FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1966301-archive-aadvantage-million-miler-program-dec-2011-master-thd.html)

CMK10 Aug 29, 2012 4:13 am

I flew LGA-RDU last week and saw that even though I'm AA Plat I only get actual flown miles towards 1MM and not the 500 mile minimum. That's an annoying change.

ORD-TGU Aug 29, 2012 7:14 am

No promos!
As many stated, this could be a potential source of revenue, but AA does not see it that way. They just made the changes and forget about it.

I was close to the 2MM mark, so I jumped on the offer to buy miles when there was a 30% discount plus a 20% bonus. Never in my life I would have paid to get miles, specially when there are many ways to get them for free or very cheap.

But I would guess if that today, some people are short of 1MM or 2MM by less than, say 100K, some would spend the money to get miles to secure lifetime Gold or Platinum.
Just my $.02

hbtr Aug 30, 2012 12:39 am

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU (Post 19215246)
No promos!
As many stated, this could be a potential source of revenue, but AA does not see it that way. They just made the changes and forget about it.

I was close to the 2MM mark, so I jumped on the offer to buy miles when there was a 30% discount plus a 20% bonus. Never in my life I would have paid to get miles, specially when there are many ways to get them for free or very cheap.

But I would guess if that today, some people are short of 1MM or 2MM by less than, say 100K, some would spend the money to get miles to secure lifetime Gold or Platinum.
Just my $.02

I thought purchased miles didn't count toward MM status any more?

uxb Aug 30, 2012 4:59 am

They don't. The OP decided to buy miles on promo BEFORE the conversion to MM2.0.

mvoight Aug 30, 2012 7:17 am

Originally Posted by wjj (Post 18767035)
Or is there some secret threshold out there? 4 million miles perhaps?

It's not really a secret. It was even discussed in a major motion picture.
At 10 million miles you get to sit with the chief pilot, who looks a lot like Sam Elliott. I guess if Segal can be an actor and a deputy sheriff, then an actor can also be a chief pilot, and not just a wannabe like that Dirty Dancing guy.

uxb Aug 30, 2012 7:52 am

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 19222020)
It's not really a secret. It was even discussed in a major motion picture.
At 10 million miles you get to sit with the chief pilot, who looks a lot like Sam Elliott. I guess if Segal can be an actor and a deputy sheriff, then an actor can also be a chief pilot, and not just a wannabe like that Dirty Dancing guy.

Oh snap!

olddallas Aug 31, 2012 10:07 am

Originally Posted by hbtr (Post 19220893)
I thought purchased miles didn't count toward MM status any more?

They don't count. That doesn't mean that in the future AA won't run a limited time special where they would count. They seem to run discounted price specials fairly often. MM would be another tool in the marketing belt.

A more likely possibility would be to change the rules on the Citibank AAdvantage Executive Mastercard, which is due to stop earning MM miles at the end of this year (for folks who got the card before a certain date). We might expect them to at least count the 10k EQM for $40k spend bonus as MM miles as a future card enhancement. They will have to do something or the card will lose most of its customers in 2013.

However, don't expect them to do much of anything about the MM program until bankruptcy is finished.

JR8999 Sep 25, 2012 7:57 am

Other options to accumulate Million Miler miles?

Newbie here and I'm sure this has been asked before but... I'm 50K miles away from reaching Million Miler. I don't fly much for biz any more. I know there was a credit card promotion in 2011 but is there any way now to accumulate miles that count toward the goal other the the old fashioned way of flying? If not, what is your opinion as to if they will offer something in the future?

josephstern Sep 25, 2012 9:50 am

Originally Posted by JR8999 (Post 19380598)
Newbie here and I'm sure this has been asked before but... I'm 50K miles away from reaching Million Miler. I don't fly much for biz any more. I know there was a credit card promotion in 2011 but is there any way now to accumulate miles that count toward the goal other the the old fashioned way of flying? If not, what is your opinion as to if they will offer something in the future?

That promotion is over, and there have really been no hints at all about other ways to get lifetime miles since.

I'm pretty sure you'll have to close the gap with BIS miles.

nidem Sep 25, 2012 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 19214628)
I flew LGA-RDU last week and saw that even though I'm AA Plat I only get actual flown miles towards 1MM and not the 500 mile minimum. That's an annoying change.

Crap, I didn't know that is how it works. Is this the change the was implemented last year? If so, I should have paid better attention.

NYTA Nov 2, 2012 12:26 am

Million Miler Points on Partners?

Does anyone know if I can earn them on BA/IB and LY?

nall Nov 2, 2012 1:18 am

Originally Posted by NYTA (Post 19609430)

Definitely yes on BA/IB.

Microwave Nov 2, 2012 1:33 am

I've gone ahead and merged your question into the consolidated thread on this topic.

Please remember that FlyerTalkers are expected to search before creating a new thread. In this case, a search in post titles (using the advanced search feature) for "million miler" would get you to this thread, where the OP (actually posted by AmericanAirlines) contains the answers you seek. If you're still confused, this is the place to get clarification. Good luck!

~Moderator

nkedel Nov 2, 2012 2:00 am

Originally Posted by nall (Post 19609526)
Definitely yes on BA/IB.

I can confirm JL and (when on a mile-earning fare code) CX.

My recollection was that it was EQM-earning (OW flights, and codeshares) but a quick look at the head of the thread seems to indicate that the base miles from any AAdvantage-mile-earning flight would count, even on non-OW partners.

nall Nov 2, 2012 5:27 am

Originally Posted by nkedel (Post 19609595)
I can confirm JL and (when on a mile-earning fare code) CX.

My recollection was that it was EQM-earning (OW flights, and codeshares) but a quick look at the head of the thread seems to indicate that the base miles from any AAdvantage-mile-earning flight would count, even on non-OW partners.

Good caveat to point out. I recently took a OW partner flight that earned less than 100% EQM, and that amount was what my million miler counter was incremented by, not the actual miles flown!