FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

kryten22uk Aug 15, 2019 10:14 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 31419126)
I see pretty good availability on the nonstop from PHX through the end of the schedule. Nothing on the nonstop from DFW or ORD, but I don't think that's particularly unusual.

Ah, maybe schedule is something to do with it, I was looking backwards in the availability calendar from July 2020 (330 days out), and nothing came up for PHX until you get to march. From 31 march and earlier, there is plenty. Is there a short schedule for this route maybe? It's odd though, as only business awards cut off at end march, whereas economy continue availability through to July.

Also, on the ORD/DFW routes, why do you say it's not unusual for there to be no business awards? (I know nothing of AA awards patterns)

JJeffrey Aug 15, 2019 11:47 am

Originally Posted by timmy83 (Post 31418807)
Good morning - Pseudo-newbie here posting with a question about status. I am a previous WN and DL top-tier, but have changed careers and locations and am now based out of PHL.

I am currently a Plat, and will hit Plat Pro this week with my next four segments. My question is how noticeable the benefits of hitting EXP will be compared with PlatPro, particularly as far as upgrades go, as I find the current other perks at PlatPro pretty good. I am a segment qualifier and don't travel internationally at all and tend to do mostly regional flights of 300-600 miles (I'd say about 60-70% of my segments have a F cabin). My most frequent mainline route is PHL-ORD-PHL, which I'm guessing I'd never get upgraded on. My current spend is $22,000 EQD and will likely be at $30K by the end of the year and I get upgraded on a lot of my regional flights.

I'm really asking as while I still might hit EXP by years end if I should focus on AA or begin shifting my dollars to other airlines offering similar routing/convenience to AA.

Thanks in advance for the AAdvice

Flying domestic only on short hops, you won't notice much difference at all between PLT Pro and EXP. There may be a few flights where you'll obviously be higher up on the waitlist, but as upgrades aren't as hard to come by on these flights (as you mentioned) the everyday experience will be largely the same. On a route like PHL-ORD though, you may jump from say 30-40% upgrade odds as a PLT Pro to say 50% as an EXP, but that will mostly depend on when you're flying.

The big EXP benefits kick in if you travel internationally; as a EXP/oneworld Emerald you can access F lounges, 4 SWU's for use on any AA flight, etc.

enpremiere Aug 15, 2019 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by timmy83 (Post 31418807)
Good morning - Pseudo-newbie here posting with a question about status. I am a previous WN and DL top-tier, but have changed careers and locations and am now based out of PHL.

I am currently a Plat, and will hit Plat Pro this week with my next four segments. My question is how noticeable the benefits of hitting EXP will be compared with PlatPro, particularly as far as upgrades go, as I find the current other perks at PlatPro pretty good. I am a segment qualifier and don't travel internationally at all and tend to do mostly regional flights of 300-600 miles (I'd say about 60-70% of my segments have a F cabin). My most frequent mainline route is PHL-ORD-PHL, which I'm guessing I'd never get upgraded on. My current spend is $22,000 EQD and will likely be at $30K by the end of the year and I get upgraded on a lot of my regional flights.

I'm really asking as while I still might hit EXP by years end if I should focus on AA or begin shifting my dollars to other airlines offering similar routing/convenience to AA.

Thanks in advance for the AAdvice

I see what you did there.

JJeffrey painted a very accurate picture - One more feature of EP is the ability to get awards redeposited without a fee.

If you are sure of EP with AA if you keep at it through the end of the year, then you're likely better off going for EP versus PPro with AA and Gold (dust or charcoal) status-equivalent with another carrier.

Sherab Sherab Aug 15, 2019 2:43 pm

Booked a last minute domestic flight to NY for tomorrow. The seat I could select was a middle seat. Aisle seat that I preferred are showing $43 extra. I checked in. Called AA to see if they can switch seat to Aisle. Told me this has to be done at the airport.

Do I ask the AA agent inside the airport at the boarding area or the ones at the terminal that process your checked bags? Any chance of giving me an Aisle seat without extra cost?

Thank you

JJeffrey Aug 15, 2019 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Sherab Sherab (Post 31420462)
Booked a last minute domestic flight to NY for tomorrow. The seat I could select was a middle seat. Aisle seat that I preferred are showing $43 extra. I checked in. Called AA to see if they can switch seat to Aisle. Told me this has to be done at the airport.

Do I ask the AA agent inside the airport at the boarding area or the ones at the terminal that process your checked bags? Any chance of giving me an Aisle seat without extra cost?

Thank you

Start asking the first agent you interact with, i.e. the check-in agent when you drop your bags. If that doesn't work, then ask at the gate.

Sherab Sherab Aug 15, 2019 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31420514)
Start asking the first agent you interact with, i.e. the check-in agent when you drop your bags. If that doesn't work, then ask at the gate.

Thanks. I don't have bag to check but will ask if there is no line at the check in, otherwise will do so at the Gate.

timmy83 Aug 15, 2019 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by enpremiere (Post 31419980)
I see what you did there.

JJeffrey painted a very accurate picture - One more feature of EP is the ability to get awards redeposited without a fee.

If you are sure of EP with AA if you keep at it through the end of the year, then you're likely better off going for EP versus PPro with AA and Gold (dust or charcoal) status-equivalent with another carrier.

Fantastic - thanks, enpremiere and JJeffrey for the advice. I suppose I'll continue on my journey to EXP.

gamefreakgcb Aug 16, 2019 2:13 am

Trying to complete the AA platinum challenge by Sept 25.

Hi all. I’ve known about FT for a while now and I have a question where I can finally post here.

I have a trip from JFK-JNB from Sept 24 - Sept 30. As I understand, the miles and EQD’s get credited the account after the flight has been taken. I need to earn 2400 EQD and 20,000 EQM by Sept 24. I have a budget of $2,000 to complete this. After 2 domestic flights in late August, I will be short by about 1250 EQD and about 13,000 EQMs. This is how much I’ll need to earn to keep Plat Pro until Jan 2021.

How can I attain the required amount on the JFK-JNB flight? I am looking at British Air flight to collect the required miles and dollars, but the 2nd part of the trip takes place after the Sept 25 deadline.

Upgrading the route to JNB costs $3,500. Highly expensive.

I’m trying hard to get the status because my future job changes require me to travel a lot starting next year. It would be nice to attain Plat Pro now and work up to EXP next year.

JJeffrey Aug 16, 2019 2:37 am

Originally Posted by gamefreakgcb (Post 31421970)
Hi all. I’ve known about FT for a while now and I have a question where I can finally post here.

I have a trip from JFK-JNB from Sept 24 - Sept 30. As I understand, the miles and EQD’s get credited the account after the flight has been taken. I need to earn 2400 EQD and 20,000 EQM by Sept 24. I have a budget of $2,000 to complete this. After 2 domestic flights in late August, I will be short by about 1250 EQD and about 13,000 EQMs. This is how much I’ll need to earn to keep Plat Pro until Jan 2021.

How can I attain the required amount on the JFK-JNB flight? I am looking at British Air flight to collect the required miles and dollars, but the 2nd part of the trip takes place after the Sept 25 deadline.

Upgrading the route to JNB costs $3,500. Highly expensive.

I’m trying hard to get the status because my future job changes require me to travel a lot starting next year. It would be nice to attain Plat Pro now and work up to EXP next year.

Welcome to FT. The exact dates are really important here . You first mention the deadline for the challenge is Sep 24, but then say Sep 25?

Your miles will post based on the date of the flight. So for JFK-JNB on BA, that will presumably be JFK-LHR-JNB. On Sep 24, are you taking the daytime early morning JFK-LHR flight connecting to the LHR-JNB flight that evening? If yes, then both flights would be on Sep 24, so that's good.

But if you're taking an evening JFK-LHR flight, flying overnight, then connecting to the next day's LHR-JNB flight, then only the JFK-LHR flight would post on Sep 24. See above re: dates are important.

In any event, flights on BA post by distance based on the fare booking code you book. Check out the BA Earning Page at aa.com The booking code (or upgrade) you would need on the BA flights will depend on your answers to the above questions.

gamefreakgcb Aug 16, 2019 2:41 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31422002)
Welcome to FT. The exact dates are really important here . You first mention the deadline for the challenge is Sep 24, but then say Sep 25?

Your miles will post based on the date of the flight. So for JFK-JNB on BA, that will presumably be JFK-LHR-JNB. On Sep 24, are you taking the daytime early morning JFK-LHR flight connecting to the LHR-JNB flight that evening? If yes, then both flights would be on Sep 24, so that's good.

But if you're taking an evening JFK-LHR flight, flying overnight, then connecting to the next day's LHR-JNB flight, then only the JFK-LHR flight would post on Sep 24. See above re: dates are important.

Sorry about that. Typing on a phone is a bit troublesome. Sept 25 is the deadline to attain the EQDs and EQMs.

gamefreakgcb Aug 16, 2019 2:48 am

I can spend the entire 2k on the flight to JNB. I can book an award ticket on the return flight.

flyingeph12 Aug 16, 2019 5:17 am

Originally Posted by kryten22uk (Post 31419399)
Ah, maybe schedule is something to do with it, I was looking backwards in the availability calendar from July 2020 (330 days out), and nothing came up for PHX until you get to march. From 31 march and earlier, there is plenty. Is there a short schedule for this route maybe? It's odd though, as only business awards cut off at end march, whereas economy continue availability through to July.

Also, on the ORD/DFW routes, why do you say it's not unusual for there to be no business awards? (I know nothing of AA awards patterns)

In general, AA had made SAAver space increasingly rare, especially to/from major gateway hubs like DFW. Often, with (international) business awards, it has been my experience that the toughest part to book is not necessarily the intercontinental flight (usually with a partner) but the domestic feeder flight with AA.

It makes sense to me that LAX and PHX have more availability since there is probably less demand from those airports. AA faces year-round competition from AS and DL at LAX, and there’s probably fewer people from PHX wanting to go to PVR (on top of competition on the route from Volaris).

AlphonsoMango Aug 16, 2019 9:47 am

Originally Posted by swag (Post 31418514)
They will charge the fee only if the new flights are within 21 days of the original ticketing date.

So for example, if you're ticketed already for October, and then call on Oct 2 to change the flights to Oct 4, that'd be free.

Also worth noting that you can make free date/time changes multiple times; you aren't limited to a single change.

Thank you for the clear explanation!

geosch Aug 17, 2019 9:28 am

Is there any use to less than 1000 AA miles set to expire next month? It seems it's not even possible to donate them.

TWA884 Aug 17, 2019 9:39 am

Originally Posted by geosch (Post 31426442)
Is there any use to less than 1000 AA miles set to expire next month? It seems it's not even possible to donate them.

You can get subscriptions to any number of magazines for under 1,000 miles at this site: Redeem Your Unused American Airlines AAdvantage® Miles Now!

Or make donations via this portal: Donate ("Minimum donation of 1,000 miles required. Members who have an available balance of less than 1,000 miles may donate their entire balance.")