Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status

AA generally offers members reasonably close to requalifying for status near the end of the year the option to buy back their existing status, or on occasion to buy up to the next highest status tier.

These offers are generally made by email to AAdvantage members beginning some time in November.

If you have not received an offer or would like to see your offer (if any), you can see it by visiting https://elite.aa.com

If you haven’t flown sufficiently, you’ll probably sign in and see

No offers available

Thanks for visiting. Our records show that you’re not eligible to receive an fifer at this time. If you need more information about your account, visit aa.com/youraccount
Please peruse this thread to see offers reported by members.
Print Wikipost

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
I was a 9100$ EQD and 74,500 EQM yesterday. Today I'm already Platinum Pro. Got the email today to boost to platinum pro and when I sign it its offering it for $1145. Of course I'm already Platinum Pro today as I flew yesterday and the miles have indeed posted so that's a rotten deal ha ha. Maybe it takes a bit for the system to fully update and I'll get the buy up offer instead soon.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by puchalskir
Will make Plat Pro with my last 2 flights. with 80k miles and 10.5k spend. Wonder what the offer will be for Exec Plat then?
I'm at just shy of $12k spend (my Barclay should hit any day bringing that to $15k), and 82k miles...and haven't gotten an offer at all to renew EXP.
I have a trip in a few weeks where I'll meet it.

So don't count on anything.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: FB Plat
I'm Gold through January, 2020, and at this moment I'm 10,000 EQMs short of Platinum.

My offer this morning was $975 to go Platinum now. I have several flights scheduled in 2019, but they're award flights so I won't be able to accumulate the 10k EQMs on those flights. I was actually starting to think of a MR to get those 10k EQMs (RT SAN-LAX-CLT would do it on a 2x fare, which would probably be more expensive than the $975 buy-up offer).

So I think I'll do the buy-up. The slightly higher mileage bonus and oneworld priority screening/boarding would be of some value to me, but more than anything I'm curious to see how many more award days open up by having Platinum rather than Gold.

Last edited by paris1000; Nov 6, 2018 at 4:50 pm
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by NovaEngr
Currently Platinum with $12K EQD, 46K EQM. Buy up offer is $895. With a flight that will credit tomorrow and an MR PHL-DFW next week, I'll requalify for Plat with 153 EQM to spare.
This Pt Pro just received essentially same offer - $895. Have roughly $10K EQD and just over 45 EQM.

Booked a one day F mileage run for about 1/2 the price, that will ensure Pt status.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT Platinum
Currently Plt Pro and I received a very laughable offer. I am at 17.5k EQD and 93650 miles. They offered EP for $1749! That seems like a really poor value.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:57 pm

Just got my offer today. I'm Plat and currently about 2200 miles short of re-qualifying. I have 1 trip booked for Dec that will get me the miles I need that I spent $440 on because it's holiday travel. My offer was $695, which isn't too bad if someone doesn't have many days left in the year to do a mileage run.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I'm 8000 eqm from EXP (92k eqm $19k eqd) with 6 upcoming flights booked before EOY and got an offer to buy up ex plat for $1,750. No need I'll easily make EXP in 3 weeks.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by backspinnn
Currently Plt Pro and I received a very laughable offer. I am at 17.5k EQD and 93650 miles. They offered EP for $1749! That seems like a really poor value.
but also less than $500 per evip. I would buy 4 evips for $1,749 all day long!
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
I'm $550 EQD and 9K EQM short of re-qualifying for PLT. I got an offer of $895. I have the necessary travel scheduled, so I don't need to buy it, but if that were not the case I would take the offer. Immediate access to MCE seats at booking and FL access on int'l travel are more than worth the money.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Do these buy up offers change (more importantly, go down in price) for a member as they put on more travel before the end of the year?

Won't make the threshold for the next tier by a long shot, but more scheduled travel will bring the EQM/EQD up some more. Wondering if it is worth waiting for that travel to post, if it then has an impact on the buy up price?

Or is the initial price quoted the only price for you on the offer?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
I seem to recall last year as I closed in on EXP (before I finally got it in December) that the offers improved.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Yes, the offers improve as you get closer. If you are buying back to a level which you currently have, there is no reason to pull the trigger until after you are sure you've taken your last flight in 2018. If doing the buy-up gets you higher status for flights in 2018, that may be a different story.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by backspinnn
I went a few miles over PPRO and they revoked my prior offer (to get to PPRO) of $1,445. I now have no offers however I have a trip from JFK to PSP at about $2k that will put me mid 80s EQM with $16.5k EQD. My speculation is they offer something like $3k for renewal (or not).
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: AA
Currently PPro. I've got 15.5K EQD and am 1492 short of 100K EQMs. I was just offered the "opportunity" to boost to ExPlat for $1,445.

I guess AA assumes people in this situation don't analyze the situation and jump on the "offer." If I weren't already traveling next week and reaching 100K EQMs the normal way, I could easily do a mileage run for under $500 that would get me to ExPlat (plus I'd get some FF miles).
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jtav559
Do these buy up offers change (more importantly, go down in price) for a member as they put on more travel before the end of the year?

Won't make the threshold for the next tier by a long shot, but more scheduled travel will bring the EQM/EQD up some more. Wondering if it is worth waiting for that travel to post, if it then has an impact on the buy up price?

Or is the initial price quoted the only price for you on the offer?
Yeah, it's already changed for me since I've had additional trips. So definitely hold off as long as possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.