FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

JJeffrey Sep 15, 19 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Deacon61 (Post 31527096)
I just completed the challenge offered by AA and get to keep platinum pro through Jan. 2021. Thanks to this site, it was a little easier to plan for the challenge and thanks to all that post here. Is there any way to upgrade on an award travel with status? Conflicting articles out there on this.

Also, do I get the SWUs some people have talked about? Or is that only ExP? Lastly, what’s the best way to see if an upgrade is available when booking? Thanks!!

There should not be any conflicting info re: upgrading award tickets, only EXP & CK can upgrade award tickets in N. America via the normal domestic UDU/500-mi process.

On award flights, anyone (even no-status pax) can change to a higher class of service award for no fee if it's available, you just have to pay the difference in miles.

And only EXP & CK get SWU's.

Finally, ExpertFlyer (paid service) is the only real way to check yourself if upgrade space is available before you book. This let's you check for C space, which is what you would need if you are trying to upgrade with miles/copay (or SWU's). Otherwise you just have to call AA, which will largely be a fruitless exercise as finding C space in advance is pretty rare.

Deckter Sep 15, 19 10:55 am

Hello dear experts,

I made a booking on mixed metal, BA+AA (TXL-CUN) return through an OTA. I know i should have done it through AA website, but the price difference was quite big, and also, i did not find any information about AA having a BPG, so i assumed they don't.

The booking class for that flight is Q. Is there any chance of upgrading for cash to PE on the return transatlantic flight without doing it through the OTA, which are likely to charge me for it? Would i be offered an upgrade option during online check-in?

Thanks for your help.

stant Sep 15, 19 3:23 pm

Howdy,
Not really an AA newbie here, been EXP for more than just a year or two, but I'm new to the AA forum, so this will probably be a newbie question...

I have already used all of my SWUs for the year. Something has come up and I need to visit my partner in England in short notice. When I log onto my AA account and look at flights I normally see that little notice for flights that might have confirmable space for SWU use, but right now I dont see it. Is that because I dont have any more SWUs for this year, and havent re-qualified yet? Using google flights I cant find anything between tampa and london in the dates I need for much less than 8-10k$. I could just get an award ticket but I need EQMs and EQDs for the year as I already burned those SWAs AND had 2 trips worth of biz extra miles expiring this year I used... With plenty of $800 coach seats and $1500 premium coach seats, I would much rather pay for a ticket, but I'd also much rather be in a lay flat bed, so I would only go that route if I know in advance I can get the upgrade (with miles obviously)

Any way I can search for this on my own without having to phone in an ask a rep to check a billion and one route, and date combos?

TIA

gateH15 Sep 15, 19 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by stant (Post 31528335)
Howdy,
Not really an AA newbie here, been EXP for more than just a year or two, but I'm new to the AA forum, so this will probably be a newbie question...

I have already used all of my SWUs for the year. Something has come up and I need to visit my partner in England in short notice. When I log onto my AA account and look at flights I normally see that little notice for flights that might have confirmable space for SWU use, but right now I dont see it. Is that because I dont have any more SWUs for this year, and havent re-qualified yet? Using google flights I cant find anything between tampa and london in the dates I need for much less than 8-10k$. I could just get an award ticket but I need EQMs and EQDs for the year as I already burned those SWAs AND had 2 trips worth of biz extra miles expiring this year I used... With plenty of $800 coach seats and $1500 premium coach seats, I would much rather pay for a ticket, but I'd also much rather be in a lay flat bed, so I would only go that route if I know in advance I can get the upgrade (with miles obviously)

Any way I can search for this on my own without having to phone in an ask a rep to check a billion and one route, and date combos?

TIA

Subscribe to expert flyer and check for C space availability. If flight is at least C1 you can upgrade with miles or SWU instantly at booking.

stant Sep 15, 19 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 31528353)
Subscribe to expert flyer and check for C space availability. If flight is at least C1 you can upgrade with miles or SWU instantly at booking.

Is it correct then that this SWU display vanishes when you use your SWUs?

Is getting a subscription to expert flier going to give me any data that i wont otherwise already have if I havent burned all of my SWUs for the year?

If this bit of data is the *only* thing I see myself needing is there any way to force the AA (or google flights) web page to show it to me?

Thanks

Mwenenzi Sep 15, 19 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Deckter (Post 31527591)
I made a booking on mixed metal, BA+AA (TXL-CUN) return through an OTA. I know I should have done it through AA website, but the price difference was quite big, and also, i did not find any information about AA having a BPG, so i assumed they don't.

The booking class for that flight is Q. Is there any chance of upgrading for cash to PE on the return transatlantic flight without doing it through the OTA, which are likely to charge me for it? Would i be offered an upgrade option during online check-in?.

AA or BA flight numbers?
AA (001) or BA(125) ticket?
Route? (TXL-LHR-xxx-CUN?)
AA or BA status?
Transatlantic flight with which airline?
The OTA "owns" the ticket until the first segment,
A common question but more detail needed.
But just expect to fly in the seat you purchased

AA https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html

AA https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ted-stock.html

BA https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...19-thread.html

MoonOverMiami Sep 15, 19 4:38 pm

A newbie question that I couldn't find the answer to ... If I use paid Upgrade vouchers for a flight upgrade does that bump EQD or EQM higher?

Deckter Sep 15, 19 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31528523)
AA or BA flight numbers?
AA (001) or BA(125) ticket?
Route? (TXL-LHR-xxx-CUN?)
AA or BA status?
Transatlantic flight with which airline?
The OTA "owns" the ticket until the first segment,
A common question but more detail needed.
But just expect to fly in the seat you purchased

Please see answers below:

AA or BA flight numbers? - TXL - LHR - TXL on BA, all other flight numbers on AA
AA (001) or BA(125) ticket? AA
Route? (TXL-LHR-xxx-CUN?) TXL - LHR - MIA - CUN
AA or BA status? Neither
Transatlantic flight with which airline? The segment is AA0038 (MIA - LHR)

When you say that the OTA owns the ticket until i fly the first segment, does that mean that after that i deal with AA even in case of IRROPS?

And thanks for the links provided, i'll have a look at them.

wdwright Sep 15, 19 5:44 pm

EXP - Club recommendations for ORD International Terminal 5

Flying SFO-ORD on AA tomorrow, then connecting to Finnair to HEL. As an AA EXP and Admirals Club member, I believe I have a choice of One World clubs in International Terminal 5. Would appreciate suggestions as t which would be the best choice.

flyingeph12 Sep 15, 19 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by wdwright (Post 31528691)
Flying SFO-ORD on AA tomorrow, then connecting to Finnair to HEL. As an AA EXP and Admirals Club member, I believe I have a choice of One World clubs in International Terminal 5. Would appreciate suggestions as t which would be the best choice.

I would go to the Flagship Lounge in T3 and just give yourself enough time to get to T5 before boarding (there is an airside shuttle if you have your AY boarding pass). None of the T5 lounges are really worth it in my opinion.

gateH15 Sep 15, 19 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 31528698)
I would go to the Flagship Lounge in T3 and just give yourself enough time to get to T5 before boarding (there is an airside shuttle if you have your AY boarding pass). None of the T5 lounges are really worth it in my opinion.

Plus one to that. BA lounge in T5 is not worth it. I would go to Flagship in T3, eat dinner and have a drink or two, then take airside bus to T5 and go to BA lounge is there is still time. There are no other oneworld lounge in T5

omegadeal Sep 15, 19 10:27 pm

I've been flying mainly on price / availability lately, but will likely still make EXP for this year. Sorry I haven't been paying attention.

- Have 2020 program details been announced yet? What changes do I need to be aware of?
- Given EXP was harder to make in the last two years, are they opening up advance upgrade availability? I lost a bunch of SWUs recently.

JDiver Sep 15, 19 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by omegadeal (Post 31529263)
I've been flying mainly on price / availability lately, but will likely still make EXP for this year. Sorry I haven't been paying attention.

- Have 2020 program details been announced yet? What changes do I need to be aware of?
- Given EXP was harder to make in the last two years, are they opening up advance upgrade availability? I lost a bunch of SWUs recently.

No changes have been announced. SWU have not become easier to use.

cheaptom Sep 16, 19 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by swag (Post 31494369)
One other Gold perk is a Main Cabin Extra seat for free at check-in. These can go quickly, so you'll want to check in right at T-24 andgrab what is available.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I'm always ready to pounce at T-24!. So while doing online checkin at T-24, there will be a link for "change seat," or something like that...and at that point, the system will recognize me as Gold and MCE will be available to choose?

swag Sep 17, 19 6:17 am

Originally Posted by cheaptom (Post 31531646)
Thanks to everyone for their help. I'm always ready to pounce at T-24!. So while doing online checkin at T-24, there will be a link for "change seat," or something like that...and at that point, the system will recognize me as Gold and MCE will be available to choose?

Yes.

(That assumes you had gold status before buying the ticket. Easiest way to verify is to start a seat change now, and see if the elite-only seats are selectable; if so, you're good to go. If not, you should call AA in advance to have them refresh the status on the ticket).