FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

nycflyer17 Apr 15, 2019 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31003872)
It should have been $150 for the first ticket plus $25 for any subsequent tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time. So assuming the miles for both tickets came from your account you were definitely overcharged. Just call AA back and tell them you were erroneously charged the full $150 twice and ask them to refund part of it.

They finally performed their call back (about 6 hours after I initially called them) and I raised this very issue. They said because I hadn't cancelled the reservation and booked a new one, but instead made changes to each ticket (same record locator), I was charged 2x $150 fees. I can't find something on the Aadvantage site that indicates this distinction, but the gentleman I spoke with was clear. Not much I could do. I may try again later.

And yes, this is all one account.

EDIT: The reservation is technically 2x tickets, and I have a layover in between now. It occurs to me they may mean $150 for each leg? But then I might have been charged $150+$25x2? No idea. It went from BNE-HKG-JFK all in one day (obviously time zones make this possible) to an overnight flight from ADL-HKG, then 2 days in HKG followed by a flight to EWR. I figured I'd book the a350 route instead of JFK (777) since I was already incurring charges.

All things considered getting a layover in HK made it worth it to me, but still confused about what exactly I was charged.

JJeffrey Apr 15, 2019 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by smoaky (Post 31003938)
They finally performed their call back (about 6 hours after I initially called them) and I raised this very issue. They said because I hadn't cancelled the reservation and booked a new one, but instead made changes to each ticket (same record locator), I was charged 2x $150 fees. I can't find something on the Aadvantage site that indicates this distinction, but the gentleman I spoke with was clear. Not much I could do. I may try again later.

That is nonsense, especially since it was a simple change to 2 pax on the same PNR with miles all coming from the same account, it should have only been $150 + $25. The $150 fee is the same and it doesn't matter whether you flat out cancel and redeposit or make changes to an award that trigger the fee. The guy might have been clear but he was just making something up to cover the tracks of whatever agent made the mistake originally.

nycflyer17 Apr 15, 2019 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31003955)
That is nonsense, especially since it was a simple change to 2 pax on the same PNR with miles all coming from the same account, it should have only been $150 + $25. The $150 fee is the same and it doesn't matter whether you flat out cancel and redeposit or make changes to an award that trigger the fee. The guy might have been clear but he was just making something up to cover the tracks of whatever agent made the mistake originally.

The guy I initially spoke with said that I appeared to have been overcharged but then forwarded my call to the guy who said the above. Unless my edit (see above) changes anything, I'll try again tomorrow maybe. Too much time on the phone with AA today -- seems like there are a lot of cancelled flights or something.

Thanks for the info/letting me know I'm not going nuts!

JJeffrey Apr 15, 2019 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by smoaky (Post 31003996)
The guy I initially spoke with said that I appeared to have been overcharged but then forwarded my call to the guy who said the above. Unless my edit (see above) changes anything, I'll try again tomorrow maybe. Too much time on the phone with AA today -- seems like there are a lot of cancelled flights or something.

Thanks for the info/letting me know I'm not going nuts!

Yea, it shouldn't change anything. You switched BNE-HKG-JFK to ADL-HKG-EWR. These were always separate awards so the fact that you added 2 days in HKG doesn't matter. With regards to the fee, AA doesn't make any distinctions between cancelling and redepositing vs. changing an existing ticket. Try again tomorrow.

nycflyer17 Apr 15, 2019 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31004075)
Yea, it shouldn't change anything. You switched BNE-HKG-JFK to ADL-HKG-EWR. These were always separate awards so the fact that you added 2 days in HKG doesn't matter. With regards to the fee, AA doesn't make any distinctions between cancelling and redepositing vs. changing an existing ticket. Try again tomorrow.

Thanks, I'll try them tomorrow. Not about to hand over $125 for no reason!

AmySRQ Apr 15, 2019 6:02 pm

Upgrading to PE on AA award flights booked through BA

I am considering booking award flights via BA on AA. Last year, we booked the same award flights on AA directly and took the option to upgrade to PE for cash. Will AA give me to option to upgrade for cash on a flight booked with Avios?

wiivile Apr 16, 2019 9:22 pm

any way to redeem miles for Premium Economy on BA?

JDiver Apr 16, 2019 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile (Post 31008687)
any way to redeem miles for Premium Economy on BA?

At this time AAdvantage miles may only be used for Premium Economy Award Travel on AA.

AmySRQ Apr 17, 2019 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 31009022)
At this time AAdvantage miles may only be used for Premium Economy Award Travel on AA.

JDiver, do you know whether I can upgrade to Prem Econ for cash if I book regular economy using Avios? TIA

JDiver Apr 17, 2019 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by AmySRQ (Post 31012413)
JDiver, do you know whether I can upgrade to Prem Econ for cash if I book regular economy using Avios? TIA

I don’t know. Load Factor Based Upgrades might be offered at check in, at the counter or at the kiosks. I’m not aware of how an Avios ticket might impact that. Ask, for sure.

AmySRQ Apr 18, 2019 5:21 am

Thank you, JDiver.

renila Apr 18, 2019 2:47 pm

AA.com will only show me flexible tickets, not advance purchase. Is this a known current issue or is it my bug?

I've tried iPad/Safari plus Macbook Pro/Firefox AND Chrome.

Have selected lowest fares, gone back and forth. Everything.

JDiver Apr 18, 2019 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by renila (Post 31015045)
AA.com will only show me flexible tickets, not advance purchase. Is this a known current issue or is it my bug?

I've tried iPad/Safari plus Macbook Pro/Firefox AND Chrome.
:D
Have selected lowest fares, gone back and forth. Everything.

For when and where? If the lower fares are sold out, the higher ones are all you’ll see.

VistaFlyer Apr 18, 2019 5:29 pm

Heya folks,
Maybe this should be a separate thread, but noob gonna noob:

Do we know if AA is currently allowing Elite Status Challenge offers if you cold call them and ask? I have seen reference elsewhere in thepast, but nothing from the last month or two...

I did perform a search and could not locate a recent post or thread about cold calling for AAdvantage status challenges, although there are many posts about status challenge invites.

Thanks.

JDiver Apr 18, 2019 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by VistaFlyer (Post 31015466)
Heya folks,
Maybe this should be a separate thread, but noob gonna noob:

Do we know if AA is currently allowing Elite Status Challenge offers if you cold call them and ask? I have seen reference elsewhere in thepast, but nothing from the last month or two...

I did perform a search and could not locate a recent post or thread about cold calling for AAdvantage status challenges, although there are many posts about status challenge invites.

Thanks.

Nothing has changed from what was established in 2017.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ge-2017-a.html