FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1960706-archive-737-max-7m8-grounded-until-tba-what-do-if-scheduled-fly-one.html)

MSPeconomist Mar 17, 2019 1:31 pm

This sounds like AA is planning to return to its previous aircraft schedule if/when the MAX is permitted to fly again. It could also be interpreted as AA trying to hide the flights that might be MAX from people who are buying tickets now. I could easily envision many people wanting to switch to other flights that won't be operated with a MAX after it returns to service.

brp Mar 18, 2019 3:57 pm

Anyone flying MIA-SFO this Sunday evening (3/24)?

Gonna throw out a random re-accommodation thing her..ya know...just in case.

We were scheduled to fly Sunday (3/24) MIA-SFO at 7:44PM, in F (I still like to call it F :)). That flight went away and we are now on a 9:30PM flight (gets in at 12:53AM). Can't make that work for us, but preferred earlier flights (6:09 direct, 5:30 via LAX) are zeroed in F.

On the off chance that someone on one of those flights wants to go on the later flight (we need two seats), perhaps we could work it out with AA and swap. Yeah, shot in the dark, but stranger things have happened here.

Cheers.

IADCAflyer Mar 18, 2019 4:01 pm

This is why I work to be proactive on cancellations. Wait for last minute (like AA is prone to do) and you're left with table scraps for availability.

GrjApp Mar 18, 2019 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by brp (Post 30902583)
Gonna throw out a random re-accommodation thing her..ya know...just in case.

We were scheduled to fly Sunday (3/24) MIA-SFO at 7:44PM, in F (I still like to call it F :)). That flight went away and we are now on a 9:30PM flight (gets in at 12:53AM). Can't make that work for us, but preferred earlier flights (6:09 direct, 5:30 via LAX) are zeroed in F.

On the off chance that someone on one of those flights wants to go on the later flight (we need two seats), perhaps we could work it out with AA and swap. Yeah, shot in the dark, but stranger things have happened here.

Cheers.

Have you called AA? The flight I wanted when my original flight went away was also zeroed out. The agent was able to get approval to get me a confirmed seat on it when I asked. They may well have upgraded somebody early in order to make it happen.

ETA: just realized you’re already in F so not necessarily an option for you. But worth asking.

brp Mar 18, 2019 4:05 pm

Yeah, I only saw the change in the app Saturday and everything else was already gone. Should check more frequently :)

Cheers.

brp Mar 18, 2019 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by GrjApp (Post 30902610)

Have you called AA? The flight I wanted when my original flight went away was also zeroed out. The agent was able to get approval to get me a confirmed seat on it when I asked. They may well have upgraded somebody early in order to make it happen.

They called me today. But there really are no open seats in F (we are paid F). Don't wanna go coach. One of the flights actually has 1 seat showing on EF (even though J0), but we need 2. If I saw a second, I'd call and try to push it, even with J0. But I do believe that there are not the seats at present.

Cheers

Mickidon Mar 18, 2019 7:21 pm

My advice is to keep checking your AA flights, whatever the equipment. My JFK/LAS flight was canceled and AA did not alert me - I found out by looking at the reservation
as is my habit. Instead, they booked me on a connection via LAX that had me arriving 8 hours later than the original. I'm guessing they are using this aircraft
for more important routes, but some notice might have been nice.

elkue Mar 20, 2019 11:01 am

I'm booked LGA to MIA on April 19th in the evening. I have a flight I need to catch the next day, also on AA but on a separate booking. My itinerary still shows a 737M8 -- should I be worried about a disruption as the date of travel approaches?

Cledaybuck Mar 20, 2019 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 30902596)
This is why I work to be proactive on cancellations. Wait for last minute (like AA is prone to do) and you're left with table scraps for availability.

How are you supposed to be proactive about this though?

jraimond48 Mar 20, 2019 12:53 pm

Do people think AA would book me on another airline? They cancelled my flight to Portland and rebooked me a full day later and through Phoenix. My friends are flying Southwest. If it worth trying to ask them to book me on another airline so I can get there the same day I was originally booked or is this a waste of time?

IADCAflyer Mar 20, 2019 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck (Post 30909853)
How are you supposed to be proactive about this though?

The minute you hear about a cancellation or a waiver policy, look up your alternatives, plan a list of three -reasonable- choices, and call and have changes made.

When I had a flight delay at LAX a couple months back, the second the gate agent started announcing delays I started looking up alternatives. When that delay grew to 20 minutes, and then 35 minutes, and then 50 minutes, I hightailed it to the Admirals Club and had my flight changed. Even then, the Admirals Club agent couldnt see my flight because she was looking at only those flights where she figured there would be easy routings. When I -told- her what flights I was looking at, she paused for a minute, saw it, say "well yeah" and booked it.

If you wait for the last minute and simple active reactively instead of proactively, you wind up with fewer and fewer options. The MAX was grounded on the 13th with a memo out that evening. If I had a transcon flight that night relatively close in, I would have been on the phone that evening.

cedric Mar 20, 2019 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by jraimond48 (Post 30910052)
Do people think AA would book me on another airline? They cancelled my flight to Portland and rebooked me a full day later and through Phoenix. My friends are flying Southwest. If it worth trying to ask them to book me on another airline so I can get there the same day I was originally booked or is this a waste of time?

AA should allow you to cancel for a full refund in this case.
But they don't have the ability to ticket on Southwest - you'd have to purchase your tickets directly on your friend's flight.

Mickidon Mar 20, 2019 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by jraimond48 (Post 30910052)

AA wouldn't do it for me. I got a refund from AA and rebooked myself on JetBlue. I was actually holding the JetBlue flight on a refundable basis as I had a suspicion AA would cancel and rebook me on something totally unacceptable. I was right, but the belt and suspenders approach worked, though it cost a bit more.

Cledaybuck Mar 20, 2019 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 30910122)
The minute you hear about a cancellation or a waiver policy, look up your alternatives, plan a list of three -reasonable- choices, and call and have changes made.

When I had a flight delay at LAX a couple months back, the second the gate agent started announcing delays I started looking up alternatives. When that delay grew to 20 minutes, and then 35 minutes, and then 50 minutes, I hightailed it to the Admirals Club and had my flight changed. Even then, the Admirals Club agent couldnt see my flight because she was looking at only those flights where she figured there would be easy routings. When I -told- her what flights I was looking at, she paused for a minute, saw it, say "well yeah" and booked it.

If you wait for the last minute and simple active reactively instead of proactively, you wind up with fewer and fewer options. The MAX was grounded on the 13th with a memo out that evening. If I had a transcon flight that night relatively close in, I would have been on the phone that evening.

Sure, but by definition, these MAX cancellations are last minute and AA won't allow you to change anything until they change/cancel the flight.

IADCAflyer Mar 20, 2019 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck (Post 30910411)
Sure, but by definition, these MAX cancellations are last minute and AA won't allow you to change anything until they change/cancel the flight.

Not correct. AA issued a memo the day they were grounded stating that people could make changes up through 4/3 or 4/4. Thats how I changed my ticket for 4/2.