FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1960706-archive-737-max-7m8-grounded-until-tba-what-do-if-scheduled-fly-one.html)

Shadowfactor Mar 20, 2019 4:02 pm

I work in barbados so I’m constantly flying back and forth. All those flights are 7M8 unfortunately.

Supposed to fly CMH-MIA-BGI with the MIA-BGI on the 7M8.
Rerouted to CLT and then to BGI on A319

Works for me. Columbus to Miami was on a regional jet with no business class. So I got an upgrade for one of the flights barely any schedule change.

Will see what happens in mid April when I fly back to the US and back to barbados.

girlsmom4 Mar 22, 2019 8:16 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 30910122)

If you wait for the last minute and simple active reactively instead of proactively, you wind up with fewer and fewer options. The MAX was grounded on the 13th with a memo out that evening. If I had a transcon flight that night relatively close in, I would have been on the phone that evening.

I did exactly that for a flight on 4/18 on a MAX. But because it's after 4/4, they said there's nothing they can do. So one can only be proactive to a point. I am following closely but right now they are still showing the flight without any aircraft type.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Mar 23, 2019 9:40 am

My MIA/BOS flight for Friday PM 3/29 doesn’t show a/c type but still shows the Max seat chart. It’s the last flight out that night. I guess I’ll need to constantly check the seat assignment as AA is very good at taking you out of your window or aisle MCE seat and shoving you into a non MCE middle seat when there’s an a/c change.

JDiver Mar 24, 2019 10:45 am

Originally Posted by girlsmom4 (Post 30916743)
I did exactly that for a flight on 4/18 on a MAX. But because it's after 4/4, they said there's nothing they can do. So one can only be proactive to a point. I am following closely but right now they are still showing the flight without any aircraft type.

@girlsmom AA extended the MAX groundings through 24 April today.

American continues to await information from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Department of Transportation (DOT), National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), other regulatory authorities and Boeing that would permit the 24 Boeing 737 MAX aircraft in our fleet to resume flying.

In an effort to provide more certainty and avoid last minute flight disruptions, American has extended cancellations through April 24. This will result in the cancellation of approximately 90 flights each day based on our April schedule. By proactively canceling these flights, we are able to provide better service to our customers with availability and rebooking options. - aa.com link to PDF

cedric Mar 24, 2019 11:41 am

From the page on AA.com linked to above:

Not all flights that were previously scheduled on a MAX will be canceled, as we plan to substitute other aircraft types. In total, approximately 90 flights will be canceled per day.
Also from that page:

On average, American operates 85 flights per day on the MAX 8, out of 6,700 departures throughout the American Airlines system. Our operations center is working to re-route aircraft throughout the system to cover as much of our schedule as we can.

So they're cancelling 5 more flights per day than they operate on the MAX, yet have substituted other aircraft types on some of the flights?

#AA #GoodAtMath

girlsmom4 Mar 24, 2019 12:48 pm

So if my reservation is saying a new aircraft now (737-800) I can assume my flight isn't (and won't be) cancelled and they just swapped out the aircraft?

chipmaster Mar 24, 2019 1:43 pm

So AA starting to feel the impact?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/24/busin...ing/index.html

JDiver Mar 24, 2019 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by chipmaster (Post 30924478)

Undoubtedly, but that’s what they said previously - though iirc initially it was 85 flights a day.

MSPeconomist Mar 26, 2019 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by jraimond48 (Post 30910052)
Do people think AA would book me on another airline? They cancelled my flight to Portland and rebooked me a full day later and through Phoenix. My friends are flying Southwest. If it worth trying to ask them to book me on another airline so I can get there the same day I was originally booked or is this a waste of time?

Even if they're willing to rebook you onto another carrier, they *cannot* rebook you onto any airline with which they do not interline. That includes Southwest, who doesn't interline at all, with any carrier, as well as most other LCCs and certain smaller airlines.

MSPeconomist Mar 26, 2019 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by cedric (Post 30924106)
From the page on AA.com linked to above:

Also from that page:

So they're cancelling 5 more flights per day than they operate on the MAX, yet have substituted other aircraft types on some of the flights?

#AA #GoodAtMath[/color]

AA could be cancelling shorter flights in order to have aircraft for longer flights. The real constraint is in terms of hours, including turnarounds, not number of flights.

iadisgreat Apr 3, 2019 6:09 pm

I noticed the 7M8 in the schedule starting in early May for some work flights I might be booking...should I bother or just hold off for now until they update them to different equipment?

cmd320 Apr 3, 2019 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by iadisgreat (Post 30962280)
I noticed the 7M8 in the schedule starting in early May for some work flights I might be booking...should I bother or just hold off for now until they update them to different equipment?

Hold off. Pretty sure the last timeline I saw for 737MAXs flying again was June/July.

JDiver Apr 7, 2019 8:23 am

AA today announced a new date, June 5 2019, as the earliest date for the 737 MAX 8 to be back in the schedule. Emails should be out today.

tbrein Apr 7, 2019 8:41 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30974413)
AA today announced a new date, June 5 2019, as the earliest date for the 737 MAX 8 to be back in the schedule. Emails should be out today.

Received an EF alert for our flights to and from BGI and MIA this morning. Now showing 738 and a schedule change. However, no email from AA.
Just happy we don’t have to fly on that bird.

rvolkcpa Apr 7, 2019 9:58 am

We were MAXed

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30974413)

We were booked on flights CDG-JFK-SEA in early June. I noticed a schedule change today resulting in a 40 minute connection upon arrival at JFK and then travel via DFW. Our JFK-SEA flight was not a MAX, but I'm sure AA needs the plane for a more profitable route.
We were able to get re-routed CDG-LHR-SEA on BA.