Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Admirals Club access rules for members changed, membership costs increased 1 November 2019.

Changes to membership link to this page on aa.com

Access changes

Starting November 1, 2019

Boarding passes for same-day travel on American Airlines or partner airlines are required for entry.1

1 Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines, marketed and operated by any oneworld® partner carrier, or marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
This is true regardless of membership type, excluding lifetime members. Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® Authorized Users must fulfill the same requirements. (Lifetime Admirals Club members may access Admirals Clubs even if they’re flying non-AA partners, e.g. Southwest, United.)

Declared Business Purposes or rental of a conference facility without a same day boarding pass will not suffice to allow access.

As far as we know, authorized guests accompanying a member do not have to present a same day boarding pass.

No discount is available for a household membership, which will cost $600 regardless of the sponsoring guest’s AAdvantage status.

One Day Passes are available at $59 per person, available for purchase at all Clubs except those where Club refurbishment or construction is going on (currently, ORD and PHL). One Day Passes are not available online.
Print Wikipost

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I remember that ten years ago (LAA) the ACs had little in the way of complimentary food. Mushy apples and maybe stale bagels (I used to think that the LGA AC got them local restaurants throwing out food) for breakfast and nothing but pretzels for lunch and dinner time. No complimentary booze. So the ACs have come a long way and membership costs haven't gone up dramatically. So I have no issue with a $50 price increase. The biggest issue is that the everyone can come in with some type of credit card has made the lounges crowded, particularly at peak times and/or during irregular operations.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I remember that ten years ago (LAA) the ACs had little in the way of complimentary food. Mushy apples and maybe stale bagels (I used to think that the LGA AC got them local restaurants throwing out food) for breakfast and nothing but pretzels for lunch and dinner time. No complimentary booze. So the ACs have come a long way and membership costs haven't gone up dramatically. So I have no issue with a $50 price increase. The biggest issue is that the everyone can come in with some type of credit card has made the lounges crowded, particularly at peak times and/or during irregular operations.
I largely agree with you. However, at least for Citi cardholders that would be a $100 increase, not $50. And the challenge for my wife and I is that we don't necessarily use the AAdmirals Club that much and of course on international flights we have access via status. And I have on occasion used the lounge when flying United, if my employer required it, and I valued using the club in AUS (all one terminal there, no access issues). So for our household the cost has largely been "worth" it and in the noise margin, but as causal users there is a price point where I'll likely balk...

Regards
GTITAN likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by scubadu
I largely agree with you. However, at least for Citi cardholders that would be a $100 increase, not $50. And the challenge for my wife and I is that we don't necessarily use the AAdmirals Club that much and of course on international flights we have access via status. And I have on occasion used the lounge when flying United, if my employer required it, and I valued using the club in AUS (all one terminal there, no access issues). So for our household the cost has largely been "worth" it and in the noise margin, but as causal users there is a price point where I'll likely balk...

Regards
I really hope that there is no price increase, but if they were to increase it would seem for we Citi holders that it ought be $50 to match the increase on the other side and not to bring even, but what do I know?

Safe Travels
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Let's get our facts straight:

Access requirements and eligibility information:

A valid United Club membership card and boarding pass for same-day travel

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx

United does not require that the boarding pass be on UA or a partner. HUGE DIFFERENCE.
Is that not just an error on their part (UA) ? While it just says boarding pass, don't they really mean United? And not just a boarding pass for any airline?
They have asked me for my boarding pass when I've used a one-day pass in the past year or two. I assume they meant UA and would have told me to get lost if I presented a boarding pass from another airline (like AA or WN).
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by BobOscar
Is that not just an error on their part (UA) ? While it just says boarding pass, don't they really mean United? And not just a boarding pass for any airline?
They have asked me for my boarding pass when I've used a one-day pass in the past year or two. I assume they meant UA and would have told me to get lost if I presented a boarding pass from another airline (like AA or WN).
That was my assumption too, however, it's been pointed out to me upthread that in the United Club terms and conditions page, it states:
United reserves the right to limit access and only allow entry to members with a same-day boarding pass. All United Club customers, including members, are eligible to access United Club locations only when they have a flight arriving or departing on any airline the same day, and must show a boarding pass for entry.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by Airrage
No more fiddling than the people too cool to use the paper. I fly a lot. And I always have my paper boarding pass. Electronic is strictly backup. And pretty much every day some cool guy in front of me is holding up the line beamcause his **** phone timed out. Ridiculous.
I always use paper. You want me to place my phone that I put up to the side of my face on top of a device that that everyone has placed their phones on (that have been up to their faces)? No thanks.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
I always use paper. You want me to place my phone that I put up to the side of my face on top of a device that that everyone has placed their phones on (that have been up to their faces)? No thanks.
YMMV obviously, but I can't even remember the last time I held my phone up to my face. It's been months.

Besides, all but one of the last dozen club visits have been to clubs with Mobile Entry anyway, so all I had to do was hold my phone up to the agent so they could see the screen. Hopefully that functionality is staying -- the app already determines that the user has an active check-in/boarding pass to determine which buttons to display, so I'm sure that could be tweaked to determine if they have a same day pass in order to show/hide the mobile entry option.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:45 pm

Protip: you don't have to touch your phone to the scanner. The scanner is sending out beams of light that reflect off your phone, so holding it a couple of inches away from the scanner works totally fine.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by BobOscar
It's not an error on their part, they really mean any airline. In addition to the formal Terms and Conditions, there's also a post from UA Insider, an official company representative, explicitly stating any carrier:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone, some answers for you on this new policy:

What about meetings/conference rooms? Will gate passes still be issued?
Customers can still reserve a conference room to use, with or without a same-day boarding pass. We will no longer issue gate passes for other uses.

What about access after a redeye flight? Will this qualify as a "same-day" BP?
Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club after arriving off of a redeye flight.

Will I be able to come in if I’m flying on another carrier?
Yes, you may use a same-day boarding pass on any carrier.

What if my flight departs early in the morning, the following day (e.g. 12:30am)?
Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club.
-UA Insider
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy
YMMV obviously, but I can't even remember the last time I held my phone up to my face. It's been months.

Besides, all but one of the last dozen club visits have been to clubs with Mobile Entry anyway, so all I had to do was hold my phone up to the agent so they could see the screen. Hopefully that functionality is staying -- the app already determines that the user has an active check-in/boarding pass to determine which buttons to display, so I'm sure that could be tweaked to determine if they have a same day pass in order to show/hide the mobile entry option.
Have you held with your hands?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by jordyn
Protip: you don't have to touch your phone to the scanner. The scanner is sending out beams of light that reflect off your phone, so holding it a couple of inches away from the scanner works totally fine.
Yeah, I just don't do it at all. I hand the paper to someone. They scribble something on it at security. They do something else with it at the AC. Then it beeps when I scan it to get on the plane. Seems to work every time.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Have you held with your hands?
no.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:49 pm

Yeah, I just don't do it at all. I hand the paper to someone. They scribble something on it at security. They do something else with it at the AC. Then it beeps when I scan it to get on the plane. Seems to work every time.
Yeah, I know these new technologies can be pretty confusing, but I hear tell that these new eye phones and robot phones can make it through security without someone even scribbling on them, and every once in a while someone with one of these mobile boarding passes even makes it all the way on the plane.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by jordyn
Yeah, I know these new technologies can be pretty confusing, but I hear tell that these new eye phones and robot phones can make it through security without someone even scribbling on them, and every once in a while someone with one of these mobile boarding passes even makes it all the way on the plane.
PHL is my home base. I've seen the neanderthals at Pre√ tell people to place your phone on the reader. GA's the same. I'm good. Thanks for your concern.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Gary Leff of View From the Wing is now reporting that the alleged increase in the fee of the Citi AC card to $550 isn't true based upon what he's been told (as opposed to what Citi told me and others), but he's a bit higher up the industry food chain than me.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...m-dysfunction/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.