FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1966301-archive-aadvantage-million-miler-program-dec-2011-master-thd.html)

brp May 2, 2012 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by danville 1K (Post 18500331)
I've done a couple searches and couldn't find the answer to this question. Do miles flown on Alaska and credited to your AAdvantage account accumulate towards MM status on AA? Or is AA like UA where only miles on UA metal count towards MM status?

Wasn't sure if I'd be able to tell, but the answer is Yes. We had some AS flights in March. I was able to look at them, and select the MM view to see that the mileage was included.

Cheers.

uxb May 2, 2012 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by danville 1K (Post 18500331)
I've done a couple searches and couldn't find the answer to this question. Do miles flown on Alaska and credited to your AAdvantage account accumulate towards MM status on AA? Or is AA like UA where only miles on UA metal count towards MM status?

Originally Posted by brp (Post 18500739)
Wasn't sure if I'd be able to tell, but the answer is Yes. We had some AS flights in March. I was able to look at them, and select the MM view to see that the mileage was included.

Cheers.

AA counts all flights flown on AA/AE metal, as well as flights flown on OW partners in the MM count. However, if what brp says is correct, then it would appear that AA counts any flight in which you earn EQM. This would explain why AS counts and why B6 does not.

danville 1K May 2, 2012 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by brp (Post 18500739)

Cheers.

Originally Posted by uxb (Post 18500767)
AA counts all flights flown on AA/AE metal, as well as flights flown on OW partners in the MM count. However, if what brp says is correct, then it would appear that AA counts any flight in which you earn EQM. This would explain why AS counts and why B6 does not.

Thanks for the quick response. Makes AA even more appealing as I can us AS up and down the west coast.

dmp614 May 3, 2012 7:30 am

B6 does count

Originally Posted by uxb (Post 18500767)

Actually Jet Blue does count - on markets where AA mileage is accrued. I flew (unfortunately) B6 from Buffalo to JFK in January and I earned RDM and MMM, but no EQx (EQS, EQP, EQM).

It's not EQM that's the trigger or OW status - it's a flight that earns you miles.

From https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/millionMiler.jsp:

Starting on December 1, 2011, base miles earned by flying on American Airlines, American Eagle® or the AmericanConnection® carrier or any eligible AAdvantage program participating airline will count towards Million Miler status.

uxb May 3, 2012 7:32 am

Originally Posted by dmp614 (Post 18506157)
Actually Jet Blue does count - on markets where AA mileage is accrued. I flew (unfortunately) B6 from Buffalo to JFK in January and I earned RDM and MMM, but no EQx (EQS, EQP, EQM).

It's not EQM that's the trigger or OW status - it's a flight that earns you miles.

From https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/millionMiler.jsp:

Starting on December 1, 2011, base miles earned by flying on American Airlines, American Eagle® or the AmericanConnection® carrier or any eligible AAdvantage program participating airline will count towards Million Miler status.

Hmm... Gonna have to go back through my statements then. I don't recall my B6 flight to SYR getting MM.

UPDATE: Actually, scratch that. I cannot go back before December '11. :-/

ynk50 May 26, 2012 7:32 am

are they still giving the luggage tags if you reach 2 million miles??

Keysgay May 26, 2012 7:57 am

Yep

I just made 3 million, new EXP card and 2 luggage tags. Sweet! :D

Originally Posted by ynk50 (Post 18645330)
are they still giving the luggage tags if you reach 2 million miles??

ynk50 May 26, 2012 8:48 am

yea but u got exp platinum from flying alot im talking about LIFETIME STATUS do you get them for lifetime status??

ynk50 May 26, 2012 8:49 am

also do buying miles count toward million miler status?

ILuvParis May 26, 2012 8:59 am

Originally Posted by ynk50 (Post 18645605)
yea but u got exp platinum from flying alot im talking about LIFETIME STATUS do you get them for lifetime status??

Yes, if you're talking about luggage tags.

ILuvParis May 26, 2012 9:00 am

Originally Posted by ynk50 (Post 18645611)
also do buying miles count toward million miler status?

No. Flown miles only.

ynk50 May 26, 2012 9:06 am

the new million miler status is awful in my opinion. i had lifetime gold and was only 100,000 from platinum. most miles i earned with my mastercard. i think its ridiculous that they got rid of using your mastercard towards it.

Stripy May 26, 2012 10:47 am

Originally Posted by ynk50 (Post 18645672)
the new million miler status is awful in my opinion. i had lifetime gold and was only 100,000 from platinum. most miles i earned with my mastercard. i think its ridiculous that they got rid of using your mastercard towards it.

Is it disappointing that the game changed? Yes. Is it ridiculous. No. The AA MM program had been one of the more generous ones (if not the most generous one) for quite some time and is still very competitive today. To be perfectly frank, it was probably at least partly due to users that hardly ever spent $ on AA but still got LT status (via the use of CCs) that caused AA to revise the program.

Some argue that AA made/makes a lot of $ off the CC spend and so should allow the miles to count to LT status. I disagree, in return for making AA $ on the CCs we get miles - I see no reason why we should get even more (although it was very nice while we did).

I say all this as someone who came late to the party and got over 50% of my miles via CC spend. Had I been a couple of years earlier to the game or if they'd kept the rules as they were I would have had LT Plat ages ago. Does it bother me? Yes, a bit, but I completely understand why they did it.

ILuvParis May 26, 2012 10:52 am

Originally Posted by MauiTigerShark (Post 18646030)
Is it disappointing that the game changed? Yes. Is it ridiculous. No. The AA MM program had been one of the more generous ones (if not the most generous one) for quite some time and is still very competitive today. To be perfectly frank, it was probably at least partly due to users that hardly ever spent $ on AA but still got LT status (via the use of CCs) that caused AA to revise the program.

Some argue that AA made/mades a lot of $ off the CC spend and so should allow the miles to count to LT status. I disagree, in return for making AA $ on the CCs we get miles - I see no reason why we should get even more (although it was very nice while we did).

I say all this as someone who came late to the party and got over 50% of my miles via CC spend. Had I been a couple of years earlier to the game or if they'd kept the rules as they were I would have had LT Plat ages ago. Does it bother me? Yes, a bit, but I completely understand why they did it.

And, someone 100K short of Lifetime Platinum is in pretty good shape.

uxb May 26, 2012 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis (Post 18646050)
And, someone 100K short of Lifetime Platinum is in pretty good shape.

+1, It will take me anywhere between 8 and 16 years to attain LT Platinum (assuming AA is around in 8-16 years). ;)