FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:09 am
JJeffrey
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by dingo
I'm looking to fly a party of 3 from CLT to MAD via MIA, and return from BCN to CLT via MIA.

Travelers: me - old; wife - not nearly as old but still over 21; daughter - under driving age.

I want to book my wife and I into premium economy so we can earn miles, and then try to use my Exec Plat or mileage upgrades to get into business.

I'd like to book my daughter into business using her own miles.

If my wife an I don't clear to business, I would put my wife in business and my daughter and I would sit in coach (premium economy is what I'm thinking actually).

What I don't know, is if I can call and book my daughter on a flight or even do it online since she is a minor... < 10.

Looking for suggestions on how to book this mostly, and opinions on other options if there are any.
Couple of random thoughts:

1) Have you checked award availability for your daughter's ticket? Unless you happen to just get really lucky, you're most likely looking at AAnytime awards, i.e. I'd make sure she has enough miles for this plan to work.

2) You will have to call AA to book your daughter's award ticket, so they can notate the PNR that she is not traveling alone.

3) Since initially you and your wife will be in PE while your daughter will be in business, not sure how this affects AA's minors policy, i.e. since you're in a different cabin would they try to charge the unaccompanied minor fee?

In any event, a call to AA is in order.