FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1960706-archive-737-max-7m8-grounded-until-tba-what-do-if-scheduled-fly-one.html)

flyer4512 Jun 6, 2019 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Djokison (Post 31176405)

Good catch. None of the CLT-MSP flights are scheduled on the MAX.

Thank You, great news

ryan182 Jun 6, 2019 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco (Post 31175996)

There is actually no certainty that the Max planes will be flying by December. There is still a long road ahead. Better to sort things out now and move to another carrier while seats are still available or pick another destination.

Absolute nonsense, there is a 0% chance that by Dec this won't be settled. The fixes are already completed and being evaluated, to think that by Dec the grounding of this plane won't be lifted is completely divorced from reality.

jcatman Jun 10, 2019 8:43 pm

Mid-August flights MIA-SJU-MIA just changed from 737 Max 8 to 757 with lie-flat seats.

Mid-September flight, AA2289, MIA-LAX departing at 7:37pm, just changed from A321 to 737 Max 8. Farewell on-demand video. :td:

uxb Jun 12, 2019 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman (Post 31190445)
Mid-August flights MIA-SJU-MIA just changed from 737 Max 8 to 757 with lie-flat seats.

Mid-September flight, AA2289, MIA-LAX departing at 7:37pm, just changed from A321 to 737 Max 8. Farewell on-demand video. :td:

Miami is not a real TCON hub anyway... :D

ISTFlyer Jun 12, 2019 6:58 pm

Late August, MIA-DCA

During booking, PMUS A321
Early May 2019, 737-MAX-8 and schedule change ( 30 mins later than the original time when I booked the flight )
Now it's a PMUS A320 ( 2 mins later than the modified time )

jcatman Jun 12, 2019 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by uxb (Post 31197069)
Miami is not a real TCON hub anyway... :D

TCON.....ICON.....EXCON. Name it what you like, and then go to the podium a la Doug Parker and proclaim to the world that "there's no doubt our customers have noticed the improvement that's been made to the inflight product".

Moving from an A321 with on-demand video and comfortable legroom in the premium cabin to a MAX8 with significantly reduced pitch and no on-demand video at each F seat for what can often be a six-hour flight from MIA to LAX is a significantly negative and unappealing change. YMMV.

mtrhowe85 Jun 29, 2019 10:55 am

Flying AA to Hawaii - Max 8?

Hi! I am planning to book LAS-LIH (stop in either LAX or PHX) for probably May 2020 with AA. They have good rates on the Economy Web Specials, but these rates are nonrefundable and you can't change your itinerary. Since May is so far away....I was hoping someone could help me with something I was thinking of. Once the Max 8 is back flying, is there any chance they would use it for this route? Right now all the legs have a A319 as the plane. Is that something that is interchangeable with the Max 8? I wasn't sure if those planes are even swap-able or too different in size. It's hard to say how I will feel about flying Max8 that far in the future, but obviously right now it's not sounding too great. I just don't want to book this for 11 months out and then have it change over from 319 to a Max 8 and have my itinerary not be changeable. Thanks!

TWA884 Jun 29, 2019 6:40 pm

Currently, American's flights to Hawaii utilize the Airbus A321 from LAX and the Boeing 757-200 from PHX.

By May of next year, the B752 will be phased out and replaced by the A321neo on the PHX - Hawaii flights.

It is extremely unlikely that the 737M8 will fly those routes, as planes used for the mainland to the Hawaiian Islands flights must be ETOPS certified and, to the best of my knowledge American, has no ETOPS certified 737M8's.

GlobalMatt Jun 29, 2019 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by mtrhowe85 (Post 31252269)
Once the Max 8 is back flying, is there any chance they would use it for this route? Right now all the legs have a A319 as the plane. Is that something that is interchangeable with the Max 8?

Welcome to FlyerTalk! It's hard to see out that far, however, a good tool to use as the time gets closer is the AA Cargo website that shows you all the domestic and international flights and the aircraft type. Link here: https://www.aacargo.com/ship/schedules.html

You will want to select "Cargo Schedules" as your option and it should show you 3-6 months out from departure. Unfortunately at this time it is too far out to know for sure, but I have not heard of any plans to use the Max 8 on flights to Hawaii for AA. Might be a different story for WN. My understanding is that the majority of AA Max8 aircraft are reserved for Caribbean flights and South America flights.

Another great resource is to stay tuned to the FT thread on the AA Max 8. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...dation-16.html

That said I agree with TWA884 that it is highly unlikely you'll find yourself on a Max 8 to Hawaii from LAS.

formeraa Jul 2, 2019 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by meunger11 (Post 31253369)
Welcome to FlyerTalk! It's hard to see out that far, however, a good tool to use as the time gets closer is the AA Cargo website that shows you all the domestic and international flights and the aircraft type. Link here: https://www.aacargo.com/ship/schedules.html

You will want to select "Cargo Schedules" as your option and it should show you 3-6 months out from departure. Unfortunately at this time it is too far out to know for sure, but I have not heard of any plans to use the Max 8 on flights to Hawaii for AA. Might be a different story for WN. My understanding is that the majority of AA Max8 aircraft are reserved for Caribbean flights and South America flights.

Another great resource is to stay tuned to the FT thread on the AA Max 8. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...dation-16.html

That said I agree with TWA884 that it is highly unlikely you'll find yourself on a Max 8 to Hawaii from LAS.

The latest is that AA will use the A321neo aircraft on Hawaii flights, starting in October (first replacing the older LUS 757s)

JDiver Jul 2, 2019 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa (Post 31262556)
The latest is that AA will use the A321neo aircraft on Hawaii flights, starting in October (first replacing the older LUS 757s)

That has been the plan all along, though the MAX grounding disruptions could see schedule changes, I suspect.

AA has announced the purchase if A321XLR as well; those will be used for transatlantic flights and IMO might be used on thinner routes like DFW-OGG. AA has not had a 737-800 ETOPS subfleet, and I don’t believe there has been any intention of an ETOPS MAX, though as Alaska and others have demonstrated the feasibility of ETOPS 737. (Aloha even operated a few ETOPS 737-200; I flew on a couple of those.)

donotblink Jul 8, 2019 8:44 am

737-Max-8's are still on the schedule again starting September 4th, right? Shouldn't they get put off the schedule until at least October soon so crews can bid on the correct schedule?

Mr. Vker Jul 9, 2019 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 31281409)
737-Max-8's are still on the schedule again starting September 4th, right? Shouldn't they get put off the schedule until at least October soon so crews can bid on the correct schedule?

Yes, I have an award ticket on hold that includes DCA-MIA on a 7M8 on October 3. WTH??? It connects to a flight to Aruba the next day. Doesn't make me warm and fuzzy.

jcatman Jul 9, 2019 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 31281409)

For upcoming trips I have on AA which included flights on the MAX8, American changes the equipment to an alternate aircraft when the flight is about 60 days in the future.......at least that is what I have experienced on two separate occasions.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Jul 9, 2019 1:58 pm

By all accounts it's doubtful that AA would have the Max back online by September 4. Like rolling delays even if AA know it can't make a deadline it waits until providing a new deadline presumably until they might have a better idea of how much longer the Max might be grounded. If you have a Max flight in early September it's doubtful you're see that a/c.