FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

nitzuga Aug 5, 2019 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by MathMusic (Post 31382148)
With Gold status or higher you can select Preferred seats for free, and MCE seats are free at 24 hrs before departure. As higher level elites upgrade you can usually select a MCE seat when you check in 24 hrs before the flight.

With Platinum status or higher you can pick MCE seats for free at time of booking.

Some corporate fares can select preferred seats for free at Seatselect.aa.com without any status depending on the terms of your contract with AA.

Thank you, MathMusic. However, my question was mostly about how those benefits play with the extras fees in basic economy; I'm not sure whether everything you mentioned applies to BE as well.

guv1976 Aug 5, 2019 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by nitzuga (Post 31382125)
On a recent JFK-SFO flight in Basic Economy, I noticed that I could not only pay to choose a regular seat (for $9 iirc), but also pay for a preferred or MCE seat for significantly more ($70-100). I'm wondering if elite status benefits reduce the cost of choosing those preferred/ MCE seats. For example, if I had Platinum status, would the preferred and MCE seats also have shown up as costing $9?

There are no seat-selection benefits associated with elite status on AA Basic Economy fares. Elites do, however, still get free checked baggage, and access to priority check-in lines.

lennon Aug 6, 2019 8:16 pm

Premium Econ seats and plane change

In Feb I'll be flying from DFW to OGG in a Premium Economy seat. I've read that it's not uncommon for the flights to Maui to have equipment changes. What happens if the plane is swapped out to one that doesn't have a PE section? Would I be downgraded to basic econ and issued a refund in the price difference? Would a refund be sent automatically or would I have to request (or beg for) one through customer service? If there was no availability in economy but there was in First, would I be upgraded?

gateH15 Aug 6, 2019 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by lennon (Post 31387749)
In Feb I'll be flying from DFW to OGG in a Premium Economy seat. I've read that it's not uncommon for the flights to Maui to have equipment changes. What happens if the plane is swapped out to one that doesn't have a PE section? Would I be downgraded to basic econ and issued a refund in the price difference? Would a refund be sent automatically or would I have to request (or beg for) one through customer service? If there was no availability in economy but there was in First, would I be upgraded?

all AA wide body planes have PE except 767 so it’s very unlikely you can get plane without PE

WHITMIMI Aug 7, 2019 4:36 am

Hi there,
Booked a LHRMIALHR J Class ticket back in December 2018 for travel in a few weeks time.
As I am One World Emerald booked Seat 4A on the 77W in mini cabin on both flights. Noticed in last few days that I have been "bumped" from Seat 4A back to 6J in rear cabin.
What could explain this being done? Whilst not the end of the world I would at least appreciate an explanation, and AA phone reservations are unable to properly give me a straight answer.

JJeffrey Aug 7, 2019 6:02 am

Originally Posted by WHITMIMI (Post 31388826)
Hi there,
Booked a LHRMIALHR J Class ticket back in December 2018 for travel in a few weeks time.
As I am One World Emerald booked Seat 4A on the 77W in mini cabin on both flights. Noticed in last few days that I have been "bumped" from Seat 4A back to 6J in rear cabin.
What could explain this being done? Whilst not the end of the world I would at least appreciate an explanation, and AA phone reservations are unable to properly give me a straight answer.

Yea, a phone agent definitely will not be able to give you an answer, that's a dead end road for sure.

Pretty much one of two scenarios are most likely:

1) Equipment swap: you booked a long time ago and AA has been making seasonal changes to some LHR service, going between the 77W and 772 in certain markets. It's possible your flight went from 77W to 772 to 77W etc. and your seats were shuffled by the computer in the process.

2) FAM: Air Marshall's can poach your seat, aisle seats toward the front of the cabin are where they have to sit. If your flight has remained a 77W, and you've been keeping an eye on your reservation but just noticed the switch a few weeks before the flight, then this is the most likely scenario.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

WHITMIMI Aug 7, 2019 6:45 am

Thanks JJeffery. It has remained a 77W AFAIK since first booking the ticket so scenario 2 is most likely.

CPH-Flyer Aug 7, 2019 7:09 am

Newbie AA SWU question. Sorry if this is very obvious.

If I am booked on AA metal with a JL code, can a friend still apply an SWU to my booking?

JJeffrey Aug 7, 2019 7:17 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31389273)
Newbie AA SWU question. Sorry if this is very obvious.

If I am booked on AA metal with a JL code, can a friend still apply an SWU to my booking?

Short answer is no, must be AA metal and AA flight number.

CPH-Flyer Aug 7, 2019 7:22 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31389302)
Short answer is no, must be AA metal and AA flight number.

​​​​​​Thank you for the quick answer.

Not the best of answers from my perspective. But hey, will know to book an AA code next time..

peck Aug 7, 2019 12:10 pm

Hi everyone - I’m usually on BA but tomorrow night (Thursday) taking LAX-LHR on AA136. I’m in premium economy and would like to purchase an upgrade to business if available. BA allow this, but I’m unsure if this is something you can do on AA at the airport (maybe at the lounge)? Any advice welcome and thank you

gateH15 Aug 7, 2019 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by peck (Post 31390535)
Hi everyone - I’m usually on BA but tomorrow night (Thursday) taking LAX-LHR on AA136. I’m in premium economy and would like to purchase an upgrade to business if available. BA allow this, but I’m unsure if this is something you can do on AA at the airport (maybe at the lounge)? Any advice welcome and thank you

when you check in online you might be prompted to get upgrade for 500-700 dollars. If it’s not offered you can ask at the airport check in desk or lounge. It shows J5 F2 right now so maybe you will have a chance to upgrade. Also you can call AA now and ask to upfare but it will probably be expensive

peck Aug 7, 2019 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 31390566)

when you check in online you might be prompted to get upgrade for 500-700 dollars. If it’s not offered you can ask at the airport check in desk or lounge. It shows J5 F2 right now so maybe you will have a chance to upgrade. Also you can call AA now and ask to upfare but it will probably be expensive

Thank you gateh15 this is very useful. I will hope it is offered and report back later.

MathMusic Aug 7, 2019 1:31 pm

Is there any deadline for requesting original routing credit?

I had a three segment itinerary that got shortened to two segments due to IROPS, but in the process one of my upgraded segments got rebooked in Full J (so more EQM). I think that i will probably re-qualify on segments however instead of miles, but I would hate to come up short at 29 segments at the end of the year. Most of my flights for the rest of the year are probably three segments each way so ending the year at 29 is a possibility. On the other hand I don't want to give back any EQM if I don't have to.

So if come December it looks like I would be at 29 segments would they go back to a flight in july and grant ORC?

AAdamE Aug 7, 2019 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by nitzuga (Post 31382125)
On a recent JFK-SFO flight in Basic Economy, I noticed that I could not only pay to choose a regular seat (for $9 iirc), but also pay for a preferred or MCE seat for significantly more ($70-100). I'm wondering if elite status benefits reduce the cost of choosing those preferred/ MCE seats. For example, if I had Platinum status, would the preferred and MCE seats also have shown up as costing $9?

I have mixed luck flying as gold on BE. Gate agents will not give you MCE for free like you can with regular economy, you also cannot fly standby for free or even pay the fee if you want to. In the beginning I used to have some luck at the admirals club asking to move to MCE, but I believe the last time they told me their system no longer allows them to.