FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1960706-archive-737-max-7m8-grounded-until-tba-what-do-if-scheduled-fly-one.html)

AlwaysAisle Mar 13, 2019 12:48 pm

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 30882795)

Great, I have 7M8 flight this weekend. Now wait and see what happens to me flight. :rolleyes:

tom911 Mar 13, 2019 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle (Post 30882865)
Great, I have 7M8 flight this weekend. Now wait and see what happens to me flight. :rolleyes:

Don't wait. Call now and try to get rerouted while there might be better availability.

AlwaysAisle Mar 13, 2019 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 30882924)
Don't wait. Call now and try to get rerouted while there might be better availability.

According to an AAgent, AA has not issued anything in regard to grounding of 7M8 yet. At this moment if I want to change my reservation it is subject to the penalty and fare difference, according to an AAgent. My flight is still showing as on time. Looks like wait and see at this moment till AA come up with plan for 7M8.

econometrics Mar 13, 2019 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle (Post 30883038)
My flight is still showing as on time. Looks like wait and see at this moment till AA come up with plan for 7M8.

I wouldn't trust AA's system for showing any kind of realistic departure delays or cancellations.

Besides that, cancellations really are happening. So I would wait a few more min, then call back.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Mar 13, 2019 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 30883057)
Looking at schedule availability out of MIA now, things look like a real mess. Should get interesting. This is the kind of thing that years of fleet rationalization and squeezing every seat cannot predict. There's now no slack in the system.

Unfortunately MIA is home for these birds and AA probably hadn't gotten around to contingent planning. The other hassle for MIA is that traditionally the MD80 doesn't fly there although I suppose it could for domestic turns. The next couple of days will be a PITA until AA puts in contingent planning. For the poster worrying about the weekend member at least on the weekend there's more slack in the system.

beachfan Mar 13, 2019 1:34 pm

Don’t wait, HUCA and/or escalate.

middle seats await the slow, )and maybe the quick too)

JDiver Mar 13, 2019 1:46 pm

You will have to look at your PNR and email to see if AA automatically rescheduled you. (As the grounding order is very fresh, it will take Dispatchers a bit of time to accomplish this.)

AA hasn’t posted any travel alerts or policy as yet. Link.

If the reschedule is not to your liking, they may refund or reaccommodate you. It’s best if you’re aware of available alternative flights when you call.

If you’re scheduled to fly imminently, contact AA.

JDiver Mar 13, 2019 1:53 pm

There is no travel alert or policy published on the appropriate page on aa.com, and I suspect it will take time to reschedule people, substitute aircraft and identify available crew.

Telephone agents have the may have any new policy, and JonNYC has it below. if you’re flying imminently, call. If not, I’d recommend waiting a bit. Check your email and PNR for reaccommodation, and on the App for alternatives. (But be proactive.)

yabadoo Mar 13, 2019 3:43 pm

Am in the same situation, flight departs tomorrow and so far no update. Am in the Admirals Club currently and desk agents say unless the flight is cancelled in the system there is nothing they can do. What will probably happen is the flight will either be replaced by another 737 aircraft, or a A320, and if not then it will be cancelled and we will be rebooked through some other connection and flight.
Will keep monitoring and call AA to see what happens.

dickinson Mar 13, 2019 5:10 pm

EXP agent got bulletin when I spoke with him. Flights through April 4th on the 737 max can be rescheduled without penalty.

deeruck Mar 13, 2019 5:41 pm

New post on the front page of aa.com. Not a lot of info on actual dates that pax can reschedule flights.

JDiver Mar 13, 2019 5:43 pm

As it states I the Wikipost at the top of the page:

This thread is STRICTLY dedicated to discussing alternative arrangements and policy resulting from the FAA emergency order grounding all USA carriers’ Boeing 737 MAX 8 (and MAX 9) aircraft. This has grounded all 24 7M8 / 737 MAX 8 aircraft American Airlines has in service.

To discuss the 737 MAX 8s withdrawal from service and related issues apart from reaccommodation related issues, please post in Recent 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccomodation).

Some posts not adhering to the narrow purpose of this post have moved to the thread linked to above.

Thank you for keeping this IROPS/OSO thread immediately useful to members previously scheduled to fly on one or more of the 85 daily flights AA flights operated with Boeing 737 MAX 8s prior to today’s grounding order.

Lux Flyer Mar 13, 2019 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30883239)
There is no travel alert or policy published on the appropriate page on aa.com, and I suspect it will take time to reschedule people, substitute aircraft and identify available crew.

Telephone agents may have ad how policy, so if you’re flying imminently, call. If not, I’d recommend waiting a bit. Check your email and PNR for reaccommodation, and on the App for alternatives.

Worst part is these likely all have to be manually done by an agent, and can't be initiated by passengers, like with a weather waiver because I'm sure the weather waiver system wasn't designed to allow changes based on Plane Type...And they can't straight out cancel all those flights to make the system automatically take over, because they don't know it that flight will actually be canceled since there is a high likelihood for an equipment swap.

girlsmom4 Mar 13, 2019 6:50 pm

I was told by an AA agent that flights up until April 3rd can be rebooked.

JonNYC Mar 13, 2019 7:10 pm

policy:

uxb Mar 13, 2019 7:19 pm

Is there a way to tell if I am flying an 7M8 vs a 737? I saw that my routing's flights are cancelled from the 15th on FlightAware.

tbrein Mar 13, 2019 8:21 pm

What happens after April 4?

AlwaysAisle Mar 13, 2019 8:27 pm

My reservation still says 7M8 but the agent looked for incoming flight details and looks like my flight will be operated by 738. I decided to keep my reservation as is at this moment, not changing my flight.

iadisgreat Mar 13, 2019 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle (Post 30884828)
My reservation still says 7M8 but the agent looked for incoming flight details and looks like my flight will be operated by 738. I decided to keep my reservation as is at this moment, not changing my flight.

If the plane is grounded, then obviously you won't be flying it...

Lux Flyer Mar 13, 2019 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by tbrein (Post 30884810)

They will probably have adjusted the schedule/equipment swapped everything, allowing people to make changes based on if the schedule changed. Or they will extend it if the plane continues to be grounded and they haven't been able to update the schedule.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Mar 14, 2019 5:05 am

More moving around paxs and a/c if the 7M8 is still grounded. I'm assuming the 4/3 date (2 weeks from grounding) is an arbitrary date in which AA believes the 7M8 will be back flying. I'm sure at least Boeing hopes so.

IADCAflyer Mar 14, 2019 8:24 am

I think the 4/3 date was the original date where FAA had insisted that Boeing get its MCAS fix in place.

As it is, this is a mess. I've spent now 30 minutes on hold with AA trying to get a 738Max flight rebooked as one desk at AA says I'm on a 738M and the other desk thinks I'm on a regular 738. If they can't figure it out, we have REAL problems.

jenf22 Mar 14, 2019 8:27 am

We were scheduled DEN to MIA on 3/15. We were then connecting to a flight to Barcelona. I watched all day yesterday for changes. I even called American and was told they couldn't do anything until it was cancelled. They finally cancelled it around 5:30pm. Spent 3 hours on the phone with Expedia and AA (my husband and I were both on the phone). Best they could do was change our outbound flights to leave on Sunday 3/17 and get to BCN on 3/18. Our cruise leaves BCN on the 17th, so that wouldn't work. While we were on hold we tried to get a flight to MCO on 3/14 on Southwest but it went unavailable while I was putting in the credit card info. So I was able to get us out of DEN tonight at 8:30pm on United to FSD, where we spend 6 hours, then fly to ATL, have a 1.5 hr connection, and then fly to MIA where we arrive about 4.5 hours before the BCN flight. This wonderful option cost us $3000 (there are 3 of us). Right now I'm still non-stop praying that everything goes off without a hitch and we make it to BCN. (We were able to get AA to remove the DEN-MIA leg and keep the remaining flights so we're not a no-show to BCN). I'm thrilled we were able to find something, but I"m wondering if there is any kind of action I can take regarding the $3K out of pocket? I mostly just follow flyertalk and don't post often, but I thought you all might know of something. Oh and to make matters more interesting, we used Expedia to book and these flights are all actually British Airways.

Our flight home on the 28th still shows the 7M8. If AA would have done this days ago, I imagine this wouldn't have been the nightmare it is. Still feel like I"m gonna throw up...

IADCAflyer Mar 14, 2019 8:39 am

So I imagine part of this was weather related to the weather bomb that took place. My suggestion is that if you can get out of DEN or SLC or COS, get to any city thats close to MIA and then drive to MIA - FLL, PBI, even TPA.

SLC - FLL is $340 each for three people on Delta tomorrow.

If you have trip delay protection on your credit card, get that credit card agreement out and read the rules -closely- and keep all your receipts.

Austin787 Mar 14, 2019 8:40 am

Originally Posted by uxb (Post 30884637)
Is there a way to tell if I am flying an 7M8 vs a 737? I saw that my routing's flights are cancelled from the 15th on FlightAware.

Look in flight details. 7M8 = 737 MAX 8. 738 = 737-800.

Even if your flight is scheduled on a 738, the aircraft could be reassigned to cover a 7M8 flight which could result in 738 flights to be delayed or cancelled.

jenf22 Mar 14, 2019 8:43 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 30886415)
So I imagine part of this was weather related to the weather bomb that took place. My suggestion is that if you can get out of DEN, get to any city thats close to MIA and then drive to MIA - FLL, PBI, even TPA.

I had my hand on one to Orlando, but it sold out before I could get my CC info in. There is literally nothing, except the convoluted mess we've got now. I'm just happy there we'll get there if those 3 flights are all ok.

HiAperture Mar 14, 2019 8:43 am

Originally Posted by jenf22 (Post 30886369)
We were scheduled DEN to MIA on 3/15. We were then connecting to a flight to Barcelona. I watched all day yesterday for changes. I even called American and was told they couldn't do anything until it was cancelled. They finally cancelled it around 5:30pm. Spent 3 hours on the phone with Expedia and AA (my husband and I were both on the phone). Best they could do was change our outbound flights to leave on Sunday 3/17 and get to BCN on 3/18. Our cruise leaves BCN on the 17th, so that wouldn't work. While we were on hold we tried to get a flight to MCO on 3/14 on Southwest but it went unavailable while I was putting in the credit card info. So I was able to get us out of DEN tonight at 8:30pm on United to FSD, where we spend 6 hours, then fly to ATL, have a 1.5 hr connection, and then fly to MIA where we arrive about 4.5 hours before the BCN flight. This wonderful option cost us $3000 (there are 3 of us). Right now I'm still non-stop praying that everything goes off without a hitch and we make it to BCN. (We were able to get AA to remove the DEN-MIA leg and keep the remaining flights so we're not a no-show to BCN). I'm thrilled we were able to find something, but I"m wondering if there is any kind of action I can take regarding the $3K out of pocket? I mostly just follow flyertalk and don't post often, but I thought you all might know of something. Oh and to make matters more interesting, we used Expedia to book and these flights are all actually British Airways.

Our flight home on the 28th still shows the 7M8. If AA would have done this days ago, I imagine this wouldn't have been the nightmare it is. Still feel like I"m gonna throw up...

For right now I wouldn't let it ruin your vacation and be glad you were quick on your feet. Do you have trip insurance of any sort with an interruption policy? If so I would document everything and make a claim with them upon return. Even if you don't get Expedia/AA/BA to do anything for you you can get the out of pocket costs paid that way. Again, whether it be for insurance, the airline, ect. document, document, document.

FWIW my parents had a similar problem with UA last year with a delayed domestic connection causing them to totally miss a once daily EWR-KEF flight, and there was no space to rebook them in J for several days. UA refused to rebook them on Air Canada even though they are star alliance, so they bought the last minute (or last second really) tickets themselves. They tried to fight it out with UA but never got a dime for the costs of the flights they had to buy, but travel insurance covered it.

Also not sure if EU delay/cancellation regulations would apply at all since the flight affected was entirely within the US and you ultimately are making it aboard your flight to the EU.

AlwaysAisle Mar 14, 2019 8:44 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 30886353)
I think the 4/3 date was the original date where FAA had insisted that Boeing get its MCAS fix in place.

As it is, this is a mess. I've spent now 30 minutes on hold with AA trying to get a 738Max flight rebooked as one desk at AA says I'm on a 738M and the other desk thinks I'm on a regular 738. If they can't figure it out, we have REAL problems.

My flight is tomorrow and the reservation still shows aircraft as 7M8. But when an AAgent looked up incoming flight information and seat maps then it became obvious that my flight will be operated by 738. Originally I had seat 10C on 7M8, MCE seat, but now the seat map shows I was still in seat 10C but not MCE. Good thing an aisle MCE was still available and I changed my seat.

JDiver Mar 14, 2019 9:34 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle (Post 30886443)
My flight is tomorrow and the reservation still shows aircraft as 7M8. But when an AAgent looked up incoming flight information and seat maps then it became obvious that my flight will be operated by 738. Originally I had seat 10C on 7M8, MCE seat, but now the seat map shows I was still in seat 10C but not MCE. Good thing an aisle MCE was still available and I changed my seat.

Goodonya. Being proactive is crucial when AA changes equipment, because they don’t have the ability - for whatever reason - to preserve seat preference or type (MCE, etc.)

IADCAflyer Mar 14, 2019 9:38 am

OK, flights for 4/1 have been changed. Now on E-175 equipment from LGA to MIA (thats a long E-175 flight!). Flight departs one hour later than previously scheduled on a Max 8.

redct Mar 14, 2019 10:12 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 30886684)
OK, flights for 4/1 have been changed. Now on E-175 equipment from LGA to MIA (thats a long E-175 flight!). Flight departs one hour later than previously scheduled on a Max 8.

It's a long E175 flight, but almost certainly more comfortable than the 7M8!

IADCAflyer Mar 14, 2019 10:23 am

Originally Posted by redct (Post 30886836)

I was actually "looking forward" to the 738M flight to say I've done it and to be able to authoritatively ..... about the lack of legroom and toilet room.

JDiver Mar 14, 2019 10:45 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 30886884)
I was actually "looking forward" to the 738M flight to say I've done it and to be able to authoritatively ..... about the lack of legroom and toilet room.

Don’t worry, Project Oasis will assure your dream comes true soon enough.

JDiver Mar 14, 2019 10:52 am

Boeing is developing new programming for the MCAS that is implicated in the crashes. If it is approved by the FAA, and installed, April 4 might be the date the MAX is recertifications to fly. Or, the date will be changed.

Personally, at this time the April 4 date reeks of optimism. If I had a MAX operated flight in early April in particular, I’d be proactive and keep an eye out for changes that might a,low me to change without fee, and on AA policy.

On Mar 12th 2019 Boeing issued following release with respect to MCAS, Lion Air Flight 610 and Ethiopian flight 302:

For the past several months and in the aftermath of Lion Air Flight 610, Boeing has been developing a flight control software enhancement for the 737 MAX, designed to make an already safe aircraft even safer. This includes updates to the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) flight control law, pilot displays, operation manuals and crew training. The enhanced flight control law incorporates angle of attack (AOA) inputs, limits stabilizer trim commands in response to an erroneous angle of attack reading, and provides a limit to the stabilizer command in order to retain elevator authority.

The FAA says it anticipates mandating this software enhancement with an Airworthiness Directive (AD) no later than April. We have worked with the FAA in development of this software enhancement. - Aviation Herald

IADCAflyer Mar 14, 2019 10:53 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30886984)
Don’t worry, Project Oasis will assure your dream comes true soon enough.

Not sure if dream is the right word...... Confronting my destiny more would be more like it. Like Harry Potter viewing his fate.

MGW2000 Mar 14, 2019 10:54 am

Trying to book BOS-MIA on 3/28 and all the Max flights (first three or four of the day) are zeroed out....

Will be interesting to see what happens.

cmd320 Mar 14, 2019 11:35 am

Originally Posted by redct (Post 30886836)

That's actually quite an upgrade. In any cabin.

MSPeconomist Mar 14, 2019 11:49 am

Originally Posted by iadisgreat (Post 30884885)
If the plane is grounded, then obviously you won't be flying it...

NO, AA could swap aircraft around. It's not at all clear that the flights that were ascheduled on MAX 8s are the flights that will be cancelled. Moreover, in the end I would expect to see a fewer total number of cancelled flights than the total number that were scheduled on MAX 8s. AA will rearrange aircraft schedules and use their equipment more intensely. They'll prioritize flights/routes to keep and which ones can be cancelled with minimal impact on profits.

Cledaybuck Mar 14, 2019 3:21 pm

Any advice on which seats to select if I have a max 8 flight that is likely to become a 738 flight if the max is still grounded?
Edit: y or y+

econometrics Mar 14, 2019 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck (Post 30887994)
Any advice on which seats to select if I have a max 8 flight that is likely to become a 738 flight if the max is still grounded?
Edit: y or y+

Looks like the MAX will be grounded "until May at least"... https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47567039

Rows 7, 8 and 9 on the 737-800 are MCE. (Rows 8-10 are MCE on the Oasis 737's). I prefer row 8, as I don't have to feel guilty reclining into a non-MCE person behind me if I choose to recline.

I'm not an exit row fan, as I don't like being another 4-6 rows further back in the plane when landing and wanting to get off the plane ASAP.

YMMV.