FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

muji Aug 30, 19 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31475534)
First thing is to look where AA flys to in Eu from NYC.
EWR is not in the list of airports AA fly from to Eu. Look at JFK & PHL

Thank you, Mwenenzi, for the links and advice.

I have been continuing trying all sorts of dates and cities, but for the most part only BA flights show up.

I found a few Finnair flights, but they went from EWR to LAX, then on to Europe.

From JFK, I get only BA flights, not AA.

From Philadelphia, the AA flights which I found all went a long route - usually to St. Louis or DFW, then on to Europe.

I am open to going to pretty much anywhere in Europe, one way in business, in roughly mid-March, from EWR or JFK (or maybe even PHL if there is something available). Is there anything else I can or should try?

Thanks again; I'm spending time on this and trying my best, but am not having success.

JMBResona Aug 31, 19 1:21 am

Hi,

I recently completed a status challenge to Exec Plat, but the flights that fulfilled the EQM requirement were on the last day of the challenge.

So naturally until those flights (majority of which were partner flights) posted I was back to being a general member. I had a flight a few days after the status challenge expired, and while I was able to avoid any baggage fees by mentioning I held higher status when I booked the flight, I now see that the miles for that flight posted as if I was a general member.

It wouldn't make too much of a difference so I'm not overly concerned, but I was curious--since AA knows that I had technically flown enough at that point to retain Executive Platinum under their terms, would they repost the miles with the elite bonus?

JJeffrey Aug 31, 19 5:21 am

Originally Posted by muji (Post 31475718)
From JFK, I get only BA flights, not AA.

From Philadelphia, the AA flights which I found all went a long route - usually to St. Louis or DFW, then on to Europe.

I am open to going to pretty much anywhere in Europe, one way in business, in roughly mid-March, from EWR or JFK (or maybe even PHL if there is something available). Is there anything else I can or should try?

Thanks again; I'm spending time on this and trying my best, but am not having success.

There are a ton of options available.

When you go to aa.com, make sure you are using the advanced search, and at the bottom under airline filter your results to show American Airlines, not All Airlines. This will remove all of the BA clutter.

Doing that, you can then see the nice calendar of available options, which shows plenty.

For example, in March I see lots of dates with NYC-CLT-MUC available, NYC-CLT-LHR, NYC-PHL-ZRH, NYC-PHL-AMS, just to name a few. Using AA miles, it doesn't get to look any better than that.

The.walker Aug 31, 19 11:04 am

I did spend sometime at DFW (Flagship lounge) and I've gotta admit, it was so pathetic. QR lounge in Doha spoiled it for me. It was like comparing a five star hotel to motel 6.

AsiaTravel2019 Aug 31, 19 11:06 am

UA vs AA?

Hello AA fans,

I am a currently United/Star Alliance frequent flier, Premier 1K and all.

It doesn't look like I am going to get to renew that status for next year, so I am thinking of jumping ship for AA. I fly to Southeast Asia a lot.

I know this is subjective, but has anyone made a similar jump? Did you find things were better?

Thanks!

flyingeph12 Aug 31, 19 11:18 am

Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019 (Post 31476969)
Hello AA fans,

It doesn't look like I am going to get to renew that status for next year, so I am thinking of jumping ship for AA. I fly to Southeast Asia a lot.

I know this is subjective, but has anyone made a similar jump? Did you find things were better?

Thanks!

I have not done a switch from UA to AA, but if you are thinking of using CX for flights to Southeast Asia, be aware that most CX Y fare classes do not earn anything with AAdvantage. (Of course, if you book as an AA codeshare you would earn as if it were an AA flight, but those can sometimes be more expensive.)

AsiaTravel2019 Aug 31, 19 11:22 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 31477008)
I have not done a switch from UA to AA, but if you are thinking of using CX for flights to Southeast Asia, be aware that most CX Y fare classes do not earn anything with AAdvantage. (Of course, if you book as an AA codeshare you would earn as if it were an AA flight, but those can sometimes be more expensive.)

Good to know about CX. Thanks for responding.

Question: if you fly QR or JL directly in J, what does that earning look like on AAdvantage compared to AA metal?

JDiver Aug 31, 19 11:27 am

Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019 (Post 31477013)

Question: if you fly QR or JL directly in J, what does that earning look like on AAdvantage compared to AA metal?

Generally, more EQD, 2.0 EQM per flown mile on JL discounted J or F fares and 3.0 for full F and J (same as AA), 1.5 EQM per flown mile in Business or First on CX. See earnings charts for all partner airlines at https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp

flyingeph12 Aug 31, 19 11:38 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 31477032)
Generally, more EQD, 2.0 EQM per flown mile on JL discounted J or F fares and 3.0 for full F and J (same as AA), 1.5 EQM per flown mile in Business or First on CX. See earnings charts for all partner airlines at https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp

With JL J, you have to be somewhat careful with I fares since they earn only 14% EQDs (although still 2.0x EQMs). QR J earns 1.5x EQM and between 20-25% EQD depending on the fare class.

AsiaTravel2019 Aug 31, 19 11:58 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 31477051)
With JL J, you have to be somewhat careful with I fares since they earn only 14% EQDs (although still 2.0x EQMs). QR J earns 1.5x EQM and between 20-25% EQD depending on the fare class.

This is already better than UA. If I fly with *A partners, I get no qualifying dollars toward status. And that is sad, because I'd rather fly 5-star airlines like NH and BR to Asia in total luxury for the same or less cost than UA.

muji Aug 31, 19 11:59 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31476153)
When you go to aa.com, make sure you are using the advanced search, and at the bottom under airline filter your results to show American Airlines, not All Airlines. This will remove all of the BA clutter.

Thank you JJeffrey for the help.

Selecting "partner airlines' from the search helped, eliminating BA results.

I could not find anything saying "Advanced Search"; but I did notice this: "Try our new award booking search". Choosing that, I ended up getting pretty much the same award options, but BA was now included.

Through the regular (non-advanced) search, I found only a few that would be good options:
EWR - CLT - MUC
LGA - PHL - ZRH
LGA - PHL - LHR

These options which came up would be too lengthy:
EWR - CLT - PHL - ZRH
EWR - CLT - PHL - AMS
EWR - ORD - PHL - AMS
EWR - ORD - DFW- FRA
EWR - CLT - DFW- FRA
LGA - STL - DFW- FRA
JFK - AUS - DFW- FRA

I appreciate your help.
In the end, I did not find as many good options as you did.
If you can, please send me any other tips you may have.

JMBResona Aug 31, 19 1:23 pm

Hello AA fans,

Thanks!

I just made the jump.
Flying internationally, being a Oneworld Emerald is miles ahead of being a mere Star Alliance Gold. This alone sold the switch to me.

So overall I think it was a better move, but some things I miss about UA:
  • Booking awards with certain partners through AA is a PITA, unlike UA who'll display most partner awards online
  • SWUs can't be used on partner flights, unlike GPUs on LH/NH
  • UA is much more lax with their same-day change policy
Although that being said, with regards to PQD earning with partners on UA, you can definitely earn PQD on partner metal so long as it's an 016 ticket, in my experience.

AsiaTravel2019 Aug 31, 19 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by JMBResona (Post 31477303)
Although that being said, with regards to PQD earning with partners on UA, you can definitely earn PQD on partner metal so long as it's an 016 ticket, in my experience.

Yes, and I frequently do, but the main segment has to be UA metal to get the PQD on the whole thing.

Mwenenzi Aug 31, 19 10:39 pm

I know this is subjective, but has anyone made a similar jump?
Did you find things were better?

What is your criteria for better? Depends a lot on departure / destination airports.
You will not get free upgrades. Or cross airline upgrades
Flying Qatar QR mean going the long way
JL & CX are OW Asian airlines in that region. China Southern is an AA ff partner.
AA flys to some Asian airports

JMBResona Aug 31, 19 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019 (Post 31478238)
Yes, and I frequently do, but the main segment has to be UA metal to get the PQD on the whole thing.

This is ultimately off topic..

But while of course it's dependent on route/carrier but it's not rare to see purely partner metal itinerary (albeit with part of it with UA flight numbers) bookable on united.com, which would grant PQD.

Regardless I still stand by my original point that I haven't regretted the switch from 1K to Executive Platinum.