FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

JJeffrey Dec 18, 19 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by spike74 (Post 31853650)
I booked a nonstop flight from JFK-CUN on 1-30-20 and a return on 2-3-20 and paid for the flights. I realized I wanted to use points instead. Is there a simple way to convert the existing reservation to one using points or do I have to book a new reservation and cancel the one I paid for?

Also looks like the same flights will cost me 130,000 points which seems extraordinarily steep. Any way to lower this?

130k miles for a JFK-CUN roundtrip is a horrible deal, especially if you're outside of 24 hrs and will most likely not be able to get a refund and have to pay change fees, etc., on top of the 130k miles.

Point being, I hope there's a very good reason behind wanting to do what you're proposing to do, because on the surface it doesn't make much sense...

nexusCFX Dec 19, 19 9:35 am

I have an AA partner award on JAL which is my first time using AA miles. I am not seeing any way online to make changes to the reservation. I will likely be doing a date change at some point. Does this have to be done by calling in? That's such a ludicrous notion that I'm sure I must be missing something.

Mwenenzi Dec 19, 19 11:03 am

Originally Posted by nexusCFX (Post 31856789)
I have an AA partner award on JAL which is my first time using AA miles. I am not seeing any way online to make changes to the reservation. I will likely be doing a date change at some point. Does this have to be done by calling in? That's such a ludicrous notion that I'm sure I must be missing something.

You will need JL award availability on the flight you want to change to
JL---> AAdvantage Award using JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

guv1976 Dec 19, 19 11:16 am

Originally Posted by nexusCFX (Post 31856789)

Changes to an award reservation do require a call to AA.

Jerseyguy Dec 19, 19 2:03 pm

Is the A320 getting the Oasis treatment?

Flying PHL to MCO in February and they changed my plane to MCO into an A320 from a 738. My return flight to Philly appears to have been Oasised (A321) and they changed my seat. I can switch to an A320 on the return as well as it's a award ticket with availability. If I'm going to be Oasis free by doing that I will.

wiivile Dec 19, 19 2:40 pm

do you have to be AA Gold at the time of check-in or at the time of departure to be eligible for things like preferred seating or MCE? my flight is 12/31, my status expires 12/30....

joe_miami Dec 19, 19 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile (Post 31857953)
do you have to be AA Gold at the time of check-in or at the time of departure to be eligible for things like preferred seating or MCE? my flight is 12/31, my status expires 12/30....

Select the seats before 12/30 and they'll probably stick, but no guarantees, esp. if there are any changes (aircraft swap, etc.).

JDiver Dec 19, 19 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseyguy (Post 31857845)
Flying PHL to MCO in February and they changed my plane to MCO into an A320 from a 738. My return flight to Philly appears to have been Oasised (A321) and they changed my seat. I can switch to an A320 on the return as well as it's a award ticket with availability. If I'm going to be Oasis free by doing that I will.

Oasis is coming to most of the narrow body fleet, essentially. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...2019-21-a.html

diburning Dec 20, 19 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Jerseyguy (Post 31857845)

The A320s have not been Oasis'ed and probably won't be given their age (oldest one is 22 years old, with the newest one just shy of 10 years old)

robinsondg Dec 20, 19 8:14 am

My wife is flying on an award ticket this weekend. She has miles that are set to expire in the early part of 2020. Will the award activity "reactivate" those miles?

Should clarify that the ticket was made using miles from my account, not hers

ZBigFam Dec 20, 19 8:43 am

Does AA have same day flight change like United does for elites? I found this to be so useful as a United elite.

guv1976 Dec 20, 19 9:28 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 31860330)
Does AA have same day flight change like United does for elites? I found this to be so useful as a United elite.

Rules on AA same-day confirmed change and same-day standby here:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp

joe_miami Dec 20, 19 9:50 am

Originally Posted by robinsondg (Post 31860233)
My wife is flying on an award ticket this weekend. She has miles that are set to expire in the early part of 2020. Will the award activity "reactivate" those miles?

Doubtful, since there won’t be any activity in her acct.

guv1976 Dec 20, 19 10:03 am

Originally Posted by robinsondg (Post 31860233)

Nope: flying is not an award activity. Redeeming miles from her account for an award ticket is award activity, as is earning miles by flying on a cash ticket.

There are lots of relatively inexpensive ways for her to extend the expiration date of her miles, including redeeming miles for a magazine subscription, making a small purchase from the AA shopping portal, signing up for AAdvantage Dining and having a meal at a participating restaurant, etc., etc.

ZBigFam Dec 20, 19 10:52 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 31860469)
Rules on AA same-day confirmed change and same-day standby here:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp

Thanks sorry I had trouble finding it.