Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Admirals Club access rules for members changed, membership costs increased 1 November 2019.

Changes to membership link to this page on aa.com

Access changes

Starting November 1, 2019

Boarding passes for same-day travel on American Airlines or partner airlines are required for entry.1

1 Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines, marketed and operated by any oneworld® partner carrier, or marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
This is true regardless of membership type, excluding lifetime members. Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® Authorized Users must fulfill the same requirements. (Lifetime Admirals Club members may access Admirals Clubs even if they’re flying non-AA partners, e.g. Southwest, United.)

Declared Business Purposes or rental of a conference facility without a same day boarding pass will not suffice to allow access.

As far as we know, authorized guests accompanying a member do not have to present a same day boarding pass.

No discount is available for a household membership, which will cost $600 regardless of the sponsoring guest’s AAdvantage status.

One Day Passes are available at $59 per person, available for purchase at all Clubs except those where Club refurbishment or construction is going on (currently, ORD and PHL). One Day Passes are not available online.
Print Wikipost

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I was at PHX low A gate AC yesterday for several hours (and yes thereby not helping the crowded situation). What I noticed that with the banking of flights the club got out of control crowded then suddenly dead again, repeat and rinse I assume all day long. During the crowded times people couldn't find 2 seats together and the bathrooms were utterly disgusting. The latter issue not the fault of the staff there's just no way to keep up with a constant flow of people into the bathroom. I've also noticed the same at the MIA ACs albeit having E closed down also adds to the overcrowding in the afternoon. At least the FL lounge takes away some of the crowd.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
I was just there a week or so ago at C/D on night of tornadoes here in CLT and first time ever had to sit on the floor. By the by, anyone with Amex PLT or in the permitted card access family, the Centurion Lounge is opening in CLT on Monday 2-24-20 according to TPG and others. Looking forward.

Safe Travels
Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbrower
I called Aadmiral's Club yesterday (to check on getting my refund based on getting the Citi card.) I told them that after being a paying member for 36 years of the Aadmiral's Club (a lounge for which I paid about $450 a year), instead of getting a good feeling about AA when I see and Admiral's Club, I get a negative feeling about AA. Why? I have recently had occasion to fly some other airlines (such as JetBlue which shares Terminal 5 at LAX) and, when I looked at the lounge for which I had paid money, I was not allowed to enter by the new rules. Do I accept the right of AA to change the rules? Yes, sometimes they even got better (like better food, more drinks, etc.). But that doesn't mean I need to agree with the change.
FWIW I don't think AA is really going to care what thoughts you have about them when you're flying a different airline.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Originally Posted by CMK10
FWIW I don't think AA is really going to care what thoughts you have about them when you're flying a different airline.
I am sure you are very correct, but some people think that the relationship of an annually paid club membership should be viewed differently than that of a transactional, per-flight relationship.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Beachfun71
I am sure you are very correct, but some people think that the relationship of an annually paid club membership should be viewed differently than that of a transactional, per-flight relationship.
And that is exactly my point. The price of the club was based on my overall loyalty (I think I paid $50/year less as a Platinum), but it was an ancillary service for use when I was in the airport. Just as the Centurion Club doesn't require that I be on a flight paid with the Amex card (although, given how crowded they are, maybe they should make that change also).
Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Beachfun71
Some people may very well desire to think that, but as it turns out, the entity offering said access is the party that actually sets the terms. The "buyer" of course doesn't have to buy if those terms do not work for them any longer. Furthermore, I think the idea that these are "membership clubs" is pretty dated. There is a history as to why airlines in the US created a "membership club" systems for their lounges (relative to the rest of world). I won't repeat that here but its easy enough to research. Suffice it to say, at this point, domestic lounge access on the big 3 US carriers is simply paid access to a lounge when meeting the terms and conditions set forth for said access. People can not like that and certainly choose to opt out, but that is the new world we live in and given the ever increasing number of people choosing to fly each year, it's not likely to change back.

Regards
Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sbrower
And that is exactly my point. The price of the club was based on my overall loyalty (I think I paid $50/year less as a Platinum), but it was an ancillary service for use when I was in the airport. Just as the Centurion Club doesn't require that I be on a flight paid with the Amex card (although, given how crowded they are, maybe they should make that change also).
The key word you used in your reply is "was" Each year that you paid for access you received what the current terms and conditions in effect provided for at the time. You got what you paid for. Now the terms and conditions have changed. You can, of course, choose to not accept those conditions and to opt out, but the fact that you paid for something "for a long time" doesn't somehow indemnify you from changes to terms and conditions going forward.

I'm perplexed by the number of people on FT that continue to try to play the "loyalty card" Unfortunately, that ship has long since sailed my friend...

And yes, there will almost certainly more changes in Amex Centurion Lounges as well, given the continued strong demand and the inability to bring crowding under control. None of these decisions/policies will be driven by "loyalty."

Regards
Old Feb 17, 2021, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by MrCoffee
I wondered about this, since I sometimes use my father's D3 passes. (He's retired)

Here was their response:

If you have the CITI Executive World Elite credit card you will have access to the Admirals Club.

As a D-3 pass rider you are given a boarding pass in order to get through security. You won't have a seat assignment until you board the aircraft. You would show this boarding pass at the Admirals club showing you are traveling on American.
Has the been confirmed recently? Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.