FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

SJWarrior Aug 17, 2019 2:54 pm

Who to contact

On my way to Europe on AA metal switching to BA at LHR.

flying J and one bag still shows it sitting at the last airport. I’ve emailed AA from the plane to see how to get it moving if possible. I got the old give you a response in five to 10 day reply.

who can I email? Who can I tweet. I can’t call from the air. At the AC they called and said the flight that could catch my connection is delayed and it won’t get here in time. They also said they won’t put it on a nonstop to beat me there.

so is there someone I can email or tweet from the plane to see if anything can be done.
It my SO’s only piece of baggage ?

And it it still shows on the ground at the last airport.

thanks much !!

TWA884 Aug 17, 2019 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by SJWarrior (Post 31427386)
who can I email? Who can I tweet.

Tweet @AmericanAir. They are pretty responsive, they should get back to you within an hour if not instantaneously.

SJWarrior Aug 17, 2019 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 31427413)
Tweet @AmericanAir. They are pretty responsive, they should get back to you within an hour if not instantaneously.

thanks !!!

also switching from AA metal to BA metal at LHR. Do I need to get my bags (what’s left lol), clear customs and recheck to my final destination?

wrp96 Aug 17, 2019 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by SJWarrior (Post 31427606)

thanks !!!

also switching from AA metal to BA metal at LHR. Do I need to get my bags (what’s left lol), clear customs and recheck to my final destination?

Were they tagged all the way to your final destination? If so you do not collect them at LHR but instead collect them at your final destination. You will also file the lost baggage complaint with BA at the final destination as they are the last carrier on your itinerary.

Mwenenzi Aug 18, 2019 12:30 am

Originally Posted by SJWarrior (Post 31427606)
Also switching from AA metal to BA metal at LHR. Do I need to get my bags (what’s left lol), clear customs and recheck to my final destination?

Is USA-LHR & LHR - Eu on the same ticket?
Or separate tickets?
Passports from USA?
If all flight on the same ticket you will see your bags at the final destination and no immigration/customs at LHR. May have some security at LHR

Full details of your flights helps in getting better answers

allset2travel Aug 18, 2019 9:08 am

AA changed my flight, what to do?

I have an open-jaw booking (1 PNR & SWUs cleared on all flights) per following:
PVG-xLAX-SFO (transit time in LAX was 4.5 hours which I prefer)
SFO-xLAX-PEK

Now I received email that AA changed my LAX-SFO flight to an earlier flight by 1.5 hours. My plan was to exit airport and have a meeting outside. Now new schedule will make that impossible.

Can I cancel that leg (LAX-SFO) only without (hopefully) having the rest of ticket cancelled by AA?
How should I approach this with AA?
Thanks for advice & suggestions.

flyingeph12 Aug 18, 2019 9:36 am

Originally Posted by allset2travel (Post 31429246)
I have an open-jaw booking (1 PNR & SWUs cleared on all flights) per following:
PVG-xLAX-SFO (transit time in LAX was 4.5 hours which I prefer)
SFO-xLAX-PEK

Now I received email that AA changed my LAX-SFO flight to an earlier flight by 1.5 hours. My plan was to exit airport and have a meeting outside. Now new schedule will make that impossible.

Can I cancel that leg (LAX-SFO) only without (hopefully) having the rest of ticket cancelled by AA?
How should I approach this with AA?
Thanks for advice & suggestions.

You can ask for a different LAX-SFO flight that will work better with your schedule. Additionally, given that the schedule change is by 90 minutes, I think you could reasonably ask to have that leg removed without affecting the rest of your itinerary—although not 100% sure. Don't accept any of the changes and give AA a call. If you don't like the answer the first agent gives you, try hanging up and calling again.

Deacon61 Aug 18, 2019 9:49 am

Platinum Challenge

I’m new to FT and like others am trying to reach platinum pro status by Sep 25. I think I can get the EQD or very close with trips completed and planned. The EQM requirement leaves me 6000-8000 short. Is there a way to see a consolidated list of flights by miles? I am open to a quick mileage run or a destination overseas but don’t know how to search for options. Thanks!

flyingeph12 Aug 18, 2019 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Deacon61 (Post 31429335)
I’m new to FT and like others am trying to reach platinum pro status by Sep 25. I think I can get the EQD or very close with trips completed and planned. The EQM requirement leaves me 6000-8000 short. Is there a way to see a consolidated list of flights by miles? I am open to a quick mileage run or a destination overseas but don’t know how to search for options. Thanks!

I don't think such a list exists (maybe they did back in the day when flight schedules were printed in booklets). But Google Flights is your friend (enter your hometown airport(s), leave destination blank, and filter on the specific oneworld airlines you want). You can figure out mileage using Great Circle Mapper.

Deacon61 Aug 18, 2019 10:30 am

Google flights looks like it will help thanks! Do Iberia and BA flights count the same as AA flights towards the challenge?

SJWarrior Aug 18, 2019 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31428343)
Is USA-LHR & LHR - Eu on the same ticket?
Or separate tickets?
Passports from USA?
If all flight on the same ticket you will see your bags at the final destination and no immigration/customs at LHR. May have some security at LHR

Full details of your flights helps in getting better answers

thanks, yes same ticket. ORD - RDU-LHR on AA. Onward led into SFO. US passport
And you were right, only security at LHR.

Still no bags. They sent one with my/their tag on it that said it was mine. But not even close.

so now there is two of us without baggage. Oy

allset2travel Aug 18, 2019 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 31429314)
You can ask for a different LAX-SFO flight that will work better with your schedule. Additionally, given that the schedule change is by 90 minutes, I think you could reasonably ask to have that leg removed without affecting the rest of your itinerary—although not 100% sure. Don't accept any of the changes and give AA a call. If you don't like the answer the first agent gives you, try hanging up and calling again.

Same thoughts here.
HUCA.
Thanks.

Still would love to hear from anyone with real experience on this situation.

JDiver Aug 18, 2019 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Deacon61 (Post 31429439)
Google flights looks like it will help thanks! Do Iberia and BA flights count the same as AA flights towards the challenge?

You should recheck your specific offer, but as indicated in the Wikipost at the top of the page of https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...challenge.html, AA, AY, BA, IB, JL and often QF marketed flights count. And EQD is by distance on the non-AA carriers. See the specific carrier’s miles easprning chart on AA for specific fares.

kenco1 Aug 20, 2019 9:41 am

Way To Search Cheap Flights Out Of CLT

First time poster here, is there an app or website where I can search for cheap flights out of CLT? I want to do a couple mileage/segment runs to retain Gold, and I want to take my son on his first flight somewhere cheap as well. I have just been entering destination airport codes on the AA app to look at prices but figured there's got to be a better way?

travelsbyplane Aug 20, 2019 9:44 am

Hello, my first post here on the AA forum. For some reason I can't find out how much, or indeed whether there is a cost to reserve a seat when booking through AA, on AA metal, in premium economy? Are all seats free to select, or are some free and some not free? Also in case it's relevant I have bronze status with BAEC (oneworld ruby), which I'm guessing may affect this as well. The reason I'm wondering is because I'm trying to comapre BA vs AA on LHR-JFK, and I know that BA would charge for an advance seat selection in WT+ for me, unless I am within 7 days of the flight due to bronze status. Many thanks!