FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1966301-archive-aadvantage-million-miler-program-dec-2011-master-thd.html)

jbruer Aug 24, 2011 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by rayhurst (Post 16986515)
Unfortunately, this puts the Aadvantage Million Miler program behind that of United. For 2mm BIS miles at UA, you get lifetime Red Carpet Club membership and for 3mm BIS miles, you get lifetime 1K (Exp equivalent).

And remember that 1MM on UA gives you Premier Exec (mid-tier).

Dave Noble Aug 24, 2011 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by AJLondon (Post 16986505)

So whether I fly JFK-LAX on a $3000 J/F fare or a $500 S/N fare, the million miler credit is the same? Seriously!? :confused: :(

Seems logical It is a million "miler" programme; the distance is the same regardless of class travelled

ethang801 Aug 24, 2011 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines (Post 16986175)
Before you get nervous about just BIS miles counting, for those of you who have the new Citi Executive(SM) / AAdvantageŽ World Elite(TM) MasterCardŽ credit card, as a limited time offer, one AAdvantage mile for every dollar spent on eligible purchases using this card will count toward Million Miler status. Bonus miles and additional miles earned through special offers will not count. The Citi Executive(SM) / AAdvantageŽ World Elite(TM) MasterCardŽ credit card account must be open and in good standing by December 1, 2011, and miles must post to billing statements through December 2012.

Great! Can you get Citibank to give me one of these cards?

Ritz Aug 24, 2011 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 16986547)
I read it to mean that BankDirect miles credited after November 30, 2011 will not count toward lifetime status. In other words, the miles which post during the first week of December will not count.

Bankdirect. Fidelity. Citibank.

Lots of withdrawals and account closures predicted for 12/1/11.

AmericanAirlines Aug 24, 2011 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by rayhurst (Post 16986515)
Unfortunately, this puts the Aadvantage Million Miler program behind that of United. For 2mm BIS miles at UA, you get lifetime Red Carpet Club membership and for 3mm BIS miles, you get lifetime 1K (Exp equivalent).

Keep in mind at United, only BIS miles on United count. On AA, all BIS miles on AAdvantage participant carriers count. As does the Citi Executive Card through next year. That's way behind?

Ritz Aug 24, 2011 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 16986615)
Seems logical It is a million "miler" programme; the distance is the same regardless of class travelled

LOL, I was thinking the same thing Dave. Glad you said it. :)

jcmitchell21 Aug 24, 2011 1:25 pm

Thanks AmericanAirlines for finally getting this info out there. The breaking of the bad news is sometimes less heartbreaking than the anticipation/speculation of it.

Ambraciot Aug 24, 2011 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Ritz (Post 16986627)
Bankdirect. Fidelity. Citibank.

Lots of withdrawals and account closures predicted for 12/1/11.

I also expect a major shift from AAdvantage to other programs, particularly hotel and credit card programs.

brp Aug 24, 2011 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Ambraciot (Post 16986650)
I also expect a major shift from AAdvantage to other programs, particularly hotel and credit card programs.

I don't since most people in the AAdvantage program knew nothing about the MM benefits until now, and never knew what counted and what didn't. This is a new program to them. Why would it cause them to change their existing habits?

I mean, some FT folks might, but we're minuscule and not major.

Cheers.

Ritz Aug 24, 2011 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines (Post 16986634)
count. As does the Citi Executive Card through next year.

Just a point of clarification, AA. So you're saying those of us who have been very loyal, very longtime Citibank Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard holders do not have the option to continue to earn BIS miles for the following year that brand new, bonus-chasing Citi Executive Cardholders have?

Dave Noble Aug 24, 2011 1:31 pm

I don't . I suspect that the number of people who were holding these cards with the expectation of getting lifetime status on AA through the unpublished programme is fairly low

Dave

dnbglobal Aug 24, 2011 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 16986493)
The CC bit is a nice touch, though expiring it after 12 months is a bit rough, as is only permitting it on the MasterCards and not the AmEx.

So is there any benefit to continuing with the AA Citi AMEX card for MM accumulation?

dstan Aug 24, 2011 1:32 pm

I have to agree. This will certainly change completely my approach to credit card spending, dining programs, mileage bonuses for hotel stays & rental cars, other AA mileage bonuses and offers, etc., etc.

I am sure that AA has taken all of this into account into their calculations, of course, but it goes without saying that this is a huge negative for FTers who have know about this program for many years.

Edited to add: brp's and Dave Noble's points above about the broader impacts are well-taken, however.

BlissWorld Aug 24, 2011 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines (Post 16986634)
Keep in mind at United, only BIS miles on United count. On AA, all BIS miles on AAdvantage participant carriers count. As does the Citi Executive Card through next year. That's way behind?

To clarify, only BIS will count, and not the 100%/25% elite bonus for flying, right?

AmericanAirlines Aug 24, 2011 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Ritz (Post 16986673)
Just a point of clarification, AA. So you're saying those of us who have been very loyal, very longtime Citibank Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard holders do not have the option to continue to earn BIS miles for the following year that brand new, bonus-chasing Citi Executive Cardholders have?

You have the opportunity to earn BIS miles by flying AA or any AAdvantage participating airline. Unlike any other airline, you also have the opportunity to earn miles towards Million Miler status through the Citi Executive Card. This is a great card with a lot of benefits which you should check out if you haven't had the chance already.