Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

19 years of EXP , had surgery this year and AA will not grant me an extension

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

19 years of EXP , had surgery this year and AA will not grant me an extension

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by escape4
With all due respect, those examples are not even close to OP's situation.

Fly a lot in 2017, the resulting perk is EXP status in 2018. If you do not fly at all in 2018, you are effectively not getting the perk you earned. That is why some airlines (and hotels) accept to move your perk from 2018 to 2019 if you are not travelling in 2018 especially if it's a medical reason and you will resume being a frequent customer after that. They are not giving you more benefits, they are simply shifting what you earned by one year.

For cable TV, if for some reason I am going away for an entire year, I will stop paying and I won't get the service during that year. When I come back, I resume paying, and the service resumes too. As it should be. Different timing than for airline status.

For season tickets, if you have surgery after buying your tickets, you will have no problem selling them to someone else for that year. Then renew the next year and attend games.

Bottom line, if I was the sole decision maker at AA, I would give OP status. I think I earn more goodwill by doing so, which benefits AA in the long run. Unfortunately I do not call the shots!
Moreover, false comparisons never work.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:43 pm

So, I'll give you an actual example, as I went through this last year. I dont have your tenure as an EXP (was my first year), but I was over 75k EQMs and close to (if not over) the EXP EQD target when I suffered a knee injury that put me out of commission for the rest of the year. I called AA and explained my situation. They granted me the standard challenge (35k EQMs in 90 days plus a spend target). I met it and kept it. Ultimately, they are running a business and I wouldn't have faulted them from walking away from me.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:51 pm

This is disgusting. What I would do: I would escalate this to the person that runs Loyalty via email or LinkedIn to see if they can reverse this decision. Barring that, Delta offers a pretty easy challenge to Platinum Medallion; I’d give them a try!

Originally Posted by wimvlb
Hi , I have been Executive Platinum every year since 1999 , even made concierge Key a few years ago . I am a 3 million miler and was fiercely loyal to American. This year I broke my shoulder in February , had a replacement surgery in March and was unable to fly for a few more months. I still managed to spend 12k and flew 50 000 miles or so . I called the Exp Desk several times mid year to see what I could do and they told me just call back towards the end of the year and we will find a resolution.
So I reached out yesterday to advantage customer service where someone made a report detailing my issue and said I could expect a decision in the next few weeks.
Today I got a call from an executive platinum liaison who said , he had decided not to offer me an extension of my status .. When I asked if I could speak with his supervisor , he said he was the final voice . However if I call him back in January he may offer me a challenge of which the terms as still to be determined.
Frankly I am flabbergasted that they have no flexibility and that my past loyalty seems to count for nothing .. I was not expecting that at all .. oh well ..
Anyone else has similar experiences or any suggestions ??
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:54 pm

There is a massive difference between someone getting EXP for free and someone with 20-years at that level getting disqualified for renewal because of an injury that prevents you from flying. I wish airlines did lifetime statuses like the hotels do.
Originally Posted by Often1
1. What will you qualify for at this point?
2. Have you checked the "boost" offer?
3. What would it take to get you to EXP? E.g., is it practicably doable?

Now that AA, DL, and UA all offer "boost" buy-ups (while the term used differs), they have all become wholly intransigent.

While people on FT tend to assess public outrage a bit differently than the real world, imagine the story of someone who says, "I just paid $3,000 for a "boost" to EXP and sat next to someone who got it as a freebie. I want my money back."

That is a tough love example, but the reality is that the public and those who control the corporate contracts which keep the legacies flying, don't even know what EXP vs. General means.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:59 pm

True but that’s basically not loyalty at all. Perhaps it makes sense to rename the loyalty program to benefit programs to make it clear that it’s all about spend

Originally Posted by pmblinn
I seem to be in the minority, but I don't agree with the notion of granting exemptions based on some kind of perceived, accrued loyalty. It's a slippery slope from the company's perspective. (Especially when the OP admits they are only at 50% of the EQM threshold!). OP can get back on the AA horse in 2019 and try to qualify for status in 2020, or take their loyalty--with a fresh start--elsewhere.
pmblinn likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Eh, DL has its warts too! Particularly the SkyMiles program and redemption values, and the 72-hour rule. And I'm not entirely sure of DL's matching at the top level, I would think they wouldn't match you to Diamond (which is 125k EQMs), except perhaps with a status. And of course maintaining Diamond is more difficult than EXP -- not only 125k vs. 100k, but they only give a 2x multiplier for full F/J (AA gives 3x), otherwise it's 1.5x for discount First/Biz (vs. AA's 2x). Although they have rollover MQMs which can help offset.

But I'm sure there's no shortage of threads comparing AA vs. DL.[/LEFT]
Plus DL gives status challenges, not matches.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carlosnunez.dfw
True but that’s basically not loyalty at all. Perhaps it makes sense to rename the loyalty program to benefit programs to make it clear that it’s all about spend
They do have a program for long-term loyalty -- it's the MM program. I can see OP's disappointment, but dropping down in status is not exactly the end of the world and it's simply not true that the airlines don't have something to reward long-term loyalty.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
People seem to be focusing on the fact that OP is 50% short on EQM, but not the fact that OP is 0% short on EQD. Shouldn't AA care more about the $$ than the miles?

AA can do whatever it wants. But it seems (at least to me) they're taking a very narrow, short-term view of the situation.
wrp96 and escape4 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Nowhere in my response did I say it couldn't be done, I said it's a tall order.

Read between the lines. In looking at the initial post and their follow on comments, coming off a hard year of medical challenges, does their tone imply they are looking to do the type of mileage run you laid out over the Christmas holidays? If that was the desire they probably would have started a thread like, "I"m 50K EQMS short of EXP, how can I get there?"

Regards
Also, if one were willing to do an epic MR for 50k+ EQM, it would probably make more sense to do it in January (as a lame-duck EXP), get a big head start on 2020 qualification, and only experience reduced status while completing the remainder.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:03 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by carlosnunez.dfw
There is a massive difference between someone getting EXP for free and someone with 20-years at that level getting disqualified for renewal because of an injury that prevents you from flying.

Sadly, such common sense does not resonate everywhere.

Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Shouldn't AA care more about the $$ than the miles?
I agree from a purely financial perspective, but the terms of the program are this AND that, both contributing equally to status eligibility.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
People seem to be focusing on the fact that OP is 50% short on EQM, but not the fact that OP is 0% short on EQD. Shouldn't AA care more about the $$ than the miles?

AA can do whatever it wants. But it seems (at least to me) they're taking a very narrow, short-term view of the situation.
The EQD thresholds are meant as low-level cutoff. You are misreading their significance. There's a reason they require meeting both EQD and EQM/EQS for status. If they wanted a pure, revenue-based threshold, it would be higher than the current EQD thresholds.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
As part of my job I have to make decisions as to whether or not we pay people to commissions, bonuses etc. While I understand everyone has bleeding situations, and I’ve heard my share of sob stories, I always go back to what is the fair thing to do. If there isn’t some sort of policy written that states exceptions can be granted due to illness, maternity, then I don’t think an exception should be granted. Life isn’t fair.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Plus DL gives status challenges, not matches.
Yeah, I think I meant to say "I would think they wouldn't match you to Diamond (which is 125k EQMs), except perhaps with a status challenge" but my brain was partly somewhere else
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by LBJ
The EQD thresholds are meant as low-level cutoff. You are misreading their significance. There's a reason they require meeting both EQD and EQM/EQS for status. If they wanted a pure, revenue-based threshold, it would be higher than the current EQD thresholds.
Sure, I understand. AA wants someone who has "spent" at least $12,000. I'm not disputing that there's a reason for having both EQD and EQS/EQM requirements. I'm also guessing that whoever made the decision in OP's case probably thought the same thing.

What I am saying is that although AA is perfectly entitled to play it completely by-the-book, I think that's a narrow and short-sighted view. Part of that narrow, short-sighted view is seemingly ignoring not only the fact that OP has been EXP for 19 years (with some of those years being CK) but also the fact that this year OP has met the minimum spend requirement for EXP. Between the member who meets only 50% of the EQM requirement and the member who meets only 50% of the EQD requirement, I'd think AA would choose to make an exception for the member who meets only 50% of the EQM requirement—although of course, they are entitled to make an exception for neither. And if AA had to choose to lose one of those members, I'm guessing they would choose to lose the one who only meets 50% of the EQD requirement—although at the rate they're going they may be losing both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.