Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

19 years of EXP , had surgery this year and AA will not grant me an extension

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

19 years of EXP , had surgery this year and AA will not grant me an extension

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by nrr
I wonder how OPs situation would have played out pre-merger?
I can tell you exactly what would have happened. My EXP DH had major surgery one year and it took him out of traveling for about half the year. He received a call FROM AA proactively asking him why his travel dropped so much that year, he explained and sent in a dr note, and they granted him another year of status. This was many many years ago - and it kept him loyal to AA for many more years since.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP would probably be back in the hospital after flying that.
Traveller likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: a
Thanks for the suggestion , but not going to do that .... I just thought my loyalty would have been rewarded ... as you can imagine there have been literally over a hundred flight delays where I never asked for compensation and a lot of times where I booked an AA flight even though it was more expensive ... Not gonna have to worry about that again .

Last edited by wimvlb; Dec 19, 2018 at 7:36 am

Perfect time to do a Delta status match!

Thank me later. You won’t regret it one bit.

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
If the OP has time and some $ to burn and a STRONG desire to spend a lot of time on planes, it COULD be done. I haven't checked specific dates, but of the open fares i've seen from the MR forums, something like this:
Nowhere in my response did I say it couldn't be done, I said it's a tall order.

Read between the lines. In looking at the initial post and their follow on comments, coming off a hard year of medical challenges, does their tone imply they are looking to do the type of mileage run you laid out over the Christmas holidays? If that was the desire they probably would have started a thread like, "I"m 50K EQMS short of EXP, how can I get there?"

Regards
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
What, did you have the nerve to think the Advantage program was about "loyalty" or something?
​​​​​​
Sarcasm aside, that is pretty lame. Unsurprising knowing about Doug "LCC" Parker's history in AZ, but lame.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by wimvlb
Hi , I have been Executive Platinum every year since 1999 , even made concierge Key a few years ago . I am a 3 million miler and was fiercely loyal to American. This year I broke my shoulder in February , had a replacement surgery in March and was unable to fly for a few more months. I still managed to spend 12k and flew 50 000 miles or so . I called the Exp Desk several times mid year to see what I could do and they told me just call back towards the end of the year and we will find a resolution.
So I reached out yesterday to advantage customer service where someone made a report detailing my issue and said I could expect a decision in the next few weeks.
Today I got a call from an executive platinum liaison who said , he had decided not to offer me an extension of my status .. When I asked if I could speak with his supervisor , he said he was the final voice . However if I call him back in January he may offer me a challenge of which the terms as still to be determined.
Frankly I am flabbergasted that they have no flexibility and that my past loyalty seems to count for nothing .. I was not expecting that at all .. oh well ..
Anyone else has similar experiences or any suggestions ??
Once they decided to monetize retaining status or buying up even for minuscule deficiencies, there was no turning back. I’ve seen members’ posts describing illnesses, surgeries, some deployed to combat overseas, etc. denied status retention exemptions. (Just my speculation, but if the CEO and his management have no loyalty to the airline, loyalty may not be highly valued.)

If you’re up for it, I recommend one final attempt: a well prepared but not overly lengthy snail mail to Doug Parker’s office stating the facts (including the qualifying EQD, shoulder and EXP Liaison denial - it will be in your record) and why it’s in the interest of AA to grant you this exception.

Good luck.

If not, you have options. Eat pride and knowingly go for the challenge offer because AA is your most practical choice due to location and available routes, or go to Delta as others have advised. You could even try for a DL match now and use that as leverage if you choose to call AA for a challenge.

I’ve been flying AA since the 1940s. Loyalty used to be valued. As a subteen I even received a letter, dictated and signed by AA CEO C. R. Smith, because I sent an in flight post card to him. (Yep, they’d give you postcards or stationery and envelopes, frank and post your letters written on board in those days.) That certainly had an effect on me over the years, but the AA and CEO of today are not the AA and CEO of the 1950s.
C17PSGR likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 19, 2018 at 7:52 am
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
See what kind of challenge they provide. I did one a few years ago for EXP and it was very reasonable and doable.
JDiver, JonNYC and dickinson like this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Hilton recently instituted a benefit to extend your Diamond status for another year if circumstances kept you from requalifying the normal way. That would nice for AA to do but they keep trying every which way to keep the EXP numbers down to where they can reasonably deliver some decent benefits, and not making exceptions like this is part of that effort.

I sympathize with the OP, up to a point. In the past AA probably would have made an exception. Now they offer the buy-up option for cases like this, which I assume he would be eligible for. Now it's just a matter of money. In a normal year he would likely have spent the money with AA anyway. This way he spends it and retains the status without having to fly.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AS has an official "Elite Leave" policy for new parents, but it seems pretty clear that's the limit of it.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ts/elite-leave

While I'm sympathetic to OP, it's also nice to have consistency. Airlines used to have "soft landing" policies where people would only drop by at most one level each year. This would probably keep most people happy and it removes the "what should the threshold be for long-term loyalty?" question that results from having to make case-by-case decisions. But it's pretty clear with the buy-up programs that soft landings are not going to return.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 19, 2018 at 12:13 pm
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:08 am

But why should AA give you Executive Platinum gratis? Judging by your numbers - 3M lifetime over 19 years of EXP it sounds like you were squeaking by most years since pre-2011 everything was counted towards MM status. It wasn't like you missed EXP by <10,000 miles, you earned half of what it takes.

They have awarded your loyalty with Lifetime Platinum status. Granted it's been devalued but you still get early boarding, access to MCE and upgrades.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Perfect time to do a Delta status match!

Thank me later. You won’t regret it one bit.
Eh, DL has its warts too! Particularly the SkyMiles program and redemption values, and the 72-hour rule. And I'm not entirely sure of DL's matching at the top level, I would think they wouldn't match you to Diamond (which is 125k EQMs), except perhaps with a status. And of course maintaining Diamond is more difficult than EXP -- not only 125k vs. 100k, but they only give a 2x multiplier for full F/J (AA gives 3x), otherwise it's 1.5x for discount First/Biz (vs. AA's 2x). Although they have rollover MQMs which can help offset.

But I'm sure there's no shortage of threads comparing AA vs. DL.
Often1 and gmt4 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Or forget it and fly the carrier providing the best combination of the factors important to you, e.g. price, schedule, hard, and soft product. Perhaps other factors as well. If you want to fly F/J on a given flight, find the ticket for the price in your range. If you need to check a bag when in Y, pay on those occasions. But, don't stress over a self-created problem, e.g. having to maintain status.

Requests such as OP's serve to convince carriers that their marketing strategy of retaining "loyalty" is working. Maybe the strategy is.
wimvlb likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:44 am

I seem to be in the minority, but I don't agree with the notion of granting exemptions based on some kind of perceived, accrued loyalty. It's a slippery slope from the company's perspective. (Especially when the OP admits they are only at 50% of the EQM threshold!). OP can get back on the AA horse in 2019 and try to qualify for status in 2020, or take their loyalty--with a fresh start--elsewhere.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
If they granted an exception they would have to do so for everyone and then set what the terms would be. If its ok at 19 year of loyalty, then how about 15?? 10?? how severe does the illness need to be etc etc. They probably also considered, he will still be at the very least platinum and quite a few of the perks are never going away. It not like he will be dropped to no status.

If he wants to persist yes call again and use social media. It cant hurt as long as he sticks to the facts and is poilite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.