, with this change AAdvantage is way behind United. If I were starting today to select a frequent flyer program and was interested in lifetime status, I would select United since it is much easier to fly 1 million miles for lifetime mid-tier on United versus needing 2 million miles on American. As an additional sweetener for United, 3 million miles gives lifetime top-tier on United, while there is no lifetime top-tier on American.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Aug 24, 2011 1:36 pm

To clarify, only BIS will count, and not the 100%/25% elite bonus for flying, right?

Yes, I just got the unfortunate and expected email. It clearly states base miles, which would to me would mean that you would only get credit for the actual miles for flights under 500 miles.

brp Aug 24, 2011 1:38 pm

From the link included in the OP

Other AAdvantage miles earned such as bonus miles and double miles will not count.
Consider it clarified.

Cheers.

Bucanero Aug 24, 2011 1:38 pm

What to do ?

I'm at 954.442, have the Citi MC Exec, should I wait to cross the 1MM after Dec 01 or before ?

TrojanHorse Aug 24, 2011 1:40 pm

Question 1

So how do sub 500 mile segments count toward the lifetime balance?

Right now as EXP I get a 500 mile minimum? Would I get a 500 mile credit toward lifetime marks as well? or would I get the actual miles flown?

Question 2

I have a flight on the 30th that arrives just after midnight (12/1); just curious will this count as just base miles or will the EXP bonus count (for one last time) as well?

Question 3

This was an unofficial program right (MM Program) - So now is it (MM Program) an official program within the AAdvantage program?

GUWonder Aug 24, 2011 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by BlassSJU (Post 16986318)
So, the current unpublished program will stay intact until Nov 30, 2011, I assume. No 35k miles for 1mm...

So the days of "international" 1 MM customers getting the 4 SWUs for hitting 1MM status are coming to an end?

Ambraciot Aug 24, 2011 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by brp (Post 16986666)
I don't since most people in the AAdvantage program knew nothing about the MM benefits until now, and never knew what counted and what didn't. This is a new program to them. Why would it cause them to change their existing habits?

I mean, some FT folks might, but we're minuscule and not major.

Cheers.

AA's million miler program has been one of the most visible unpublished benefits in the industry. While I agree most people with accounts have been blissfully unaware, most of the people racking up miles probably googled it after hearing about the Clooney movie.

Without MM status or a special offer, there will now be very little reason to credit a rental car or hotel to AA.

I presume AA will change the way rental car miles post to avoid confusion. Recently my rental car miles have posted as base miles, while my hotel booking miles posted as bonus.

jcmitchell21 Aug 24, 2011 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Bucanero (Post 16986745)
I'm at 954.442, have the Citi MC Exec, should I wait to cross the 1MM after Dec 01 or before ?

Crossing after will give you the option of stickers or miles, while crossing before you will just get stickers.

jamflyer Aug 24, 2011 1:41 pm

Bummer....Pkerr and I crossed over a million at the same time. Today, I am at 1.470 he is at 2.450 - sucks to be me....

chix Aug 24, 2011 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by PCTraveler (Post 16986583)
Doesn't bode well for that announcement.

Are the current LT members grandfathered in?

I would like to know that answer too....

TrojanHorse Aug 24, 2011 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by dfw_plt_aa (Post 16986719)
Absolutely, with this change AAdvantage is way behind United. If I were starting today to select a frequent flyer program and was interested in lifetime status, I would select United since it is much easier to fly 1 million miles for lifetime mid-tier on United versus needing 2 million miles on American. As an additional sweetener for United, 3 million miles gives lifetime top-tier on United, while there is no lifetime top-tier on American.

Would you still select UA if they go to that revenue based status FFP?

Athena53 Aug 24, 2011 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Ritz (Post 16986627)
Bankdirect. Fidelity. Citibank.

Lots of withdrawals and account closures predicted for 12/1/11.

First of all, thanks to my fellow FT members for the heads-up when it looked like this might happen. I hit 1 million a couple of months ago by opening a BD account and churning some brokerage accounts. I'll never hit 2 million under the current rules. Not even gonna try.

I'll keep BankDirect- it works for me and miles are better than zero interest from my local brick and mortar bank. AA Amex will be gone as soon as the annual fee kicks in- not sure about the AA Visa. I'd moved TD Ameritrade money into Fidelity as soon as the TD Ameritrade points hit but will probably keep Fidelity. Will be a little more careful about Aadvantage e-shoppping- I've overpaid slightly on some purchases to use AA-affiliated merchants but that will end.

It was fun while it lasted.

Dave Noble Aug 24, 2011 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bucanero (Post 16986745)

If a N American resident....If you would prefer 35,000 points to 8 electronic upgrade credits, wait till december

If a non N American resident... do it now and get the 4 systemwide upgrades

( assuming that the non published scheme is still operating )

TrojanHorse Aug 24, 2011 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by chix (Post 16986767)
I would like to know that answer too....

based on:

You might be wondering about the AAdvantage miles you’ve earned so far. The good news is that when the Million Miler program launches on December 1, your starting Million Miler balance will include every AAdvantage mile you’ve ever earned since joining the program. And any Million Miler status or benefits you’ve earned so far remain as well.

it would indicate that the answer is YES