FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1966301-archive-aadvantage-million-miler-program-dec-2011-master-thd.html)

AATrout Aug 24, 2011 7:06 pm

You'll Probably be OK

Originally Posted by badgerW (Post 16988732)
:( Sad face here. Sitting at 350k LT. Probably around of those were BIS over the past 15 years. This is my first year getting status (presently GLD, will hit PLAT by the end of the year) purely out-of-pocket leisure travel, no business travel. I am debating transferring my 60k Amex MR points to SPG and then to AA. Sure it's a lousy trade (60k MR -> 20k SPG -> 25k AA) but 25k extrAA miles in my account before 12/1 is probably at least a year quicker to getting LT GLD. Also debating buying the max, and trading with my wife (who sits at about the same LT level, between 350k and 400k). Also hoping that some of my Reliant Energy bonus miles post soon.

On the other hand, for a mere $450/yr I can get most of the benefits of GLD anyway; and if I do lose status (which is likely over the next couple of years) then I can always do a challenge to re-gain it. I wish I had been churning my Citi card instead of holding on to an AA MC for the past 5+ years. With a couple of churns during that period, I would easily be at 500k right now.

You might have a lot of flying time ahead, and qualifying GLD each year hasn't changed yet. I just plodded along casually for 10 years making status on AA and UA most years but not seamlessly and was good with that. The Lifetime status is nice for me because I may not travel much for biz in a few years. But most likely I would at least get to PLT or at worst GLD annually so you can probably do that too.

nkedel Aug 24, 2011 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by jss (Post 16988234)
This change was one of the worst kept secrets around--it has been telegraphed here for months.

Kinda. OTOH, the people doing the telegraphing include some who have been doing so for a couple of years now, and the latest round felt a bit like "crying wolf."

In any event, it's official now, pretty much as expected, could have been better (include elite and/or COS bonuses) but could also have been somewhat worse (no partners) or much worse (no grandfathering of accrued mileage.)

Originally Posted by AATrout (Post 16988370)
But I never use miles anyway,

I'll take some free tickets with those miles you're not using. :) :D

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 16988399)
So you'll no longer accrue AA miles to redeem on award tickets? Your only reason to have those credit cards was for lifetime status? I don't get it. If you fly AA, and use an AA credit card to build up miles, what's really changed today other than the goal being raised for lifetime status?

While I am not going to cancel my cards, I will definitely reassess the value of accruing miles for redemption vs. other rewards programs, vs. just using cash more often.

Unfortunately my annual spend isn't large enough to make the 10k EQM for $40k spend on the Executive card work for me.

Flyer737 Aug 24, 2011 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by enfuego (Post 16986942)
Does anyone recall offhand when Bank Direct miles post? I think it's the 4th or 5th of the month, so November balances will not be helping people here.

Correct. Only October average balances be posted in time (early November).

A related question... If you open a Bank Direct CD, I understand you get those miles up front. Does anybody know how fast they post? I am assuming an account would have to be opened in October for the miles to post in early November with the monthly Bank Direct postings. However, I would really like somebody to confirm this.

horseguy Aug 24, 2011 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 16988162)
Ophtamologist, not proctologist, needed for those who see that 10,000,000 miles comes with anything more than 4 SWUs and new card/luggage tag set with a letter.

I got more than that. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...estone-aa.html

I can see the neat 777 model from where I am sitting this very second.

horseguy Aug 24, 2011 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by sandiego-flyer (Post 16988460)
...Would have been better if they had a dual counter of EQM/EQP to give upside to the F,J flyers out there, but still a good sound business move.

Yep, that is the only point I think AA did not get right here. I would have counted either base miles, or points, whichever is greater for that flight, towards million miler status. Other than that, I think what AA is doing makes good business sense. Delta counts MQM and flights in paid First get 1.5 MQM per flown mile, so that would be similar to points.

I will very much miss watching the numbers on my luggage tags regularly advance.

amolkold Aug 24, 2011 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by autopilot (Post 16987085)
just checked...as of today i am at 1,942,497 LT miles...

.....looks like I need to spend some serious money on my AAdvantage cards :(

or you can fly 57,503 miles, which is very doable in a year, especially if you have grandfathered lifetime GLD status to begin with. :)

Just sent this news to a buddy who is at 975K miles (but doesn't follow news that closely). He was incredibly mad until I pointed out that he currently has GLD through 2012, will get ~4K from credit cards in the next 3 months, and only needs to fly 21K before March 2013 to lock in lifetime GLD before losing it.

I think AA's 3-month notice is great for those who are within 50K of a MM level and I wish other airlines (*cough* DL *cough*) would give advanced notice as well.

wth Aug 24, 2011 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103 (Post 16986896)
I have mixed emotions over this whole change. However, for myself, I reached the 1 million mark about a year or so ago, so it doesn't really affect me. The intent of the program was always to be a frequent flyer program, but I have a feeling that with credit card bonuses and other avenues to earn Miles, the program deviated from its original mission . I guess this means that folks currently approaching the 1 million mark had better get very creative between now and December 1

True, but consider how the airline profits from those credit card or partner miles. Those have to be purchased by those organizations which is revenue/profit and/or financing to the airline. Therefore why shouldn't they count toward LT status? In fact, they should probably count more because they are more profitable than most discount BIS miles. The problem is that Frequent Flyer programs were never made revenue (or ideally, profit) based like the hotels have done.

Truthfully, I thought AA had it right (except for the bonus and promotion miles). I'm sorry they are changing, but I will have to, as you say, get creative so I can hit my desired threshold in the appropriate manner/time frame and maximize the return.

wth Aug 24, 2011 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by AAExPlat (Post 16986899)
And for some general commentary...the Lifetime program on AA has been way too lax for years and has in my opinion rewarded the wrong kinds of folks. The churners, the serial abusers etc. Those of us who are going on 10 years EXP have really been disproportionately disadvantaged in some ways.

I appreciate the new move to reward those who truly support the backbone of AA's existence....flying on their aircraft. I reckon that of my 2.6MM miles that about 1-1.2MM are BIS.

Say what you want, but unlike other airlines, AA looks out for us top tier elites. Whether it's making lifetime status tougher or not handing out lifetime EXP, I appreciate that my business on a year to year basis is appreciated and its benefits protected by AA.

I can understand your POV, esp if you fly a lot of intercontinental which is more profitable to the airlines. But let's face it, for years, the profit for airlines has been in their frequent flyer programs and the miles they can sell. These "partner" miles represent far more profit (and, importantly, cheap financing) than BIS miles except for some intercontinental and high fare business travelers.

welookgood.com Aug 24, 2011 7:50 pm

So BankDirect won't count anymore?

87155 Aug 24, 2011 7:51 pm

could AA be a new partner for Membership Rewards? this would make sense since all miles currently count. I know they have all their own co-branded cards, but MR is getting thin on us partners.

kebosabi Aug 24, 2011 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by wth (Post 16989152)
Therefore why shouldn't they count toward LT status?

If said benefits were within AA then it wouldn't matter. Unfortunately, LT GLD = LT OW Ruby and LT PLT = LT OW Sapphire, which means benefits go beyond AA and actually start hurting the bottom line of other OW carriers.

In due time, it was only a matter of time until BA or JL might've said "we're sick and tired of accomodating AA LT PLTs into our Terraces and Sakura Lounge, change it."

startpacking Aug 24, 2011 7:56 pm

I'm going to chime in and plea that AA does something for their non US based AAdvantage members. I'm not US based and have never taken advantage of CC miles increasing my AA account balance. As AA is allowing CC purchases on the Citi Executive(SM) / AAdvantageŽ World Elite(TM) MasterCardŽ credit card to count towards lifetime status for US residents why not count elite bonus miles and class of service bonus miles for non US based AAdvantage members until December, 2012. Of course I understand AA is based in the US but I really feel short changed with so many offers I've never been able to take advantage of.

AA, please allow non US based AAdvantage members to count elite bonus miles and class of service bonus miles until December, 2012. The only way non US based AAdvantage members can earn these miles is to fly.

What do other non US based AAdvantage members think?

drron Aug 24, 2011 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 16988837)
Don't some Qantas awards, though, price at twice what an equivalent AA award would price at? I know one AA flyer in Australia that I've regularly seen at OzFest when I'm over (FT event for those that have never heard of it) and he sticks with AA because of better redemption values. He flies at the EXP level.

If anyone is thinking of making the move to Qantas, made sure you check redemption rates for awards.

Absolutely,which is why I would not switch back to QFF.I also find even as a humble OWS on AA that it is easier to get premium rewards-even on QF when mrsdrron who is OWE with QF cant.Mind you that experience is very unusual from all reports.

jss Aug 24, 2011 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel (Post 16988941)
Kinda. OTOH, the people doing the telegraphing include some who have been doing so for a couple of years now, and the latest round felt a bit like "crying wolf."

But just like the CIA reports--the chatter has been increasing over the summer

wth Aug 24, 2011 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi (Post 16989253)
If said benefits were within AA then it wouldn't matter. Unfortunately, LT GLD = LT OW Ruby and LT PLT = LT OW Sapphire, which means benefits go beyond AA and actually start hurting the bottom line of other OW carriers.

In due time, it was only a matter of time until BA or JL might've said "we're sick and tired of accomodating AA LT PLTs into our Terraces and Sakura Lounge, change it."

Point noted, but I would suspect the same arguments would hold for other airlines, although, granted, the partners may have higher percentage of profitable inter cont'l business than AA