Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Admirals Club access rules for members changed, membership costs increased 1 November 2019.

Changes to membership link to this page on aa.com

Access changes

Starting November 1, 2019

Boarding passes for same-day travel on American Airlines or partner airlines are required for entry.1

1 Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines, marketed and operated by any oneworld® partner carrier, or marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
This is true regardless of membership type, excluding lifetime members. Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® Authorized Users must fulfill the same requirements. (Lifetime Admirals Club members may access Admirals Clubs even if they’re flying non-AA partners, e.g. Southwest, United.)

Declared Business Purposes or rental of a conference facility without a same day boarding pass will not suffice to allow access.

As far as we know, authorized guests accompanying a member do not have to present a same day boarding pass.

No discount is available for a household membership, which will cost $600 regardless of the sponsoring guest’s AAdvantage status.

One Day Passes are available at $59 per person, available for purchase at all Clubs except those where Club refurbishment or construction is going on (currently, ORD and PHL). One Day Passes are not available online.
Print Wikipost

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
First hurdle would be getting the gate pass, and even upon reaching the lounge, there might be trouble. There was a report of an unsatisfactory experience in a similar situation.
Never had a problem getting the gate pass.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:47 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
Originally Posted by ctstan
Wow --- so according to this change after Nov 2019 - An AA Exec Plat with a paid Club membership will be denied entry if it happens that I had to take say a last minute purchased SouthWest flight. Doesn't matter if I'm primarily an AA flyer, have status, paid for a membership. Seems pretty ridiculous.

I'm assuming this also means someone couldn't purchase a Day Pass unless they are holding an AA boarding pass. If thats not the case... then my head really is going to explode.

Why oh why did I ever move away from Delta?

Delta has already incorporated the same day travel on Delta/Skyteam with boarding pass so Delta would NOT help in this scenario. I am maintaining Admirals Club/CITI and Skyclub/AMEX Plat/Priority Pass so I am covered on the multitude of flights that I take. I am using Hyatt UA passes for the rare time I need a UA club access.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: AADVANTAGE, Iberia Plus, BA Exec Blue, Hertz #1Gold, HHonors Gold, AS, Paradores Amigos
Here's my two-penn'orth on the subject of lounge access from regular but infrequent visitors to USA and fans of premium class flights. (Our flights to, from and within USA have, for the past couple of decades, been with American).

Growing up, I always fantasised about flying in "Club". "Club" lounges back in the day were reserved for people flying in "Club" class. There were also First class lounges for very posh people, top film stars and millionaires. Credit cards, when they started to become generally available, were used for buying stuff.

So imagine my disappointment and disbelief when, at last, we could afford First Class flights within the US, only to find we could not access the lounge as First Class passengers. Almost unimaginable. Certainly unbelievable to me.

Of course our International Business Class flights brought us access, so that was OK.

We have been buying lounge access, first a monthly (was it?) pass and more recently, day passes to go with our domestic First flights. But have now decided that it's just not worth it. Quite often it's been difficult to find a seat due to the incredible overcrowding. Plenty of seats out in the terminal! On our next trip, we do have First class flights on Alaska and that airline do the right thing and grant us lounge access. For me, moves to reduce overcrowding in lounges have my full backing. Our next lounge will be the wonderful Iberia Velazquez lounge at MAD!
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
A welcomed move. Lounges too crowded. Let's be realistic, an actual AC member is probably among the least valuable customers AA has. If they were or high value, they'd already have access to the FL. Frankly, I've never known anyone to pay money to be a member of an airline club. Utterly bizarre IMO.
E55 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:50 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
If they were or high value, they'd already have access to the FL.
There are many high value customers who travel on routes that do not make them eligible for Flagship Lounges access. Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum customers traveling solely on North American itineraries do not get Flagship Lounge access unless they are traveling in J or F on transcontinental flights between JFK and LAX/SFO on the A321T or LAX and MIA on the 773. Only ConciergeKey customers are eligible for unlimited access regardless of cabin or itinerary.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by AlphaTango

Does that mean same day departing boarding pass? I often use the AA club on arrival to grab a coffee and a snack (and sometimes even a shower) before leaving the airport. This would be a major devaluation in the value of club membership for me if so.

Same day ticket shouid alllow club access. I do the same.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
https://viewfromthewing.com/lifetime...rlines-ticket/

Now it's confirmed that lifetime members will be exempt matching DL's policy.
JDiver and Tanic like this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 2:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8

Last month I reported that American Airlines was still considering whether to allow lifetime club members to keep accessing Admirals Clubs when not flying American or its partners same day.

According to spokesperson Leslie Scott, they’ve made the decision to honor access for lifetime members. She tells me, “We are making an exception for lifetime members, we will not require them to have a same-day ticket on American or partner airline in order to access the Admirals Club.”
This is great for lifetime Admirals Club members! I have to give kudos to AA for doing the right thing here.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 2:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by JDiver
This is great for lifetime Admirals Club members! I have to give kudos to AA for doing the right thing here.
Now, if they would just extend that to people who have been paid members for 38 consecutive years or more, I would be even happier.
GTITAN and enpremiere like this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by sbrower
Now, if they would just extend that to people who have been paid members for 38 consecutive years or more, I would be even happier.
Since you've been AC member since 81 what made you not jump on an opportunity to get a lifetime membership?
Madison Guy likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 6:54 pm

I had bought my lifetime membership back in 1990 and glad to see that American Airlines did the right thing. Now I'd like to see United Airlines do the same thing.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:58 pm
E55

This is the most reasonable lever that they have to pull. They can't add more space easily enough. It's not like the clubs are NOT crowded.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:44 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8

Not surprising to see Parker bending over backwards to appease Boomers at the expense of the folks who will continue contributing to AA's revenue over the next half-century. Thankfully he appears to be on his way out.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Oct 12, 2019 at 11:56 pm
Old Oct 13, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Not surprising to see Parker bending over backwards to appease Boomers at the expense of the folks who will continue contributing to AA's revenue over the next half-century. Thankfully he appears to be on his way out.
As a child of the 1980s who bought a lifetime Admirals Club membership in 2005, this makes me much more interested in expanding my relationship with AA.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
First of all, it wasn’t THAT long ago that they sold lifetime memberships. I’m in my mid-40’s, thank you very much.

Second, Parker’s team is hardly lifetime-member-friendly. This is the same team that charged lifetime members for alliance and partner access annually at LUS. Of course, compared to what LAA did to TW’s members, that may look like bending over backwards for them.
Tanic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.