Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Admirals Club access rules for members changed, membership costs increased 1 November 2019.

Changes to membership link to this page on aa.com

Access changes

Starting November 1, 2019

Boarding passes for same-day travel on American Airlines or partner airlines are required for entry.1

1 Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines, marketed and operated by any oneworld® partner carrier, or marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
This is true regardless of membership type, excluding lifetime members. Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® Authorized Users must fulfill the same requirements. (Lifetime Admirals Club members may access Admirals Clubs even if they’re flying non-AA partners, e.g. Southwest, United.)

Declared Business Purposes or rental of a conference facility without a same day boarding pass will not suffice to allow access.

As far as we know, authorized guests accompanying a member do not have to present a same day boarding pass.

No discount is available for a household membership, which will cost $600 regardless of the sponsoring guest’s AAdvantage status.

One Day Passes are available at $59 per person, available for purchase at all Clubs except those where Club refurbishment or construction is going on (currently, ORD and PHL). One Day Passes are not available online.
Print Wikipost

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Not surprising to see Parker bending over backwards to appease Boomers at the expense of the folks who will continue contributing to AA's revenue over the next half-century. Thankfully he appears to be on his way out.
AA sold lifetime memberships until 2005 and UA until 2011 or 2012 so there are still a few younger people who aren't baby boomers.
robertablake likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Not surprising to see Parker bending over backwards to appease Boomers at the expense of the folks who will continue contributing to AA's revenue over the next half-century. Thankfully he appears to be on his way out.
I dont see someone honoring their side of a deal as "bending over backwards". AA sold it, customers (seemingly of many different age groups) bought it. AA should and fortunately is, delivering.
GUWonder and chitink like this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
AA sold lifetime memberships until 2005 and UA until 2011 or 2012 so there are still a few younger people who aren't baby boomers.
I bought a UA lifetime membership in 2010, and not too long ago an agent remarked that she was surprised that someone “so young” was a lifetime member.

It appears that I bought the lifetime membership to the WRONG lounge!
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by SS255
I bought a UA lifetime membership in 2010, and not too long ago an agent remarked that she was surprised that someone “so young” was a lifetime member.

It appears that I bought the lifetime membership to the WRONG lounge!
Given that you have to be 18 to join and UA stopped selling lifetime membership in September 2011 there could theoretically plenty of young people born 1993 with a good investment.
SS255 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 6:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Since you've been AC member since 81 what made you not jump on an opportunity to get a lifetime membership?
I don't remember exactly, but at the time I think the cost of the lifetime was a lot more than annual and I just wasn't sure if I would keep flying.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA ran the numbers and likely figured out that it costs close to nothing. This has nothing to do with honoring anything.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Given that you have to be 18 to join and UA stopped selling lifetime membership in September 2011 there could theoretically plenty of young people born 1993 with a good investment.
One of the airlines pre-merger (can’t recall if it was CO or UA) didn’t have the age requirement. I remember that UA Insider posted that a few lifetime members (4, I think) were under 18 and UA actually revoked their lifetime memberships when the clubs combined. So, yeh...an 18-year-old who bought a membership in 2010 made a great investment...as did my cousin, who bought a lifetime US Air Club membership in the 1980’s for $250 (which is what he to.d me—I can’t verify this). He was in his 30’s at the time, and is still flying fairly regularly.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Often1
AA ran the numbers and likely figured out that it costs close to nothing. This has nothing to do with honoring anything.
And you know this for sure to be so definitive?
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
And, for what it is worth AA PR person, https://twitter.com/Leslie_PScott https://www.linkedin.com/in/leslieparker/ confirmed via
that lifetime members would receive an exception. No official update from AmericanAirlines yet...but this makes me much more comfortable that the news is true than a reputable travel blogger.

Best news I've heard all day!
Old Oct 15, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
And...the conversation continues with the official AA account now saying that lifetime members
. I don't like this news, but the official AA account tweeted.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
And...the conversation continues with the official AA account now saying that lifetime members will not be granted a reprieve. I don't like this news, but the official AA account tweeted.
...and then corrected themselves. Sounds like access rules will remain the same for lifetime Admirals Club members.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
And...the conversation continues with the official AA account now saying that lifetime members will not be granted a reprieve. I don't like this news, but the official AA account tweeted.
Given that it was confirmed before that Lifetime members don't need an AA or OW flight, the tweet is a prime example of AA's incompetence.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I don't do it often, but occasionally it is of benefit. Would be nice if AA at least gave us a handful of "passes" or something where AC members can use the club when not flying AA/OW. Perhaps 3-5 each membership year? Is that too much to ask?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear
I don't do it often, but occasionally it is of benefit. Would be nice if AA at least gave us a handful of "passes" or something where AC members can use the club when not flying AA/OW. Perhaps 3-5 each membership year? Is that too much to ask?
This, or have an option for people to pay extra to use when flying any carrier. They could easily pile on another $200 on top of the regular to keep the perk.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
New Admirals Club Rule - Same Day Flight Required - Any Updates?

In just a few days, many of us will not be able to use the Admirals Club much, or in some cases, at all. Effective Nov 1st, you need to have a same day AA boarding pass. Old news to most of us, but now that the date is here... any updates out there?

Still going to happen?

Any chance of ... anything?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.