Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by RealityBites
I have OW Ruby status and will by flying JFK-ORD in domestic First on AA from T8 in late April, and wife is flying JFK-HKG on Cathy Pacific in Business Class from T8 earlier on the same day..... but I will have a wait of several hours before my domestic flight departs.

I know that a AA Domestic First ticket does not given me unpaid access to the Admirals’s Club lounge, but I was hoping that I could buy a Day Pass. However, I have heard that Day Passes may not be available at the T8 Admiral’s Club.

So, is his the case? If so, are there any other paid lounges in T8 I could pay for access to?

JFK is not on the current list of clubs that do not allow entrance with a day pass. Perhaps if there is an overcrowding situation, you might be refused access. https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...lub-access.jsp

Unfortunately, there are no other proper lounge options at Terminal 8 that would be available if you cannot purchase a day pass. There is a Bobby Van's steakhouse that participates in Priority Pass.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Bit of a newbie on AA here, but just checked in for AA flight to US - partner has her boarding passes ok but for me it says report to an agent at check in - any idea why or reason to worry?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
Bit of a newbie on AA here, but just checked in for AA flight to US - partner has her boarding passes ok but for me it says report to an agent at check in - any idea why or reason to worry?
No reason to worry, happens all the time. I'd say that when flying to the US I find online check-in works maybe 25% of the time, typically need additional doc verification, etc. Just get to the airport a few mins early and check in with an agent.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:29 am

Ok thanks, we are already away from home but managed to get through to AA reservations who said something similar, but thanks for the response.

Last edited by vintagepilot; Feb 18, 2019 at 8:59 am
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: Watergate
Are ticket change fees per ticket? I'm looking at changing the origin/return airport on a roundtrip ticket for myself and my partner.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: HH Diamond - Marriott Titanium- AA EP
Booked award ticket using AA miles to BKK....75K miles down to 67,500 after booking?

Hi all,

I used 75k AA miles to book a RT award trip from LAX to BKK. LAX-NRT-BKK and BKK-NRT-LAX operated by JL. After reviewing my activity, do you know what the 7,500 miles promo credit is for? Not complaining but want to know why it took off 10% of required miles to book.

Thoughts?
Attached Images  
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by A651346
Hi all,

I used 75k AA miles to book a RT award trip from LAX to BKK. LAX-NRT-BKK and BKK-NRT-LAX operated by JL. After reviewing my activity, do you know what the 7,500 miles promo credit is for? Not complaining but want to know why it took off 10% of required miles to book.

Thoughts?
Do you hold a qualifying Barclays or Citi AA credit card? If so, you get a 10% rebate on AAdvantage redemptions -- subject to a maximum of 10,000 rebated miles per calendar year.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond - Marriott Titanium- AA EP
Originally Posted by guv1976
Do you hold a qualifying Barclays or Citi AA credit card? If so, you get a 10% rebate on AAdvantage redemptions -- subject to a maximum of 10,000 rebated miles per calendar year.
Ahh yes that's it!!!

Thank you for the quick reply!
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:51 pm

I’m booked on a paid round trip business class ticket GDL-DFW-LHR in August with just a 2 hour window in Dallas which makes me a bit nervous with the possibility of the GDL-DFW flight being delayed.

I called to change the first flight to one 2 hours earlier to be on the safe side and was told they can do it but it would cost 38,000 + pesos (over $1900.00 USD.). Any way to get around this or is a schedule change on their part my only hope? Thanks in advance. I can understand having to pay a couple hundred but almost $2,000.00? They’ve had my money since November.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Gringa
I’m booked on a paid round trip business class ticket GDL-DFW-LHR in August with just a 2 hour window in Dallas which makes me a bit nervous with the possibility of the GDL-DFW flight being delayed.

I called to change the first flight to one 2 hours earlier to be on the safe side and was told they can do it but it would cost 38,000 + pesos (over $1900.00 USD.). Any way to get around this or is a schedule change on their part my only hope? Thanks in advance. I can understand having to pay a couple hundred but almost $2,000.00? They’ve had my money since November.
As you arrive internationally, I understand your concerns. And there’s no international standby or same day flight change possible on your GDL-DFW route. You can hope for a significant schedule change, you can even call again to see what’s possible because you could get a more sympathetic agent or fare buckets could change, but I wouldn’t put much hope into either.

One thing you can possibly do is to have your baggage checked through to LHR, because DFW (and MIA) offers “ITI” international to international baggage tagging and handling for approved international destinations. You might have to educate GDL staff about that, and we can hope they have the tags and knowledge of how to use them. At least that means you’d have to pass through immigration (even better if you have Global Entry / Nexus and could use the hand baggage only immigration channel prior to full immigration), and go back airside to your departure gate. The SkyLink train airside is super efficient.

Q. If I am making an international to international connection, what is the process?

There is no international transit process in most U.S.A. airports, but (DFW and MIA have a ITI baggage exception for international to international if arriving from some "approved" international origins). Arriving internationally, unless you have been pre-cleared or are excused by meeting ITI requirements as described here, you must proceed through U. S. immigration (there are kiosks and a fast channel for Global Entry approved passengers, and a "green line" for those with no checked bags), recover your baggage from the baggage carousel and proceed through U. S. Customs. There is a "green line" shortcut for passengers traveling only with carry-on baggage (no checked luggage) and there are Global Entry kiosks and a short cut to Global Entry queues. AA Guide: DFW / Dallas - Fort Worth International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc
The reason it’s costing so much to make a change is that the cheaper fares that were available in November are gone, at least on the flight you want to change to.

¡Suerte!
Gringa likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:52 pm

Thank you. At least I have Global Entry and on a previous trip my bag was checked through to London so I may try calling Dallas tomorrow and hope for an agent who might give me a break. Otherwise, prayers to the patron saint of schedule changes are in order.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:57 pm

One more question. Would it help to go to the airport in time for the earlier flight (after checking there is space on that flight) and possibly the agent in Guadalajara would let me on that flight? Although the GDL airport isn’t the best to hang around in if I don’t get on that flight.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Gringa
One more question. Would it help to go to the airport in time for the earlier flight (after checking there is space on that flight) and possibly the agent in Guadalajara would let me on that flight? Although the GDL airport isn’t the best to hang around in if I don’t get on that flight.
The common wisdom might say no, but I’d say try it. I’ve had individual agents cut me slack on occasion in similar instances.
NYC Flyer, wrp96 and Gringa like this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by JDiver
The common wisdom might say no, but I’d say try it. I’ve had individual agents cut me slack on occasion in similar instances.
Definitely worth trying, but if you decide (or are forced) to keep your ticketed itinerary, just be proactive in asking AA to protect you on a later DFW-LHR flight on AA or BA if a delay situation starts to develop at GDL (assuming you're not already on the last flight).

The earlier you bring a possible mis-connect to AA's attention, the more likely you are to avoid facing a sold-out J cabin when/if you have to be re-booked due to a mis-connect at DFW.
Gringa likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No reason to worry, happens all the time. I'd say that when flying to the US I find online check-in works maybe 25% of the time, typically need additional doc verification, etc. Just get to the airport a few mins early and check in with an agent.
No snags at check in but turns out I have been selected for security check at the gate - SSSS on my BP.
Which turned out to be a more thorough swabbing of everything half way down the airbridge. Hopefully just random but at least I will know what to expect if it happens again.

Last edited by vintagepilot; Feb 19, 2019 at 2:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.