FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1966301-archive-aadvantage-million-miler-program-dec-2011-master-thd.html)

tom911 Aug 24, 2011 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by AAExPlat (Post 16986899)
I appreciate the new move to reward those who truly support the backbone of AA's existence....flying on their aircraft. I reckon that of my 2.6MM miles that about 1-1.2MM are BIS.

I made my lifetime primarily with flights, too (guessing about 1.5MM of actual AA flights). Also have 1MM lifetime locked in at UA though I'm not sure that isn't going to be seriously eroded next month in terms of benefits. Took 19 years to get that, including a 5 year hiatus during their bankruptcy.

I would have preferred AA extend lifetime Platinum to those with 1MM of flight activity as UA does instead of raising the goal to 2MM, but maybe that's just too difficult to sort out with their software. Two million flight miles is a pretty lofty goal for someone just starting with AA year-end with actual flight miles and it will be a pretty elite group to be in.

Tom in Albuquerque, New Mexico today

Tango Aug 24, 2011 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by siankaan1 (Post 16986471)
It's confused by transfer of TWA status and miles, and I no longer remember how that program worked. But 3,000 BIS a week, say 40 weeks a year, for 25 years is 3 million, and that feels about right.

You might be interested that one of the unpublished benefits for 10,000,000 mileage mebers is your choice of free hour with a shrink or a proctologisit.

GUWonder Aug 24, 2011 5:02 pm

Ophtamologist, not proctologist, needed for those who see that 10,000,000 miles comes with anything more than 4 SWUs and new card/luggage tag set with a letter.

Originally Posted by ma91pmh (Post 16988107)
not really. or at least not necessarily. all that shows is ms leibman is married. mrs = married. miss = not married. ms = p*** off and mind your own business :D

Ms. = playing the field; and/or mind your own business; and/or have different family name than spouse/significant other? :D

Don't need to be in opthamology to see that.

swag Aug 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by rosemore (Post 16988106)
I am trying to reach the 2mm miles before 12/1/11 with 160m to go.

It is my understanding that until 12/1/11, it will count toward this goal if you purchase miles?

What about "share" miles. Does that count also at this time and is it limited to 15m max.?

What about transfer or exchanges in points.com?

Thanks for the advice!

Yes, yes, and yes. For now, and through 11/30, anything at all that increases your mileage balance (except for award redeposits) will increase your lifetime counter.

As 11/30 approaches, you'll need to pay attention to how long things take to post, since it seems that it must post by 11/30, not that it must be earned by 11/30.

michaelbowser Aug 24, 2011 5:08 pm

Let Every AAdvantage Mile Count

American Airlines's announcement to quit counting every AAdvantage mile towards a flyer's lifetime status is an appalling decision. Every mile should count. Changing the rules for loyal customers in the middle of the game shows no respect for the loyalty received.

Show your support at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Let-Ev...866722?sk=wall

Ambraciot Aug 24, 2011 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by AAbruflyer (Post 16988018)
And now that non-us residents can't get the citibank card that is really annoying. It really doesn't put US based and non-US based flyers in the same basket.

Don't worry most US based customers can't or won't get that card, leaving us all in the same scow. As I previously posted, I now won't reach LT Plat until around 2027, and that assumes I maintain EXP for all 16 years.

The very meaning of lifetime status changes when it takes 20-40 years at an elite level to lock it in for the future. Loyalty programs are not pension plans and should be structured to motivate customers, not provide retirement benefits.

jss Aug 24, 2011 5:14 pm

This change was one of the worst kept secrets around--it has been telegraphed here for months. Thus I'm surprised by some of the comments here about going elsewhere etc...it was generally accepted that BIS was going to be the std. going forward.

True AA 1MM BIS only gives you Gold while UA 1MM BIS gives you the eqv. of PLT--but on AA JAL, CX, BA also count whereas UA has to UA metal. If LH counted on UA I would be much closer to 2MM there.

I just wanted to say thanks to all who posted here over the past year or so re this--I accelerated my AA flying in place of UA, used only my Citi AA card i/o Chase UA card, etc.. so I am closing in 2MM which quite luckily I should hit early November. I'm just glad that I had the opportunity to take (if you'll pardon the pun) advantage of all the extra ways to earn mileage while they were out there. This and other FT forums served their purpose in my case and I say thanks for that.

siankaan1 Aug 24, 2011 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Tango (Post 16988159)
You might be interested that one of the unpublished benefits for 10,000,000 mileage mebers is your choice of free hour with a shrink or a proctologisit.

Well, it's very unlikely I'll ever make 7, let alone 10. I think a gastroenterologist would be a good benefit, way too many pAstA dinners over Colorado.

QueenOfCoach Aug 24, 2011 5:29 pm

And a giant supply of Preparation H.

tom911 Aug 24, 2011 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by michaelbowser (Post 16988203)
American Airlines's announcement to quit counting every AAdvantage mile towards a flyer's lifetime status is an appalling decision. Every mile should count. Changing the rules for loyal customers in the middle of the game shows no respect for the loyalty received.

Welcome to FlyerTalk :)

AATrout Aug 24, 2011 5:34 pm

t possible. Everything else de tha

I think it's a good move - sort of. I reached LTG last month and the Citi VISA offer and 75k mies made that possible. Everything else was flying.

I would rather have had AA eliminate all the non-flying deals because I didn't really need Citi. In the last 6 weeks I've racked up another 80k as a PLT anyway.

Figure I will log nearly 500k actual BIS-only miles in the next six years or so which would have pushed me me to LTP with the existing plan.

But I never use miles anyway, so making LTP for the 100% bonus thereafter doesn't motivate me. And the incremental benefits are nice [primarily upgrade priority] but aren't that essential if you are an annual PLT anyway.

In short, I don't care about this change. Unless there was a way in the next year to move 600k in AMEX Rewards points to AAdvantage. That $6k in buying power is nice but I rarely use those points either so I could do that if making LTP quickly was a big deal. Not sure it is for me.

beerup Aug 24, 2011 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by JoeWoodstock (Post 16987603)
...I had just renewed my AC membership in June. Now, with the new MM plan, I'm wondering if I can upgrade my existing card to the new Citi Executive card, but have the new card cover my AC fee for next year. Seems a little far-fetched, but never hurts to ask, right?

Not so far fetched. You will get a pro-rata refund on your current year's AC membership (which of course you could put towards the following year if you subsequently cancel the card). See T&C under ADMIRALS CLUB® MEMBERSHIP PRIVILEGES.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/citiexe...rd&flash=false

If the primary Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® cardmember is already an Admirals Club® member and has sixty or more days remaining (from the date the Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® card account is approved by Citi) on such current Admirals Club membership, he or she is eligible to receive a pro-rata refund from American Airlines for any unused portion of his or her current Admirals Club® membership fee. The refund will be based on the number of days remaining on such primary cardmember's current Admirals Club® membership. Refunds will be automatically made in the original form of payment within 12 weeks of becoming a Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® cardmember. Lifetime Admirals Club® members and AAirpass® members with Admirals Club® privileges are not eligible for a refund.

siankaan1 Aug 24, 2011 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Full Score (Post 16987893)
Don't you just love the manner in which AA try to present one's "extraordinary commitment" as a reason to devalue the program. In any other sphere of life such misrepresentations would be deemed to be out and out lies.

As far as I can tell, almost every big American corporation does this. PR-speak is one of the things that annoys me most, and I wonder who's dumber: the corporations who think we're stupid, or the customers who are in fact stupid enough to buy it. My credit card companies, insurance companies, banks, brokers, rental car companies, almost every business I deal with other than local mom-and-pop businesses have professional liars doing all the customer communications.

End of rant.

tom911 Aug 24, 2011 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by oldpenny16 (Post 16987416)
I will cancel my AA credit cards when they no longer count. I'm close to 2 mill but may not make it.

So you'll no longer accrue AA miles to redeem on award tickets? Your only reason to have those credit cards was for lifetime status? I don't get it. If you fly AA, and use an AA credit card to build up miles, what's really changed today other than the goal being raised for lifetime status?

Why would you not continue to build up AA miles to redeem for future upgrades or award travel? Isn't that what those credit card miles are for? It's certainly how they're marketed (in terms of redeeming your spending for award flights).

kebosabi Aug 24, 2011 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 16988399)
what's really changed today other than the goal being raised for lifetime status?

Gets them faster to accrue lifetime worth of bennies when traveling on award tickets that includes OW partners :D

1MM = LT GLD = LT OW Ruby = lifetime of OW Ruby benefits across all OW carriers
2MM = LT PLT = LT OW Sapphire = all OW Ruby benefits + lifetime of lounge benefits across all OW carriers

So essentially, one who has reached LT PLT by obtaining 2MM on AA's lifetime counter would essentially have priority seating, baggage, boarding, standby and lounge benefits on BA, CX, AY, IB, JL, LA, MA, QF, RJ, S7, and upcoming members AB, IT, and MH.

Put it another way, if you reach 2MM on AA, you also get "VIP treatment" on 13 other OW partners. :D