Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

19 years of EXP , had surgery this year and AA will not grant me an extension

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

19 years of EXP , had surgery this year and AA will not grant me an extension

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
If he wants to persist yes call again and use social media. It cant hurt as long as he sticks to the facts and is poilite.
Maybe. Or maybe not. If the person who said "no" really is the primary arbitrator of these sorts of exceptions and he discovers that the OP went higher up the ladder, that might sink any chances of getting an easy challenge come January. Without knowing the actual process that American uses, it's tough to say whether contacting the CEO's office will have any negative consequences.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
AA has flexibility, the OP just doesn’t like the options given.

OP apparently isn’t close enough to meet criteria for a boost/renew offer to Exec Plt or CK offer. And isn’t happy that his years of loyalty awarded lifetime status at a level lower than his desired status.

Nor are they happy with the idea of a challenge in 2019 to regain ExPlt status. Which, while unknown, should be reasonable based on prior reports from members who found the grass browner or changed roles and than changed back to a travel heavy role.

Remaining option, short of a wild MR, is to buy an airpass with the desired status level. If OP pays high rates due to being hub captive, and flies enough to be ExP or CK every year for the last 19 years, then why not invest and show your commitment to continue that flying level?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
That is true for most travelers, but for someone who has been CK for multiple years in the past, it may be different.

Aren't CK invitations made on a case by case basis? Of course the masses are just lumped together in categories, but at the top end decisions are made on an individualized basis. Which is not to say that the decision will go in his favor; just that it's worth a shot.
Sure. But, it's all metrics. By definition, HVC's (not just based on spend, but other important features such as spend controlled for others) is easy to measure and easy to dump out into a pool.

The fact that an individual can't point to specifics which will "earn" him CK doesn't mean that there aren't easily calculated but non-apparent metrics. Take for example just one example: the purchase of high fare basis premium seats on especially profitable routes vs. the same spend on low-profit routes.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
Sure. But, it's all metrics. By definition, HVC's (not just based on spend, but other important features such as spend controlled for others) is easy to measure and easy to dump out into a pool.
...The fact that an individual can't point to specifics which will "earn" him CK doesn't mean that there aren't easily calculated but non-apparent metrics.

...Take for example just one example: the purchase of high fare basis premium seats on especially profitable routes vs. the same spend on low-profit routes.
Your not even *close* to how member profitability is calculated.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Yes, if the metric doesn't include quantity of pretzels consumed then it is doomed to fail from the outset
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If that was true then they would let the computer decide who gets a CK invitation and who doesn't. My understanding (from the discussion on the relevant thread) is that people sit in a room, look at every high-level candidate's data, and discuss and decide whether or not to invite that person.

That means that there are relatively high-level people at the company who are familiar with this person's travel spend and history. Once you get to that point, there is a chance that an exception will be made.

It really can't hurt to ask, as long as it's done properly (throwing a social media tantrum is not "properly", of course). Be polite, respectful, and unemotional. State the facts, and ask for reconsideration. The worst they can say is no. Do not make threats that you are not willing or able to follow through on. They know your travel patterns and they are not idiots. Don't claim that you will fly other airlines if it's not really a feasible option.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If that was true then they would let the computer decide who gets a CK invitation and who doesn't. My understanding (from the discussion on the relevant thread) is that people sit in a room, look at every high-level candidate's data, and discuss and decide whether or not to invite that person.

That means that there are relatively high-level people at the company who are familiar with this person's travel spend and history. Once you get to that point, there is a chance that an exception will be made.

It really can't hurt to ask, as long as it's done properly (throwing a social media tantrum is not "properly", of course). Be polite, respectful, and unemotional. State the facts, and ask for reconsideration. The worst they can say is no. Do not make threats that you are not willing or able to follow through on. They know your travel patterns and they are not idiots. Don't claim that you will fly other airlines if it's not really a feasible option.
OP isn't being considered for CK. He didn't requalify this year for EXP and I don't think that there are a lot of high level people sitting around in a room.

I know several multi-year EXP's and Delta DM's who lost status because they were in Iraq or Afghanistan. Neither AA nor Delta would budge. It seems pretty unrealistic they will budge here although I'm not disputing that it would be fair or appropriate. I think AA has decided its not going to make exceptions. Perhaps because of a history of some scammers or the difficulty in finding the right cutoff for exceptions. And trust me, I've been in OP's shoes so I understand.

I suspect OP's best option is to see what can be done with a challenge.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum. Delta Platinum.
I'd communicate with Delta / United for a status match and then send AA copies of the correspondence showing them that you are ready to jump ship if they don't play along. Alternately I'd take to social media. 19 years is impressive and should count for something. Additionally since you already hit the $12k spend required for ExecPlat, I'm even more amazed they didn't want to work something out with you.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:18 pm

AA is making money now.....clients like you don't matter anymore. Remember this when the airlines return to their predictable slump in the next year or two.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Is it because they forgot to include wardrobe or how many Barclay’s apps were completed in the equation?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fx1099
I'd communicate with Delta / United for a status match and then send AA copies of the correspondence showing them that you are ready to jump ship if they don't play along. Alternately I'd take to social media. 19 years is impressive and should count for something. Additionally since you already hit the $12k spend required for ExecPlat, I'm even more amazed they didn't want to work something out with you.
iirc, the best that they would match to is the equivalent of platinum, for which he has lifetime status - he will still need to earn top tier status but will not have a platinum level lifetime safety net

if UA or DL make more sense to use as carriers, then switching makes sense, but I doubt that AA is going to be worried in the slightest about a threat of leaving
Often1 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by fx1099
You could show AA the matches, but AA knows OP is DFW based. So UA or DL means connecting instead of nonstop flights. AA knows the odds that you’ll be back.

As to spending $12k and only getting halfway to ExPlt... lots of us do that every year. LOL. I keep saying I want a rewards program tierred only on revenue, not BIS metrics, but AA hasn’t gone that far yet.

Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
If you are willing to consider a change to another airline I would echo the suggestion of going for a status match. United used to (and I believe still do) offer status match from Exec Plat to 1K.

AA’s lack of customer service from my perspective has had a great result for me, not so much for AA. I was unhappy with AA based on how they handled something a couple of years ago and did a status match to 1K with United. Like you, I already have lifetime Platinum status on AA. I now maintain both Executive Platinum and 1K. AA went from getting about $50K a year to about half of that. This year AA got $24,383 and United got $27,583. I did get a call from someone in the “executive office” asking me why I had reduced my flying with AA. I relayed my experience, including my interaction with the person who identified themselves as “the supervisor and final word on the matter”. The person asked me to give them another chance and gave me a number to call if I ever had a problem again. I Explained that it was too late. I now have top published status on 2 airlines.

Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by rbAA
No cigar. 19 years and only 3MM? And shoulder surgery in March and not making up the lost time/trips in the remaining 8 to 9 months? I had a serious motorcycle accident in China in Jan 2016 and couldn't properly WALK for weeks, though still flew a week after the accident: PVG-LHR-MXP in J on BA (and the wonderful BA CS people neglected to get me a wheel chair when I arrived from PVG at T5 and I had to limp thru T5 to get to the shuttle,) and then, with stopovers, MXP-PHL-YYZ-ORD-LAX-DFW-LAX-SFO-LAX-PVG (apx 34k EQM's mostly in FC or J) using a cane, all before I could get a proper shoe on my right foot (wearing a slipper in the middle of winter in China, Italy, Toronto) that had been run over in the accident. Shoulder surgery is tough and does require some icing via the ice machine, but I made EXP in 2016 in spite of a major medical issue. And let's not talk about people that get laid off/business travel reductions/financial problems etc. It's not really a loyalty program; it's a rebate deal that has some aspects of status. I had top status on TW before AA took them over and all I got was AA lifetime credit for the apx 1MM miles I earned on TW's program. The station manager at ZRH explained it very clearly to me before my first AA TATL: you need to pay for what you want. That attitude is now more firmly entrenched in AA's corporate thinking as we see from all the changes made to the "former loyalty" program. I've been earning status on AA since that first TATL, for almost 30 years, with a few short breaks, down to my LT PLT, and don't understand the sense of entitlement required to even suggest that EXP be given for free. Get your expectations in check.

Oh yeah, forgot to welcome you to FT. Enjoy.
I agree that “loyalty” programs are really “perks” programs. loyalty doesn’t and should be automatically associated with how much you spend with someone. I wish they would be labelled as such, though. It’s perfectly fine to give your big spenders lots of thank yous; it’s not fine to do this under the guise of “thanks for flying with us and only us, regardless of how much you’ve spent.”
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No, they are loyalty programs.

They are intended to insure your loyalty for the coming year. If you believe that they are a reward for past loyalty, then make sure to leave hot chocolate out for Santa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.