FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1960706-archive-737-max-7m8-grounded-until-tba-what-do-if-scheduled-fly-one.html)

JDiver Sep 1, 2019 10:00 pm

Current dates airlines are speculating their 737 MAX aircraft will be recertifications and flyable:

AA November 2 December 3
UA November 3 December 19
WN January 5, 2020

ryan182 Sep 2, 2019 1:24 am

Originally Posted by ryan182 (Post 31174990)
Its a near certainty that the MAX issues will be sorted well before December so I wouldn't worry about a cancellation due to lack of aircraft. As to canceling without the fee, again being as the flight is in Dec ordinarily I'd guess they wouldn't waive the fee but given the publicity around this they might; if you're that concerned its worth asking.

So yeah...guess I need to have a large plate of medium rare crow on this one as I was clearly way wrong in my earlier assertion. I'm trying a diet now so will take veggies with that as a side rather than a potatoes.

Delta 764 Sep 7, 2019 4:15 pm

AA MIA-SJU flight changed to 737-8 MAX - concerns

I booked two one-way tickets (PHX-MIA-SJU and SJU-DFW-PHX) since it was cheaper than a roundtrip. I just noticed that my MIA-SJU flight was just changed to a 737-8 MAX (it was previously a 737-800).

My concern is that if the 737 MAX grounding is extended, AA won't be able to find a replacement aircraft and my ticket gets cancelled completely, leaving the return itinerary an orphan. What are the odds that AA won't be able to find a replacement and my ticket gets cancelled completely if the grounding gets extended? Surely there must be a lot of holiday travelers wanting to go to Puerto Rico.

BTW I am traveling with my mother and she doesn't want me to change the flights. Also, I purchased the outbound normally, but used WF GoFar Rewards points for the return.

ryan182 Sep 7, 2019 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Delta 764 (Post 31501827)
I booked two one-way tickets (PHX-MIA-SJU and SJU-DFW-PHX) since it was cheaper than a roundtrip. I just noticed that my MIA-SJU flight was just changed to a 737-8 MAX (it was previously a 737-800).

My concern is that if the 737 MAX grounding is extended, AA won't be able to find a replacement aircraft and my ticket gets cancelled completely, leaving the return itinerary an orphan. What are the odds that AA won't be able to find a replacement and my ticket gets cancelled completely if the grounding gets extended? Surely there must be a lot of holiday travelers wanting to go to Puerto Rico.

BTW I am traveling with my mother and she doesn't want me to change the flights. Also, I purchased the outbound normally, but used WF GoFar Rewards points for the return.

When is your flight? MIA-SJU AA has 6x flights a day it looks like so you're probably safe either way* but when your flight is scheduled likely will determine if you do/dont get an aircraft swap/cancelation

*while I think this is the case as you can see above my track record on the subject AA and MAX isnt great

Delta 764 Sep 7, 2019 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182 (Post 31501968)
When is your flight? MIA-SJU AA has 6x flights a day it looks like so you're probably safe either way* but when your flight is scheduled likely will determine if you do/dont get an aircraft swap/cancelation

*while I think this is the case as you can see above my track record on the subject AA and MAX isnt great

Mine is the 11:04 PM flight on December 22. I really hope I don't get a cancellation, since there are probably a lot of people wanting to go to Puerto Rico for the holidays.

Hopefully AA can reroute me through DFW, CLT, or PHL if the flight gets cancelled.

ryan182 Sep 7, 2019 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Delta 764 (Post 31501997)
Mine is the 11:04 PM flight on December 22. I really hope I don't get a cancellation, since there are probably a lot of people wanting to go to Puerto Rico for the holidays.

Yeah in that case I would have some concerns as well, Dec 22 isn't that far out from the most recent date that Boeing/AA gave (which is the third?), its the last flight of the day and the holidays so flights are likely to be full and spare aircraft sparse. Though its also a route they opperate currently on 738s so it could end up that if the early Dec date that's projected slips they will go back to non-MAX 737 but I think you're warranted in being concerned given the history here.

Delta 764 Sep 7, 2019 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182 (Post 31502014)
Yeah in that case I would have some concerns as well, Dec 22 isn't that far out from the most recent date that Boeing/AA gave (which is the third?), its the last flight of the day and the holidays so flights are likely to be full and spare aircraft sparse. Though its also a route they opperate currently on 738s so it could end up that if the early Dec date that's projected slips they will go back to non-MAX 737 but I think you're warranted in being concerned given the history here.

Hopefully if the flight is canceled I get lucky and get rerouted through DFW, CLT, PHL, or ORD.

tylerdurden4543 Sep 8, 2019 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Delta 764 (Post 31502022)
Hopefully if the flight is canceled I get lucky and get rerouted through DFW, CLT, PHL, or ORD.

Routing from MIA to SJU via any of those airports doesn't seem particularly lucky...

Is there a flight currently scheduled MIA-SJU that isn't on the 737MAX? If so, I would personally try to be proactive and change to that or take a refund and book another carrier...

cmtlatitudes Sep 8, 2019 7:46 am

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543 (Post 31502951)
Routing from MIA to SJU via any of those airports doesn't seem particularly lucky...

Is there a flight currently scheduled MIA-SJU that isn't on the 737MAX? If so, I would personally try to be proactive and change to that or take a refund and book another carrier...

I agree with Ryan and tylerdurdan on this. You're actually lucky, in having a large number of still reasonably priced available options on this routing. I haven't booked my planned holiday trip yet, because AA swapped in the MAX last week, and it's the only option.

Personally, in your situation, I'd proactively rebook on one of these for December 22nd:

PHX: Departs 10:55 AM
SJU: Arrives 11:56 PM
Flight Time: 10h 1m
PHX - PHL AA 629 321-Airbus A321
PHL - SJU AA 1529 321-Airbus A321

Or:

PHX: Departs 11:56 AM
SJU: Arrives 11:22 PM
Flight Time: 8h 26m
PHX - DFW AA 1557 32Q-Airbus A321neo
DFW - SJU AA 2481 321-Airbus A321

Or the First Flight in on December 23rd:

PHX: Departs 12:40 AM
SJU: Arrives 1:05 PM
Flight Time: 9h 25m
PHX - PHL AA 782 321-Airbus A321
PHL - SJU AA 1496 333-Airbus A330

dwcatty Sep 9, 2019 10:54 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 31481078)
Current dates airlines are speculating their 737 MAX aircraft will be recertifications and flyable:

AA November 2 December 3

Ha! I have a flight December 4 STT-MIA scheduled on a MAX.

JDiver Sep 9, 2019 11:39 am

Originally Posted by dwcatty (Post 31507119)
Ha! I have a flight December 4 STT-MIA scheduled on a MAX.

I think some of us would be surprised to see the MAX fully recertified, out of mothballs and flying by then. (Removing the aircraft from mothballs and having them ready for flight is said to take about a month.)

enpremiere Oct 9, 2019 7:15 am

October 13th Schedule MAX-related Schedule Changes

Per AA there should be some decently widespread domestic updates following the latest announcement regarding the 7M8 service re-certification delay.

On Oct. 13, American will run a formal schedule change, and customers who were previously booked on a MAX will see their reservation updated on aa.com.
While American's official stance is that those routes will be switched by 737 aircraft for flights through Jan. 6, watch those reservations.

For flights after that they are careful to use the "majority" so there will be some thrashing:

Customers booked on a MAX from Jan. 7 through Jan. 15:The majority of these customers will be accommodated on the same flight operated by a different aircraft type, which may include a 737-800 or an Airbus aircraft. Beginning Oct. 13, American’s Reservations and Sales team will contact affected customers who are impacted by any potential flight cancellations. Customers who booked through a travel agent will be contacted by their agency directly.
Newsroom - An Update on the Boeing 737 MAX - American Airlines Group, Inc.

ryan182 Oct 9, 2019 7:23 am

why is this here? Has nothing to do with Premium Fare Deals

ryandc99 Oct 9, 2019 7:25 am

Moving this to the AA forum.

Ryandc99, Moderator Mileage Run

enpremiere Oct 9, 2019 7:26 am

Originally Posted by ryan182 (Post 31608998)
why is this here? Has nothing to do with Premium Fare Deals

In my morning stupor I thought that I was in the AA forum. My apologies!