FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

ErininOC Apr 10, 2019 8:47 am

AA Exec Platinum - Flying on AA Metal under BA Code Share

Hi all! Relatively new EP on AA based on mostly domestic flights. I am looking at international trip for fall - both flights are on AA metal but BA ticket via the code share on the same flight is almost 500 less (2500 vs 3000). Will I be able to use miles/cash to request an upgrade on the international leg and get my complimentary upgrade on the domestic if I book through BA? I am not worried about lounge access as I will get that either way, wondering if I can get the paid upgrade to business from PE. Any insight would be great!

gateH15 Apr 10, 2019 10:19 am

Originally Posted by ErininOC (Post 30985364)
Hi all! Relatively new EP on AA based on mostly domestic flights. I am looking at international trip for fall - both flights are on AA metal but BA ticket via the code share on the same flight is almost 500 less (2500 vs 3000). Will I be able to use miles/cash to request an upgrade on the international leg and get my complimentary upgrade on the domestic if I book through BA? I am not worried about lounge access as I will get that either way, wondering if I can get the paid upgrade to business from PE. Any insight would be great!

in order to use miles plus copay upgrade your flight has to be marketed and operated by AA.

Anns76 Apr 10, 2019 12:40 pm

If I bought a PE ticket from AA I have an AA flight number but my flight is on BA metal. If I decide to buy an upgrade at the airport at check in (if it is available) will I credit toward my EQD? How would that work because I purchased my ticket through AA but if I pay $800 for an upgrade I want credit for it on my account. Thanks in advance.

gateH15 Apr 10, 2019 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Anns76 (Post 30986154)
If I bought a PE ticket from AA I have an AA flight number but my flight is on BA metal. If I decide to buy an upgrade at the airport at check in (if it is available) will I credit toward my EQD? How would that work because I purchased my ticket through AA but if I pay $800 for an upgrade I want credit for it on my account. Thanks in advance.

I don’t think cash upgrade atvtve airport ever counts towards EQD. I upgraded a couple of times last year and it did not count towards it. Upfare is a different story tho

JJeffrey Apr 10, 2019 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Anns76 (Post 30986154)

Day of departure, buy-up upgrades at check-in, kiosk, gate, etc. do not count towards your EQD. Additionally you will earn miles based on your original PE class of service.

The only way to get the EQD is to do an upfare before the flight, whereby which you pay the fare difference between PE and business. In doing this your ticket would be fully reissued in business class, you would earn full EQD for the extra spend, and whatever extra EQM/RDM come with the fare increase and business booking code. Of course the downside is that an upfare is typically way more expensive than any day of departure upgrades offered, but you never know.

TBRIC Apr 10, 2019 6:31 pm

How Best to Use Miles/Points

First of all, apologies for lurking and enjoying for several years and not contributing. Inexcusable. I earn EXP by segments and have a lot of stories to tell. I will do better. Looking towards retirement in 1 to 1 1/2 years. This is my 4th year as EXP, and will qualify again in 2019. Mrs and I are thinking about how best to use 1 mil AAdvantage miles plus about 300K each Delta and United and 1.5 mil Bonvoy points. I have been doing some dummy bookings and it seems like the most saver availability opens within 2 weeks to a month. Seems tougher the farther out you look. We would be looking for business/first. My thought is just heading out on an adventure wherever saver awards are available until we run out of points. When retired we will have 100% flexibility. Have the normal bucket list; Bora Bora and Maldives, Al Maha, etc. Would appreciate any advice as how best to maximize these resources.

Mwenenzi Apr 10, 2019 7:41 pm

TBRIC Welcome to FT (& upcoming retirement)

Originally Posted by TBRIC (Post 30987195)
First of all, apologies for lurking and enjoying for several years and not contributing. Inexcusable. I earn EXP by segments and have a lot of stories to tell. I will do better. Looking towards retirement in 1 to 1 1/2 years. This is my 4th year as EXP, and will qualify again in 2019.

Mrs and I are thinking about how best to use 1 mil AAdvantage miles plus about 300K each Delta and United and 1.5 mil Bonvoy points.

I have been doing some dummy bookings and it seems like the most saver availability opens within 2 weeks to a month. Seems tougher the farther out you look. We would be looking for business/first. My thought is just heading out on an adventure wherever saver awards are available until we run out of points. When retired we will have 100% flexibility.

Have the normal bucket list; Bora Bora and Maldives, Al Maha, etc. Would appreciate any advice as how best to maximize these resources.

Those can be tough award destinations in first/business class. Will take some research & perseverance.
Freq flyer awards start be become available 330/353 days out (depending in ffp) to much closer to departure. Flexibility is your friend when it comes to awards.

For awards search for threads on those destinations.
Working backwards from the destination airport can give a feel of possible airlines/routes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velana...tional_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faa%27...tional_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubai_...tional_Airport

For AA
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)

UA & DL subforums may have similar master threads (but better organised on AA forum)

Good luck ^

TBRIC Apr 11, 2019 4:03 am

Great advice, especially about working backward from destination. Thanks for the reply.

Mwenenzi Apr 11, 2019 4:16 am

Originally Posted by TBRIC (Post 30988231)
Great advice, especially about working backward from destination. Thanks for the reply.

There will be threads on awards for Bora Bora(PPT) and Maldives(MLE) & Al Maha
Awardhacker can give a guide-->https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=LAX&t...=0&c=j&s=1&p=0

Shadowfactor Apr 12, 2019 7:30 am

Flying to LAX on monday morning.
My fiancee decided she wanted to come with this trip but paid first is full-fare and very expensive, So she had to buy main cabin tickets. I'm already in paid F.
Separate PNR's. I've called AA to link them but they won't as its not the same class of travel. Is there anyway to get her on the upgrade list before or at airport ? I planned on sponsoring her with 500 mileage stickers.

wrp96 Apr 12, 2019 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor (Post 30992284)
Flying to LAX on monday morning.
My fiancee decided she wanted to come with this trip but paid first is full-fare and very expensive, So she had to buy main cabin tickets. I'm already in paid F.
Separate PNR's. I've called AA to link them but they won't as its not the same class of travel. Is there anyway to get her on the upgrade list before or at airport ? I planned on sponsoring her with 500 mileage stickers.

Call back and ask to have her put on the upgrade list. You don't have to link the bookings. I do this frequently as I always book first and then just use my stickers for my friends.

Shadowfactor Apr 12, 2019 12:47 pm

If I do Same Day Stand by to cut 2 hours off my flight. Will I still be in first (paid) class or is it any available seat ?

Theres a couple different options. Confirmed $0 with flight times that don't work for me
or there's this Stand-By $0

MathMusic Apr 12, 2019 1:04 pm

Standby is any available seat, and a 95% percent guarantee that the new seat won't be in first. Usually the upgrade list is processed before the standby list.

Shadowfactor Apr 12, 2019 1:07 pm

Will they give me a choice before placing me in economy on the earlier flight ?

i’d rather fly first then save 40 minutes

MathMusic Apr 12, 2019 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor (Post 30993622)
Will they give me a choice before placing me in economy on the earlier flight ?

i’d rather fly first then save 40 minutes

You would have to double check with the Gate agent, if the time you would save is 40 minutes, its not worth the risk to me. There is a good chance that the last available seat could be last row middle seat, etc. If you see a confirmed change to first become available though keep an eye for that.