FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:02 am
JJeffrey
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by thebat
There are 20 500 mile upgrades showing up in my account. I am only a member, I have no status. I think they are left over from about a year ago when AA gave me free status for a few months. Anyway, can I use them? Give therm away? I am really puzzled by this, I just noticed they are still on my account. Any easy way to get Gold status such as credit card sign up or something so I can use them that way? Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Yea, AA frequently offers status promos to get GLD or PLT status and throws in ~20 upgrades like this as a bonus. The good news is they never expire, so you can use them if you ever gain elite status with AA again. The bad news is there is really no way to use them unless you gain status on AA. While most of the AA credit cards give you some form of free bag(s) and preferential boarding, none actually give you status that I'm aware of. If you think you're going to be flying AA more you could always sign up for a challenge to gain status quicker, but other than that there's no real predictable shortcut.