Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Anyone at DFW today? Lounge access and disabilities

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone at DFW today? Lounge access and disabilities

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:11 am
Original Poster

(Update: now solved) Anyone at DFW today? Lounge access and disabilities

My husband and I arrived at DFW a little while ago with an approx 12 hour stopover. Unfortunately we are having difficulties with lounge access and I wondered if anyone here might be able to help?

I have access to the Flagship AA lounge etc. through class of travel and I am silver/oneworld sapphire as of my last flight, but the system hasn’t updated yet. My husband is flying economy so doesn’t have lounge access in his own right.

I have complex disabilities and I use a wheelchair, so I need someone to push me inside the lounge and help me (fetch drinks and food, lift bags etc. and also assistance with showering etc,) usually airlines are happy to let my husband into the lounge to do this, but AA won’t and aren’t offering any alternative assistance, so I can’t get into the lounge with nobody to push me.

If by chance any kind silver or gold person happens to be at DFW terminal D today and would be willing to guest my husband into the lounge we would be extremely grateful. Alternatively if anyone would be willing to push my wheelchair into the lounge so I can get something to eat there that would be great.

edit: update to say that it is now solved and I have just been informed my husband will now be allowed in. Thank you to everyone.

Last edited by Deniedboardinghelp; Sep 10, 2019 at 11:42 am
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

You're probably best asking on the AA forum.
Deniedboardinghelp likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You're probably best asking on the AA forum.
That’s a good point! I am going to blame lack of sleep for not having thought of that!

edit: I am on a BA ticket but I doubt that makes any difference,
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Apologies, just seeing this now I boarded the plane... i was there 1h back.

AA forum will be able to help you
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Deniedboardinghelp
That’s a good point! I am going to blame lack of sleep for not having thought of that!

edit: I am on a BA ticket but I doubt that makes any difference,
Its the operative carrier rules that matter especially as this is an AA flight and you don’t have status.

pretty poor for AA not to admit your husband though if you have access otherwise if you have specific care needs.

also it takes 4-5 days for status to update - approx 2 for the TPa to post and then a couple more for new status to kick in

(I’ve asked a mod to move this to the AA board)
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:09 am

Unless a good Samaritan FTer steps in, best way to get quick visibility is to publicly live tweet @ AA.
RoyalFlush and KRSW like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Why not just purchase a day pass for your husband and deal with a refund request later? From your moniker...it appears that this is not the first time you have been inconvenienced.
Redhead and RoyalFlush like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
pretty poor for AA not to admit your husband though if you have access otherwise if you have specific care needs.
Unfortunately AA are proving to be pretty poor in general during this trip. For example after my last flight landed I asked a flight attendant if she could tell me whether my wheelchair had arrived at the gate for me to get off the plane and she told me to go down to the door and find out myself (not easy when you have mobility problems!) It wasn’t because she was busy either as she was just sat down looking at her phone. When my husband reached me (I was sitting in first class and he was further back) he went to investigate and then attendant at the plane door didn’t want to let him back on to fetch me.

This AA experience is making me feel very grateful for all the lovely people at BA, Alaska, Hawaiian, Virgin and Delta that I have flown with in the last few years and have been so fantastic on board and in the lounges and so helpful with my disabilities.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by david55
Why not just purchase a day pass for your husband and deal with a refund request later? From your moniker...it appears that this is not the first time you have been inconvenienced.
We asked but apparently they don’t do that. We will look into other lounges.

(My username is from a huge fiasco that happened last year. Travelling with disabilities does seem to carry extra risk of things going wrong.)
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I'm assuming the OP is BA and ordinary I'd tell her to call BA, explain the situation and see if they could automatically post miles and update status. But with the BA strike getting through to CS is probably near impossible. The other option would be for the OP to purchase a day pass. Possibly the front desk would give her a break on the cost for a second person due to the situation.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP should demand that AA send their complaint resolution officer (these exact words, a position that airlines are required to have available 24/7, usually in person at major airports, to be an expert problem solver in knowing the regulations and forcing compliance for Air Carrier Access Act (disability) issues) to assist. The alternative would be for AA to provide a wheelchair pusher or other staff member to help you around the lounge for the remainder of your connection time, which I suspect they don't want to do when your husband is able and willing to help.

The CRO can also take a complaint to help to ensure that the FA who behaved so badly is retrained.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:54 am

Do the DFW Hyatt properties offer day rates? Might they be able to make an exception if asked in person? For a 12-hour layover, this might be the most logical path given the circumstances.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OP should demand that AA send their complaint resolution officer (these exact words, a position that airlines are required to have available 24/7, usually in person at major airports, to be an expert problem solver in knowing the regulations and forcing compliance for Air Carrier Access Act (disability) issues) to assist. The alternative would be for AA to provide a wheelchair pusher or other staff member to help you around the lounge for the remainder of your connection time, which I suspect they don't want to do when your husband is able and willing to help.

The CRO can also take a complaint to help to ensure that the FA who behaved so badly is retrained.
We went back and asked if either my husband could just push me in and set me up with some food and then leave and that wasn’t allowed, so we asked to speak to the CRO and were told that that wasn’t allowed either and that the CRO would not be able to help me, so they weren’t willing to contact him

they did agree to have the desk agent push me in and sit me by the food and fetch a cup of tea, so that is something I guess. So I am in the lounge now, but without husband. Probably this isn’t the best as I am at risk of having seizures when tired, but I’m not going to tell them that as there would be a risk they might decide to revoke my fitness to fly or something. I can walk some with my stick so I will be able to get some food and in my experience people are generally super kind and will offer to help me if I look like I need it so I should be fine to get some food etc.

I do plan to make a formal complaint after I get home, about the lack of help (and basic courtesy) on board and the fact that they refused to contact the CRO when directly asked.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Deniedboardinghelp
We went back and asked if either my husband could just push me in and set me up with some food and then leave and that wasn’t allowed, so we asked to speak to the CRO and were told that that wasn’t allowed either and that the CRO would not be able to help me, so they weren’t willing to contact him

they did agree to have the desk agent push me in and sit me by the food and fetch a cup of tea, so that is something I guess. So I am in the lounge now, but without husband. Probably this isn’t the best as I am at risk of having seizures when tired, but I’m not going to tell them that as there would be a risk they might decide to revoke my fitness to fly or something. I can walk some with my stick so I will be able to get some food and in my experience people are generally super kind and will offer to help me if I look like I need it so I should be fine to get some food etc.

I do plan to make a formal complaint after I get home, about the lack of help (and basic courtesy) on board and the fact that they refused to contact the CRO when directly asked.
IANAL and I'm not an expert on this, but USA regulations require that a CRO be available 24/7, at least by phone, and that the customer be permitted to talk with the CRO upon request. The lounge might have a way out if they claim to not be part of the airline, perhaps with the lounge agent not being an AA employee, so you might have to approach a GA in the airport at an AA gate for CRO access.

You might want to explore the FT forum dedicated to travelers with special needs.

Please report the refusal to contact a CRO.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by david55
They offer daypasses to the Admirals Clubs but not the Flagship Lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.