FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1960706-archive-737-max-7m8-grounded-until-tba-what-do-if-scheduled-fly-one.html)

redct Mar 14, 2019 10:12 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 30886684)
OK, flights for 4/1 have been changed. Now on E-175 equipment from LGA to MIA (thats a long E-175 flight!). Flight departs one hour later than previously scheduled on a Max 8.

It's a long E175 flight, but almost certainly more comfortable than the 7M8!

IADCAflyer Mar 14, 2019 10:23 am

Originally Posted by redct (Post 30886836)

I was actually "looking forward" to the 738M flight to say I've done it and to be able to authoritatively ..... about the lack of legroom and toilet room.

JDiver Mar 14, 2019 10:45 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 30886884)
I was actually "looking forward" to the 738M flight to say I've done it and to be able to authoritatively ..... about the lack of legroom and toilet room.

Don’t worry, Project Oasis will assure your dream comes true soon enough.

JDiver Mar 14, 2019 10:52 am

Originally Posted by tbrein (Post 30884810)
What happens after April 4?

Boeing is developing new programming for the MCAS that is implicated in the crashes. If it is approved by the FAA, and installed, April 4 might be the date the MAX is recertifications to fly. Or, the date will be changed.

Personally, at this time the April 4 date reeks of optimism. If I had a MAX operated flight in early April in particular, I’d be proactive and keep an eye out for changes that might a,low me to change without fee, and on AA policy.

On Mar 12th 2019 Boeing issued following release with respect to MCAS, Lion Air Flight 610 and Ethiopian flight 302:

For the past several months and in the aftermath of Lion Air Flight 610, Boeing has been developing a flight control software enhancement for the 737 MAX, designed to make an already safe aircraft even safer. This includes updates to the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) flight control law, pilot displays, operation manuals and crew training. The enhanced flight control law incorporates angle of attack (AOA) inputs, limits stabilizer trim commands in response to an erroneous angle of attack reading, and provides a limit to the stabilizer command in order to retain elevator authority.

The FAA says it anticipates mandating this software enhancement with an Airworthiness Directive (AD) no later than April. We have worked with the FAA in development of this software enhancement. - Aviation Herald

IADCAflyer Mar 14, 2019 10:53 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30886984)
Don’t worry, Project Oasis will assure your dream comes true soon enough.

Not sure if dream is the right word...... Confronting my destiny more would be more like it. Like Harry Potter viewing his fate.

MGW2000 Mar 14, 2019 10:54 am

Trying to book BOS-MIA on 3/28 and all the Max flights (first three or four of the day) are zeroed out....

Will be interesting to see what happens.

cmd320 Mar 14, 2019 11:35 am

Originally Posted by redct (Post 30886836)

That's actually quite an upgrade. In any cabin.

MSPeconomist Mar 14, 2019 11:49 am

Originally Posted by iadisgreat (Post 30884885)
If the plane is grounded, then obviously you won't be flying it...

NO, AA could swap aircraft around. It's not at all clear that the flights that were ascheduled on MAX 8s are the flights that will be cancelled. Moreover, in the end I would expect to see a fewer total number of cancelled flights than the total number that were scheduled on MAX 8s. AA will rearrange aircraft schedules and use their equipment more intensely. They'll prioritize flights/routes to keep and which ones can be cancelled with minimal impact on profits.

Cledaybuck Mar 14, 2019 3:21 pm

Any advice on which seats to select if I have a max 8 flight that is likely to become a 738 flight if the max is still grounded?
Edit: y or y+

econometrics Mar 14, 2019 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck (Post 30887994)
Any advice on which seats to select if I have a max 8 flight that is likely to become a 738 flight if the max is still grounded?
Edit: y or y+

Looks like the MAX will be grounded "until May at least"... https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47567039

Rows 7, 8 and 9 on the 737-800 are MCE. (Rows 8-10 are MCE on the Oasis 737's). I prefer row 8, as I don't have to feel guilty reclining into a non-MCE person behind me if I choose to recline.

I'm not an exit row fan, as I don't like being another 4-6 rows further back in the plane when landing and wanting to get off the plane ASAP.

YMMV.

HofstraJet Mar 14, 2019 3:42 pm

Any idea if MIA-LAS is a "profitable" route which will not be cancelled and instead a plane swapped? Wife is scheduled for a flight MIA-LAS 4/17 and, as it looks doubtful that this mess will be sorted out by then, I'm wondering if her flight (last one of several that day but the only one on 7M8 - others are 757) will be cancelled and everyone re-accommodated on the earlier flights that day. If so, I'm thinking it best to call sooner rather than later and get her on the flight that impacts her schedule the least.

Thanks!

TravelLawyer Mar 14, 2019 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30887179)
NO, AA could swap aircraft around. It's not at all clear that the flights that were ascheduled on MAX 8s are the flights that will be cancelled. Moreover, in the end I would expect to see a fewer total number of cancelled flights than the total number that were scheduled on MAX 8s. AA will rearrange aircraft schedules and use their equipment more intensely. They'll prioritize flights/routes to keep and which ones can be cancelled with minimal impact on profits.

So if you see your non-MAX 737 (wasn't remotely close to being full) flight next week look completely zeroed out...that's not a good sign right?

lobo411 Mar 14, 2019 5:49 pm

Boeing's software update might have been implemented already were it not for the government shutdown, which closed the FAA for 35 days.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/13/polit...are/index.html

ijgordon Mar 14, 2019 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 30886684)
OK, flights for 4/1 have been changed. Now on E-175 equipment from LGA to MIA (thats a long E-175 flight!). Flight departs one hour later than previously scheduled on a Max 8.

I think UA flies them EWR to EYW (Key West).

midvid Mar 14, 2019 8:53 pm

Flying AUS-MIA, Monday 18th.. flight cancelled. The 're-book bot' tried to book me on to Tuesday.. Human agent managed to find seats leaving 5.03 am via Dallas. Not ideal, but works.