FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1966301-archive-aadvantage-million-miler-program-dec-2011-master-thd.html)

shawbridge Sep 8, 2015 7:38 am

I'm sure this is covered but couldn't find it in here. Is there something that happens on hitting three million miles?

I've been Platinum for Life for a long time, but for a decade, I've been crediting my miles to BA and now have almost 26K tier points (36K needed for Lifetime Gold which is the equivalent of Executive Platinum. Since I fly BA a lot (once a month to London and then to other places), being Emerald on BA is probably better than being Emerald on AA. For example, this year, I will fly enought to be have Concorde Room privileges, though I'm not sure it is that much better than the FIRST lounge.

Anyway, here's my question. I have 2.7 MM AAdvantage miles. I could use some of my miles to hit 3 MM AAdvantage miles instead, but have not been sure there was a point. Is there? Or should I stick with aiming for Lifetime Gold on BA?

JDiver Sep 8, 2015 7:45 am

Originally Posted by shawbridge (Post 25392571)
I'm sure this is covered but couldn't find it in here. Is there something that happens on hitting three million miles?

I've been Platinum for Life for a long time, but for a decade, I've been crediting my miles to BA and now have almost 26K tier points (36K needed for Lifetime Gold which is the equivalent of Executive Platinum. Since I fly BA a lot (once a month to London and then to other places), being Emerald on BA is probably better than being Emerald on AA. For example, this year, I will fly enought to be have Concorde Room privileges, though I'm not sure it is that much better than the FIRST lounge.

Anyway, here's my question. I have 2.7 MM AAdvantage miles. I could use some of my miles to hit 3 MM AAdvantage miles instead, but have not been sure there was a point. Is there? Or should I stick with aiming for Lifetime Gold on BA?

As stated in the wiki, you earn 4 SWU at crossing each MM threshold after 2 MM.

Since BA offers lifetime Emerald, and AA doesn't, if I were planning to fly much I'd try for 36k TP.

JonNYC Sep 8, 2015 7:49 am

Originally Posted by shawbridge (Post 25392571)

Definitely keep climbing on BA, for sure.

shawbridge Sep 8, 2015 8:44 am

Thanks JonNYC and JDiver. Sorry I missed it. Britannia will continue to rule my skies.

I find the Avios harder to use for travel than AAdvantage miles, but I'm flying so much these days that I don't have time anyway. In past years, we've used them for family vacations, but now I have kids in grad school who are incredibly busy. But, I try to get my wife to join me on a few of my trips.

JDiver Sep 8, 2015 8:53 am

Originally Posted by shawbridge (Post 25392847)
Thanks JonNYC and JDiver. Sorry I missed it. Britannia will continue to rule my skies.

I find the Avios harder to use for travel than AAdvantage miles, but I'm flying so much these days that I don't have time anyway. In past years, we've used them for family vacations, but now I have kids in grad school who are incredibly busy. But, I try to get my wife to join me on a few of my trips.

Avios are a nice "currency" to use on AA flights whilst visiting the USA.

Enjoy lifetime BAEC Gold when you get it! Very nice perquisite to have.

shawbridge Sep 8, 2015 9:58 am

JDiver, I haven't had success using the Avios on US trips -- or rather my assistant hasn't. She's pretty bright but I wonder if there is a trick she is missing, as she hasn't found availability the couple of times I've asked.

I did take the family to Croatia and the Czech Republic last summer on Avios (but then you get the ridiculous British taxes). Happy to use them in the US.

JDiver Sep 8, 2015 10:43 am

Originally Posted by shawbridge (Post 25393206)
JDiver, I haven't had success using the Avios on US trips -- or rather my assistant hasn't. She's pretty bright but I wonder if there is a trick she is missing, as she hasn't found availability the couple of times I've asked.

I did take the family to Croatia and the Czech Republic last summer on Avios (but then you get the ridiculous British taxes). Happy to use them in the US.

We've had a number of members who have used Avios successfully on AA. Iirc, one way to do this is to search using aa.com for MileSAAver availability, then call BA to book.

Good luck.

shawbridge Sep 8, 2015 11:12 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 25393445)
We've had a number of members who have used Avios successfully on AA. Iirc, one way to do this is to search using aa.com for MileSAAver availability, then call BA to book.

Good luck.

Thanks. Will do.

imapilotaz Sep 8, 2015 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by ps9a (Post 25370725)
I'd argue that the entire UA MM program beats AAdvantage (and maybe that's what you were implying), but AA is stuck with a bunch of MM flyers that accrued their status through CC spend, AAdvantage shopping, and BankDirect, so I don't expect that to change AAnytime soon.

So very true. I started flying AA a little over 4 1/2 years ago. Ive been EXP for 4 years. I have ~660k million miler miles. I have 1.6M program to date miles. When I started flying AA 4 1/2 years ago, I had 35k program to date miles.

It is easy to accrue massive amounts of miles on AA that when someone says they are a 2M+ traveler on AA I dont think anything of it. I'll cross 2M AA miles by the end of 2016 and still be 2+ years away from 1M million miler miles.

I expect I'll be very close to 3M program to date miles on AA before I cross 1M in million miler miles.

palermo Oct 5, 2015 2:55 pm

prequalified as EXP and got to MM with the same flight - 2 weeks ago. Got the SWUs for the EXP and the 35k miles for MM but no email from AA.

JDiver Oct 5, 2015 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by palermo (Post 25522000)
prequalified as EXP and got to MM with the same flight - 2 weeks ago. Got the SWUs for the EXP and the 35k miles for MM but no email from AA.

With two weeks until the Passenger Service and Computer Reservations Systems merger, there might be some slowdown issues right now.

Does your account reflect your Million Miler 1M status? That's perhaps the most important indicator. The 35,000 RDM you earn from qualifying 1 MM? And, congratulations!

(You mean "requalified" for EP, yes? My autocorrect doesn't like that word either.)

palermo Oct 6, 2015 11:57 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 25522124)
With two weeks until the Passenger Service and Computer Reservations Systems merger, there might be some slowdown issues right now.

Does your account reflect your Million Miler 1M status? That's perhaps the most important indicator. The 35,000 RDM you earn from qualifying 1 MM? And, congratulations!

(You mean "requalified" for EP, yes? My autocorrect doesn't like that word either.)

Thanks JDiver- yes, requalified. It is the autocorrect on the mac.

Everything is updated in the website and I did get the 35k milles as soon as the miles posted (which was 2 days after the flight on ba). It is just the lack of a congratulations email which I found strange.

rasheed Oct 6, 2015 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by palermo (Post 25526225)
Thanks JDiver- yes, requalified. It is the autocorrect on the mac.

Everything is updated in the website and I did get the 35k milles as soon as the miles posted (which was 2 days after the flight on ba). It is just the lack of a congratulations email which I found strange.

I also haven't seen an EXP renewal email, but the SWU posted. I would just wait for the postal letter or card.

Rasheed

Pueo1 Mar 5, 2016 8:13 pm

Just made 2MM and received my 4 SWUs and confirmed Plat LT status the next day - thanks to all of the Flyertalk posters for helping me reach this milestone! Took me about 7 years to get to 1MM and another 7 years to get to 2MM. Targeting to get to 3MM by 2023. :)

SpeedRicer Mar 17, 2016 7:17 am

Still a bit confused as to how the new EQM system will work with the MM program -- since premium fares can now earn 2.0-3.0x EQMs, do you also get that multiplier towards Million Miler status now? Or is it just the actual flown miles?

Thought it would be flown miles, but I see a lot of references to base miles being the same as EQMs....

Thanks!