FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1960706-archive-737-max-7m8-grounded-until-tba-what-do-if-scheduled-fly-one.html)

TWA884 Apr 9, 2019 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by transportbiz (Post 30983014)
AA reply: (with a phone number I don't understand at all).April 9, 2019

You are always welcome to contact us with post travel inquiries or concerns and reservations at 8700-433-7300 with current and future travel questions.

Looks like a fat finger typo; American's main reservation number is 800-433-7300.

JDiver Apr 14, 2019 11:41 am

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 30980545)
When the 737-MAX8 grounding is lifted? How much longer is it? Hopefully they will resolved it. Right now, FAA, NTSB, Boeing is still ongoing investigation. They won't wait for any much longer.

According to articles from Reuters, BBC, etc. and statement from AA to employees and customers, the AA MAX 8 aircraft, though expected to be decertified by that time, is off the schedule through August 19, 2019, joining Southwest in scheduling the 2019 summer high season without their MAX aircraft.

115 daily flights of 7,000 plus daily flights will be cancelled due to the grounding of the 24 MAX 8 aircraft. AA has canceled nearly 2,500 flights to date since the March 13 grounding. The MAX 8 will be used as spares and to fill in the schedule when they do return to service.

"By extending our cancellations through the summer, we can plan more reliably for the peak travel season and provide confidence to our customers and team members when it comes to their travel plans,'' said CEO Doug Parker and President Robert Isom.

JIMCHI Apr 14, 2019 2:46 pm

Anyone know if the schedules showing on AA.com today are the new schedules reflecting cancellations through August 19th?

jcatman May 13, 2019 5:37 pm

Aircraft Change Notification

Just received an email today from American Airlines, informing me that a late August flight from MIA-SJU, and the return SJU-MIA, will now be operated by a 737-800 MAX (former equipment was a 737-800).

JDiver May 13, 2019 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman (Post 31098148)
Just received an email today from American Airlines, informing me that a late August flight from MIA-SJU, and the return SJU-MIA, will now be operated by a 737-800 MAX (former equipment was a 737-800).

That’s more hopeful than solid. The MAX ACARS update, etc. are under review by pilots, FAA, EASA, CAC, etc. I think it’s feasible, but extensive reviews and politics could intervene.

jcatman May 13, 2019 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 31098223)
That’s more hopeful than solid. The MAX ACARS update, etc. are under review by pilots, FAA, EASA, CAC, etc. I think it’s feasible, but extensive reviews and politics could intervene.

Right you are. Today's Wall Street Journal article regarding the MAX makes the aircraft's return seem quite complicated.

ISTFlyer May 14, 2019 4:12 am

Same situation as jcatman,

My flight, AA 1985 from MIA to DCA on late August was supposed to be operated by a PMUS A321 and now the equipment is Boeing 737-MAX-8. I have learned this when an e-mail came from AA that indicated that my flight was changed due to schedule changes.

flyer4512 Jun 5, 2019 8:48 pm

Max 8 Question

I'm sure there is a main thread for Max 8 questions but I can't seem to locate it so hopefully the mods can move the post

We have a flight December 7 on a Max 8 from CLT to MSP. It's the 2nd leg of our flight that originates in PUJ. This was the only flight leaving PUJ in the afternoon with lay down seats PUJ/CLT and enough time to safely clear customs in CLT.

Will AA swap out the 738 for a different aircraft if the Max 8 is not cleared to fly or will the leg be cancelled ?

As of now AA is still selling tickets on this flight and I'm not sure I even want to fly in a MAX 8, do we have the option to cancel as we paid in miles and don't want to pay the reinstatement fee which is $150 I believe.

Thank You

ryan182 Jun 5, 2019 8:55 pm

Its a near certainty that the MAX issues will be sorted well before December so I wouldn't worry about a cancellation due to lack of aircraft. As to canceling without the fee, again being as the flight is in Dec ordinarily I'd guess they wouldn't waive the fee but given the publicity around this they might; if you're that concerned its worth asking.

flyer4512 Jun 5, 2019 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182 (Post 31174990)
Its a near certainty that the MAX issues will be sorted well before December so I wouldn't worry about a cancellation due to lack of aircraft. As to canceling without the fee, again being as the flight is in Dec ordinarily I'd guess they wouldn't waive the fee but given the publicity around this they might; if you're that concerned its worth asking.

Thanks, I emailed AA.

FlyerWx Jun 6, 2019 7:06 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512 (Post 31175024)
Thanks, I emailed AA.

Honestly, if you really do want to cancel the tickets, I'd recommend calling. It would give you a better opportunity to explain your reasoning to a real person on the phone.

sfozrhfco Jun 6, 2019 7:13 am

Originally Posted by ryan182 (Post 31174990)

There is actually no certainty that the Max planes will be flying by December. There is still a long road ahead. Better to sort things out now and move to another carrier while seats are still available or pick another destination.

Jase0581 Jun 6, 2019 8:58 am

I just wanted to point out that the 738, which is the 737-800, is not the same as the Max 8, which has an equipment code of 7M8. It appears your flight is on the 737-800 and not the Max 8.

Djokison Jun 6, 2019 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Jase0581 (Post 31176296)
I just wanted to point out that the 738, which is the 737-800, is not the same as the Max 8, which has an equipment code of 7M8. It appears your flight is on the 737-800 and not the Max 8.

Good catch. None of the CLT-MSP flights are scheduled on the MAX.

AAdamE Jun 6, 2019 9:37 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512 (Post 31174972)
I'm sure there is a main thread for Max 8 questions but I can't seem to locate it so hopefully the mods can move the post

We have a flight December 7 on a Max 8 from CLT to MSP. It's the 2nd leg of our flight that originates in PUJ. This was the only flight leaving PUJ in the afternoon with lay down seats PUJ/CLT and enough time to safely clear customs in CLT.

Will AA swap out the 738 for a different aircraft if the Max 8 is not cleared to fly or will the leg be cancelled ?

As of now AA is still selling tickets on this flight and I'm not sure I even want to fly in a MAX 8, do we have the option to cancel as we paid in miles and don't want to pay the reinstatement fee which is $150 I believe.

Thank You

I'd be willing to bet when they put them back in service, there will be a limited window to change flights without a fee, i.e. booked before X date, but even with that, its going to be harder and harder to avoid.