Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

19 years of EXP , had surgery this year and AA will not grant me an extension

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

19 years of EXP , had surgery this year and AA will not grant me an extension

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:40 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Often1
No, they are loyalty programs.

They are intended to insure your loyalty for the coming year. If you believe that they are a reward for past loyalty, then make sure to leave hot chocolate out for Santa.
Maybe, but just one sided. Reminds me of the unfaithful wife telling her husband to not stray. For years the program was the only profitable aspect of the airline, so it seems they capitalized on that to our benefit. Now, the watch word is monetize-especially the premium cabin. It's only business, so expectations are in check. Looking at other options may not be as satisfying, but there are options and many can be made to work.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by rbAA
Maybe, but just one sided. Reminds me of the unfaithful wife telling her husband to not stray. For years the program was the only profitable aspect of the airline, so it seems they capitalized on that to our benefit. Now, the watch word is monetize-especially the premium cabin. It's only business, so expectations are in check. Looking at other options may not be as satisfying, but there are options and many can be made to work.
Yes, that is what AA's owners, the shareholders, are due and it is what a for-profit corporations D&O have a fiduciary duty to do.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by AtomicLush

I can tell you exactly what would have happened. My EXP DH had major surgery one year and it took him out of traveling for about half the year. He received a call FROM AA proactively asking him why his travel dropped so much that year, he explained and sent in a dr note, and they granted him another year of status. This was many many years ago - and it kept him loyal to AA for many more years since.
This happened to me. In October 2014, I resigned from a job that had me traveling 160K EQM / year on average. I took my last trip for the year for personal on November 10th. We spent the holidays in town, and I was onboarding at my new company. The first week of February, I received a pro-active call. I explained my position. At this point I told them I'd not be traveling as much given the new job and pending family addition. The lady was super friendly and said she was glad I had the family addition and didn't jump carriers. I proclaimed my loyalty to AA. 2015 was a super low travel year for me, but my travel started picking up again in 2016 and 2017 and 2018 were pretty heavy travel, but nothing like the old days. Regardless, the pro-active call was unexpected. Mine was cold turkey though, from heavy travel to no travel for three months, it sounds like OP was traveling a bit, maybe AA has a different formula for that...
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by zebranz
Loyalty works one way- $$$$$$$$

When the pendulum swings the other way...
BINGO. I left AA this year. I spent somewhere around 45k on air travel this year, less than $1,000 on AA. I voted with my wallet, sometimes spending more money to fly other airlines that provide better service. First time in my life.

AA must have noticed because as I browse the “bump up thread” the order I got to buy up was ridiculously cheap and I still passed.

Its nit not worth it and you just found out the hard way why: because in this relationship with AA it’s one sided. You care to have a relationship with them while they could care less either way.

Sorry for your let down and disappointment—-go enjoy your air travel with someone else.

Cheers,
TG
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by nrr
I wonder how OPs situation would have played out pre-merger?
I can tell you: When I had cancer 14 years ago, AA extended my EXP that year gratis. I eventually had 17 years at EXP, and 4 mm. It was a very different AA then.
JDiver and C17PSGR like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelgeek1197

BINGO. I left AA this year. I spent somewhere around 45k on air travel this year, less than $1,000 on AA. I voted with my wallet, sometimes spending more money to fly other airlines that provide better service. First time in my life.

AA must have noticed because as I browse the “bump up thread” the order I got to buy up was ridiculously cheap and I still passed.

Its nit not worth it and you just found out the hard way why: because in this relationship with AA it’s one sided. You care to have a relationship with them while they could care less either way.

Sorry for your let down and disappointment—-go enjoy your air travel with someone else.

Cheers,
TG
What level of status was the buy-up offer for? Some of the Gold buy-up offers were as low as $235. The pricier ones were for higher levels of status.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by on-a-stick
As the boomer generation ages and becomes more and more frail, airlines will encounter this more and more. I think someone with two decades of loyalty should be given the benefit of the doubt and have their status extended. But the airlines, seeing the looming army of the walking wounded, may feel differently. There's a story about loyalty in there somewhere.

The only way to win is to book the lowest fare. It's a race to the bottom that was started by the airlines, not the passengers. I've been plat/gold on AA for years now - this will be my last year. From now on, it's fares all the way.

interesting point that got me thinking. Lifetime platinum for more than 10 years and never really wanted to spend money or time to get to exp..i hate to think of all of us as the walking wounded but is probably true. We are also potentially more interested in comfort and premium seats and services which we thought would be on a single airline we know and trusted or at least did so in the past but we need to vote with our feet and wallet and just pick the best route and fare like most travelers already do At the beginning of this thread I would have gone for making an exception but I think the use of some criteria is needed to make a fair decision Not sure how many proactively reach out to AA like OP did.

and yes am exp this year due to flying on next day international flights for a family health emergency. Early in the year so trying to squeeze out benefits for 2019.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Most points have been made, but seriously, the OP had an unfortunate accident, not of AA's doing that grounded them for 30% of the year. But in the whole year they only made 50% of required EXP PQM qualification criteria. So 19 years as EXP/CK is pretty good going. but it's not as if the OP was even vaguely close to re qualifying.
Can in point, I was an EXP for 6 years and then dropped to 0 PQM/PQD/PQS in 2010 (moved to Portland and realized AA was virtually absent at that time in the PNW). AA never even called me to find out what happened. They don't care.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I think the mistake a lot of people make is thinking there is some type of personal relationship with the airline they are doing business with, when there isn't.
The FF program is there for you to continue flying the airline. It is not there to award you for past service. They believe they know what amount of benefits are needed for you to keep giving them money.
I have lifetime PLT status, so I fly the airline quite a bit still, but not as much as I used to. I like the free baggage and other perks, but since the drop to fare based award miles, it is better some times to not fly AA.
I just booked a summer cruise from Genoa. I am OK traveling one checked bag to Europe and that is generally what most carriers offer. I will be flying Lufthansa for all 4 flights, TATL in Premium Economy.. My primary reason for this is the cost. I found a fare that was $900 per person less than what I could find on AA, and the lowest fares I found had be connecting at JFK, LAX, or MIA. With Lufthansa, I am flying DFW-FRA for my 2 TATL flights. I would much rather connect at FRA than any of those other cities, and saving $1800 is even more of incentive, even if I won't have lounge access.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
That said -- this past year my wife had planned a trip -- using AA miles outbound to NYC with a cruise and return from LHR to Phoenix using AA miles. The trip was planned for May. In April she had a seizure -- and surgery. Clearly unable to make the trip. I contacted AA with the problem, needing to cancel fhe flights and queried about getting the miles back.

Not only did they refund the miles, they refunded the fees I did not need to forward them the doctor's report which I had). We had insurance through a 3rd party -- but needed only to use that for the cancelled cruise.

So sometimes they do manage the service thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.