Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by wiivile
Are passengers flying international first or business class using AAdvantage awards considered "non-revenue" passengers for the purposes of eligibility to enter Admirals Clubs? It says that "non-revenue" passengers are not eligible for lounge access.
No, you get access when travelling on award tickets, as long as the paid ticket would have access. Non-revenue passengers in this case means someone travelling standby on an employee pass or buddy pass.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:12 am

I've searched and have read a few threads but I'm still not 100% clear on my question, so here goes..
I'm trying to book award travel to Germany (multi-city with Hamburg and Berlin. The order doesn't matter to me) from DC for mid-April and am not having much luck or maybe just out of luck. I know there are quite a few routes but all seem to be on Oneworld partner flights (BA for this instance) but neither using the booking tool or calling the Platinum 800# seem to find the ones that I see when I search regular fare flights. Is it that only certain flights are allowed to be booked with reward travel? Everything on the site says I should be able to use miles on partner flights but I can't figure out how. At this point, a regular fare on United is a quarter the cost and I can status challenge if I want. TIA
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by soulp
I've searched and have read a few threads but I'm still not 100% clear on my question, so here goes..
I'm trying to book award travel to Germany (multi-city with Hamburg and Berlin. The order doesn't matter to me) from DC for mid-April and am not having much luck or maybe just out of luck. I know there are quite a few routes but all seem to be on Oneworld partner flights (BA for this instance) but neither using the booking tool or calling the Platinum 800# seem to find the ones that I see when I search regular fare flights. Is it that only certain flights are allowed to be booked with reward travel? Everything on the site says I should be able to use miles on partner flights but I can't figure out how. At this point, a regular fare on United is a quarter the cost and I can status challenge if I want. TIA
Welcome to FT. Yes, pretty much lesson #1 in Award Travel 101 is that the availability of flights using points/miles to book will differ greatly from the availability of flights you can book with regular paid fares. Generally speaking, airlines only release seats for awards if they think they will otherwise not be able to sell that seat as a regular paid fare. Take a look at the below thread to get started...

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
MileSAAver awards -- which are all awards which include even one segment on a partner carrier -- are "capacity controlled." The costlier AAnytime awards -- which are only available on all-AA-metal itineraries -- are not.

If you are traveling to or from an airport not served by AA metal, MileSAAver awards are your only option if you want to redeem for just one award from origin to destination.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If mid April equal Easter time that will be hard for award flights.
AA do not fly to Hamburg HAM or Berlin TXL, so you will be steered to BA via LHR
AA Saver awards on BA, if available, will have a high $ carrier surcharge. A saver award on an AA aircraft will not.
Try for an award to anywhere in Germany and then train to Hamburg & Berlin.

AA forum thread--> Where exactly does AA fly to Europe? Which routes have good business seats?

Sample routes:-->Great Circle Mapper
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
Question About Award Change

Yesterday I found a great saver business award NRT-LAX-DFW-ZZZ (required only 60k miles). However, there is a 12 hour layover at LAX, which is obviously less than ideal. I still booked it (7 day hold) to grab the NRT-LAX saver business seat.

I've tried reading up on AA award changes and same day change rules, but I'm still a bit confused, so I'd like the experts to help with my options to eventually reduce that LAX layover time.

First question -- in the weeks leading up to the flight, if an earlier LAX-DFW saver premium seat opens up, can I adjust the LAX-DFW-ZZZ segments forward without there being new available saver business inventory on the NRT-LAX segment? Or does the computer have to revalidate inventory all the way through NRT-LAX-DFW-ZZZ?

Second question -- if I can't adjust the flights before I start travel, and I fly the NRT-LAX leg, does AA allow SDC to the remaining segments while I'm in LAX? I'm a UA flyer and this is allowed and easy to do even on the app, but I can't find whether that's allowed on AA.

Any other ideas or strategies? If it matters, I am AA Gold and the miles are from a general member's account.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:10 am

Free Checked Bags With AA credit cards

I see that both the Citi AAdvantage card and the Aviator Barclaycard offer a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, but do they also allow for a free checked bag on an international basic economy fare? Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simmang
Yesterday I found a great saver business award NRT-LAX-DFW-ZZZ (required only 60k miles). However, there is a 12 hour layover at LAX, which is obviously less than ideal. I still booked it (7 day hold) to grab the NRT-LAX saver business seat.

I've tried reading up on AA award changes and same day change rules, but I'm still a bit confused, so I'd like the experts to help with my options to eventually reduce that LAX layover time.

First question -- in the weeks leading up to the flight, if an earlier LAX-DFW saver premium seat opens up, can I adjust the LAX-DFW-ZZZ segments forward without there being new available saver business inventory on the NRT-LAX segment? Or does the computer have to revalidate inventory all the way through NRT-LAX-DFW-ZZZ?

Second question -- if I can't adjust the flights before I start travel, and I fly the NRT-LAX leg, does AA allow SDC to the remaining segments while I'm in LAX? I'm a UA flyer and this is allowed and easy to do even on the app, but I can't find whether that's allowed on AA.

Any other ideas or strategies? If it matters, I am AA Gold and the miles are from a general member's account.
Generally speaking, yes, if availability opens up on an earlier LAX-DFW-ZZZ option then you can call AA and switch (without affecting your existing NRT-LAX segment).

However, AA has implemented lots of married segment availability as of late which has made this type of change, which used to be easy, a real PITA. Now many agents are required to find availability on the entire route again (which of course won't exist in most instances) before being able to make a change to one or two segments like this. Take a look at the below thread to get an idea of what's going on.

More award availability restricted by married segments / connections
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ShamRockSteady
I see that both the Citi AAdvantage card and the Aviator Barclaycard offer a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, but do they also allow for a free checked bag on an international basic economy fare? Thanks!
Per the terms of the benefit, the cards only provide for the first checked bag on domestic itineraries. Some people have reported that trans-border flights to Canada also qualify, but do not expect to get a free bag on other international flights -- unless you book a fare that includes it.
ShamRockSteady likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I'm looking to fly a party of 3 from CLT to MAD via MIA, and return from BCN to CLT via MIA.

Travelers: me - old; wife - not nearly as old but still over 21; daughter - under driving age.

I want to book my wife and I into premium economy so we can earn miles, and then try to use my Exec Plat or mileage upgrades to get into business.

I'd like to book my daughter into business using her own miles.

If my wife an I don't clear to business, I would put my wife in business and my daughter and I would sit in coach (premium economy is what I'm thinking actually).

What I don't know, is if I can call and book my daughter on a flight or even do it online since she is a minor... < 10.

Looking for suggestions on how to book this mostly, and opinions on other options if there are any.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dingo
I'm looking to fly a party of 3 from CLT to MAD via MIA, and return from BCN to CLT via MIA.

Travelers: me - old; wife - not nearly as old but still over 21; daughter - under driving age.

I want to book my wife and I into premium economy so we can earn miles, and then try to use my Exec Plat or mileage upgrades to get into business.

I'd like to book my daughter into business using her own miles.

If my wife an I don't clear to business, I would put my wife in business and my daughter and I would sit in coach (premium economy is what I'm thinking actually).

What I don't know, is if I can call and book my daughter on a flight or even do it online since she is a minor... < 10.

Looking for suggestions on how to book this mostly, and opinions on other options if there are any.
Couple of random thoughts:

1) Have you checked award availability for your daughter's ticket? Unless you happen to just get really lucky, you're most likely looking at AAnytime awards, i.e. I'd make sure she has enough miles for this plan to work.

2) You will have to call AA to book your daughter's award ticket, so they can notate the PNR that she is not traveling alone.

3) Since initially you and your wife will be in PE while your daughter will be in business, not sure how this affects AA's minors policy, i.e. since you're in a different cabin would they try to charge the unaccompanied minor fee?

In any event, a call to AA is in order.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:04 pm

I know JDiver will show up with a 10 page long thread addressing my issue but here goes. Using the AA app on my Ipad, when I went to update info on a reservation I have, it made me log in again and then wouldn't accept my password after very carefully entering it many times. I'm logged in when I open the app, it's only after I need to change something that I have this issue. Is it me or is it AA?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Gringa
I know JDiver will show up with a 10 page long thread addressing my issue but here goes. Using the AA app on my Ipad, when I went to update info on a reservation I have, it made me log in again and then wouldn't accept my password after very carefully entering it many times. I'm logged in when I open the app, it's only after I need to change something that I have this issue. Is it me or is it AA?
Most of those threads have a Wikipost at the top of the page summarizing a lot of information. In this instance, we don’t have a thread. As bad, I’ve never experienced this on my iPad. But I wonder if it’s a bad cookie?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:11 pm

Hmmm. Maybe it is. I’ll delete the cookies and see if that does it. Gracias!
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Need specifics on your exact routings and carriers to be able to see what's going on. If any of your potential longhaul segments are on BA metal then these come with hefty ripoff fuel surcharges.
You solved my problem. THANK YOU! I was so convinced it was a date issue I missed the consistency of BA metal segments causing the problem. I was looking at MSP-BCN where lots of routes are possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.