Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Admirals Club access rules for members changed, membership costs increased 1 November 2019.

Changes to membership link to this page on aa.com

Access changes

Starting November 1, 2019

Boarding passes for same-day travel on American Airlines or partner airlines are required for entry.1

1 Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines, marketed and operated by any oneworld® partner carrier, or marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
This is true regardless of membership type, excluding lifetime members. Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® Authorized Users must fulfill the same requirements. (Lifetime Admirals Club members may access Admirals Clubs even if they’re flying non-AA partners, e.g. Southwest, United.)

Declared Business Purposes or rental of a conference facility without a same day boarding pass will not suffice to allow access.

As far as we know, authorized guests accompanying a member do not have to present a same day boarding pass.

No discount is available for a household membership, which will cost $600 regardless of the sponsoring guest’s AAdvantage status.

One Day Passes are available at $59 per person, available for purchase at all Clubs except those where Club refurbishment or construction is going on (currently, ORD and PHL). One Day Passes are not available online.
Print Wikipost

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AAdmiral
[left]

When I purchased Lifetime membership in 1990 there was no internet. I bought my lifetime membership at a city AA ticket office for $2000 and wasn’t given a
even pre AA being on the internet, I suspect that you still filled some form in? by joining you would be agreeing to the terms of membership - whether you read them is up to you
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:36 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
even pre AA being on the internet, I suspect that you still filled some form in? by joining you would be agreeing to the terms of membership - whether you read them is up to you
Long before people ignored (or pretended not to see) clickwrap agreements, there were plenty of paper agreements they similarly ignored.
JDiver and SouthernCross like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS

That said, I've been traveling a lot for 20 years and have had club memberships with US, UA, NW, DL and AA over the years. I've never seen those meeting rooms actually being used. How often does this really happen at this point with airport security being what it is these days?
I’ve used them several times, though usually by myself if there’s a meeting/call I need to attend that’s during a layover. I refuse to have confidential conversations in an open room filled with strangers and the meeting rooms at clubs provide privacy and quite.
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
​​​​The amount of people using club not flying the airline is not that many people. I don’t think the policy is fair. Many will get around the restriction by buying a refundable ticket and then canceling flight. Most would do this infrequent not to show a trend.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Long before people ignored (or pretended not to see) clickwrap agreements, there were plenty of paper agreements they similarly ignored.
Even if not ignored - getting 29 years without any change is a pretty decent run - at $2000 for the membership, it works out at under $69 a year - indeed , reading conditions before signing does seem to be a rare trait
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AAdmiral
When I purchased Lifetime membership in 1990 there was no internet. ...
Odd. I was on the internet in the mid 80s, and I wasn't a pioneer. The World Wide Web ("the Web") began in 1989-90 but of course it took a few years for commercial use to explode.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Interesting -- it seems that this point:

​​​​​​was undermined by this one:

which would provide colleagues a roadmap to where to eavesdrop. Wouldn't “I have an offsite meeting scheduled this afternoon” suffice? The only ones with a need to know exactly where the employee is would be their management, who presumably already know about the counseling.
Thank you for your attempt to invalidate my actual experience, which I’ll cheerfully discard as non sequitur. I will admit I have no idea what they told their secretary, colleagues, etc. And no, most managers would not be aware of the counseling, as that’s confidential information. The CEO or COO, a very few restricted HR employees might.

The point is the Admirals Club conference room served me well for years as an off site place to conduct confidential business.

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
​​​​The amount of people using club not flying the airline is not that many people. I don’t think the policy is fair. Many will get around the restriction by buying a refundable ticket and then canceling flight. Most would do this infrequent not to show a trend.
I suspect AA will be a bit more alert about these following the change to day of flight access, given the C of C clearly states buying a ticket solely for access to airport facilities (without flying) is fraudulent and they may choose not to refund the ticket.

As to what’s fair, ethical, etc. AA typically has binding language such as this, in the current Club membership t & c:

Use of any Admirals Club lounge is subject to all rules, terms and conditions set by American, including, without limitation, all policies set forth in these terms and conditions. AMERICAN RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MODIFY ANY OR ALL RULES, TERMS AND CONDITIONS AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE. SUCH MODIFICATIONS SHALL BE EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY AND INCORPORATED INTO THIS AGREEMENT. YOUR CONTINUED USE OF ANY ADMIRALS CLUB LOUNGE OR YOUR ADMIRALS CLUB MEMBERSHIP SHALL BE DEEMED AN ACCEPTANCE THEREOF.
That’s how it is. (They also cancelled TWA Ambassador Club lifetime membership.) But If we’re dissatisfied, we can cancel our membership. If that occurs sufficiently to lose significant revenue, perhaps AA will rethink some of their new policies.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 6, 2019 at 10:44 pm
Old Sep 7, 2019, 12:03 am

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by mvoight
Which flight from ORD to NRT arrives the next day?
All of them.
GadgetFreak and robertablake like this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 12:04 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
AA announced this well in advance so those for whom this would be an issue could not renew. I'm 100% in support of this to minimize overcrowding.
As someone who has paid for membership for over 35 years, I am 100% in favor of solving the overcrowding by limiting access to only those who have a paid membership card. No one else would have a right to complain. The fact that YOU (and others) might prefer the method chosen by AA doesn't mean that you (or AA) are correct.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: UA MP Premier Gold (Life), Hyatt Explorer, Various other hotel FS pgms
Trying to get back on topic: I've been a lifetime member since 1985. I originally purchased this membership with the USAir Club. For 34 years I could get entry into the appropriate clubs w/ a guest and w/o any issues. Today, I do not fly American very often (more convenient ways from my home town now), but I do use their club regularly at GRU (far better than the *A lounge across the hall where I would be if only using my boarding pass). To me, this change to require a same day boarding pass amounts to virtually nullifying my AC lifetime membership. It's true the Ts&Cs state that they can make any changes they want at any time, but is there no limit? If the overcrowding issue is not resolved by this announced change, then maybe the next step will be to limit the amount of time one can spend in the lounge, say 30 minutes? It doesn't make sense to prohibit/limit club members from entering/staying to provide them with the lounge experience they deserve. And to anyone who says, "you've got your money's worth over the years, so you should be satisfied," I say that I bought a lifetime membership and my lifetime is far from over as I expect to be flying another 20 years. Adding this limitation after 34 years just doesn't seem right to me. Does anyone have any serious ideas how to fight this change?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
In theory, US/AA could have terminated the lifetime memberships while in bankruptcy since the membership is, in effect, a contract. I guess we should at least be happy that didn't happen during any of the three (or four if you count HP) bankruptcies over the last 20 years.

When did US/AA stop selling lifetime memberships? How many people are impacted by this?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbrower
As someone who has paid for membership for over 35 years, I am 100% in favor of solving the overcrowding by limiting access to only those who have a paid membership card. No one else would have a right to complain. The fact that YOU (and others) might prefer the method chosen by AA doesn't mean that you (or AA) are correct.
Actually, it does, since AA sets the rules. AA is correct by default based on the T&Cs.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
As a person who purchased lifetime memberships in both the AA and US Air clubs, I have been pleasantly surprised with the improvement in benefits through the years; especially the free food and alcohol. As I recall, my lifetime membership on US Air cost $1000. Probably other lifetime members paid much less.
I think it is understood that membership is always subject to the current rules of the club. To contend that nothing should change on club rules on a lifetime membership would also mean that enhancements could be denied to lifetime members.
USFlyerUS likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 12:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by dickinson
As a person who purchased lifetime memberships in both the AA and US Air clubs, I have been pleasantly surprised with the improvement in benefits through the years; especially the free food and alcohol. As I recall, my lifetime membership on US Air cost $1000. Probably other lifetime members paid much less.
I think it is understood that membership is always subject to the current rules of the club. To contend that nothing should change on club rules on a lifetime membership would also mean that enhancements could be denied to lifetime members.
This is a good point. And I am NOT one of the life time members (although, having paid for 35 years, annually, I should have been.) I am not claiming that AA can't change the rules - I am claiming that I disagree with the decision.However, since a substantial portion of my travel is on AA, that doesn't mean that I won't renew again - it just means that I disagree.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by stanscan
If the overcrowding issue is not resolved by this announced change, then maybe the next step will be to limit the amount of time one can spend in the lounge, say 30 minutes?
It's rather obvious that permitting club access with possession of certain credit cards caused the overcrowding problem. Clubs were never crowded prior to that nexus. Locking out the small number of Lifetime Members will be virtually unnoticeable in fixing overcrowding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.