Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by audiodave1
I cannot find a PE fare less than $6k so suck it up on AA metal it looks like to and take their 380 to DFW back.
Is the trip this Saturday or in the future?
The A380 to DFW is QF. It may have an AA codeshare. [Not sure what you mean by "AA metal....... their 380"]
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
This saturday. AA PHL-LAX then QF from LAX-MEL-SYD
Returning AA SYD-LAX-CLT-PHL
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
There are 20 500 mile upgrades showing up in my account. I am only a member, I have no status. I think they are left over from about a year ago when AA gave me free status for a few months. Anyway, can I use them? Give therm away? I am really puzzled by this, I just noticed they are still on my account. Any easy way to get Gold status such as credit card sign up or something so I can use them that way? Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by thebat
There are 20 500 mile upgrades showing up in my account. I am only a member, I have no status. I think they are left over from about a year ago when AA gave me free status for a few months. Anyway, can I use them? Give therm away? I am really puzzled by this, I just noticed they are still on my account. Any easy way to get Gold status such as credit card sign up or something so I can use them that way? Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Yea, AA frequently offers status promos to get GLD or PLT status and throws in ~20 upgrades like this as a bonus. The good news is they never expire, so you can use them if you ever gain elite status with AA again. The bad news is there is really no way to use them unless you gain status on AA. While most of the AA credit cards give you some form of free bag(s) and preferential boarding, none actually give you status that I'm aware of. If you think you're going to be flying AA more you could always sign up for a challenge to gain status quicker, but other than that there's no real predictable shortcut.
JDiver and thebat like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yea, AA frequently offers status promos to get GLD or PLT status and throws in ~20 upgrades like this as a bonus. The good news is they never expire, so you can use them if you ever gain elite status with AA again. The bad news is there is really no way to use them unless you gain status on AA. While most of the AA credit cards give you some form of free bag(s) and preferential boarding, none actually give you status that I'm aware of. If you think you're going to be flying AA more you could always sign up for a challenge to gain status quicker, but other than that there's no real predictable shortcut.
Thanks for the prompt, informative reply. I guess I'll just let them sit there. I really only fly AA once or twice a year so I don't foresee getting any status soon.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
I missed my EQD for GLD by $300 and their offer of $800 is not something I would ever do. Should reach GLD this year no problem, my question is, would I get stickers upon receiving GLD, or would I only accumulate them based on EQM after having GLD?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by AAdamE
I missed my EQD for GLD by $300 and their offer of $800 is not something I would ever do. Should reach GLD this year no problem, my question is, would I get stickers upon receiving GLD, or would I only accumulate them based on EQM after having GLD?
You don’t start earning until you achieve Gold.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: BA
i'm sitting in the jfk flagship lounge wondering... i can't get into flagship first dining because i'm flying in J on JFK-GIG (there is no F), right? and even though i'm flying F back GRU-JFK, there is no flagship first dining at GRU? So if I wanted to access flagship first dining I'd need to have flown JFK-GRU in F, right? (no status)
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile
i'm sitting in the jfk flagship lounge wondering... i can't get into flagship first dining because i'm flying in J on JFK-GIG (there is no F), right? and even though i'm flying F back GRU-JFK, there is no flagship first dining at GRU? So if I wanted to access flagship first dining I'd need to have flown JFK-GRU in F, right? (no status)
No. You must be flying in (three class) Flagship First on a qualifying flight.

Guide to AA Flagship First Dining Qualifications, Access & Related

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2019-a.html

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 15, 2019 at 8:33 pm Reason: Clarify question being replied to
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by JDiver
No. You must be flying in (three class) Flagship First on a qualifying flight.

Guide to AA Flagship First Dining Qualifications, Access & Related

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2019-a.html
wait, so why wouldn't JFK-GRU in F qualify? I know JFK-GIG doesn't because there is only J not F.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Maybe way too late for OP, here is a link:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...rst-dining.jsp
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:32 pm

wait, so why wouldn't JFK-GRU in F qualify? I know JFK-GIG doesn't because there is only J not F.
I never said that. I responded to the question of JFK-GIG in J and gave the referral link to FFD access rules thread.

JFK-GRU in Flagship First would qualify, as would arriving JFK from Brasil if the passenger has airside access after USCBP formalities (departing onward).

**Access to Flagship First Dining is granted at both the departure airport and the arrival airport, subject to availability (e.g. SFO has no Flagship First Dining) and operating hours (confirmed by multiple FTers from experience, and in conversation with Flagship Lounge agents and Admirals Club Customer Service).
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
You don’t start earning until you achieve Gold.
I was under the impression that if you did not hold status with AA previously, that upon achieving gold that you would earn 8 500 mile stickers for flying 25K EQM.

Is this not accurate ?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:39 am

FCO to LHR

Hi
Im flying from FCO to LHR on BA in July. I’m flying on the last flight and land around 10pm. Now I lived in in London 20 years ago for a year, but now I’m traveling with a 10 year old. My question is is it safe to take the Heathrow express then catch a cab at Paddington that late with a child or should I take a cab to my hotel from the airport?
Thanks!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: CathayPacific, Lufthansa, AA, United
Delayed bag - Feb 9 - Got them on Feb 14

Hello fellow travelers,

I am AAdvantage member and I traveled via American Airlines BLR-LHR-JFK-SFO .. first leg BLR-LHR was code share with British Airways. Journey started on Feb 9 early morning. While checking in, they asked if I can check in Carry on bag also free of charge. I obliged. When we were about to board, we got a message of delay of 30 mins. Later when we were about to land in LHR, they announced that some of our bags are still in BLR. I never had a delayed baggage in past 10 years of travel. So, I didn't carry any additional clothing in my laptop bag. I landed in SFO and finally filed a complaint in wee hours of Feb 10. They still didn't have clue of all my bags.

I had some cash. So, I didn't ask for compensation in SFO. By the time I had done there, I missed my window for supershuttle and I had to wait for 3 hours to get next one. Later that day, I had to buy clothes for my investor meetings on Monday. I billed $113.57.

After several discussion on twitter with AA and BA as both were saying, we have not received update from other airlines, and me mediating messages between them, got all my 3 bags on Feb 14th afternoon. The last bag i got had my clothes and others were food and gifts. 6 days of wait to wear proper clothes.

How to go about claiming and what I can expect? I think my bags traveled various sectors, multiple legs and various airports than me in this trip

Last edited by pooran; Feb 16, 2019 at 9:57 am Reason: edits

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.