Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seat etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seat etc.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by T8191
OK, so I'm scraping Matrix for a probable DUB-OGG next summer. We've done HNL twice, and a fair bit of other US travel too [see my signature].

What's with the Matrix answer about "A321 (Sharklets)"? I don't buy a Domestic First seat based on the shape on the wing

Possible option is DUB-CLT-LAX-OGG in late July, booking A-I-P and the reverse. Having found my rear end and legs really don't enjoy AA's Dom F for more than about 3 hours, I'm guessing that there's no chance of flat-bedding on CLT-LAX? Like - too short a sector?

I/we can just about cope with the Cattle Truck F return OGG-PHX-CLT in 757/A321 [without Sharklets]. At least the TATL is A330, which we like.

Any views/comments?
Not sure how it relates to wing shape... but if your priority is to get a flat bed seat on the transcon (or even over the water), and depending on schedules AM/PM, and again priority of flat bed over flight length or maybe cost:

You could not use CLT and fly into BOS or JFK from where AA has flat beds into LAX. Or, if you must use CLT, don't do CLT-LAX but instead do CLT-DFW from where there are (some days) flat beds on DFW-OGG.

On the return, the same, fly OGG-DFW not OGG-PHX. Instead of using an East Coast hub, fly DFW to Europe and use a Europe hub (like MAD) to get to DUB.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thanks, canyonleo, that opens a few options [even if it doesn't explain the Sharklets cr@p]

Starting from JER tends to complicate, but I won't bore you with that ... other than DUB is a good start-point [especially with the pre-clearance facility]. DUB-BOS/JFK is certainly an option, or even the DFW one ... but HOW do I know how 2 Seniors are going to get a comfortable flight when all Matrix/AA will tell me is that the wing-tips are really interesting!!
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by T8191
Thanks, canyonleo, that opens a few options [even if it doesn't explain the Sharklets cr@p]

Starting from JER tends to complicate, but I won't bore you with that ... other than DUB is a good start-point [especially with the pre-clearance facility]. DUB-BOS/JFK is certainly an option, or even the DFW one ... but HOW do I know how 2 Seniors are going to get a comfortable flight when all Matrix/AA will tell me is that the wing-tips are really interesting!!
If it is not JFK-LAX/SFO and vice versa or the occasional JFK-BOS and vice versa flight, your plane with sharklets is the LAA 321 with in seat AVOD and power on a normal domestic first seat. If it is a 321 without sharklets, it is a LUS plane without power and with streaming IFE only. Basically, on your proposed route, there is a zero chance of getting lay flat seats.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
If it is not JFK-LAX/SFO and vice versa or the occasional JFK-BOS and vice versa flight, your plane with sharklets is the LAA 321 with in seat AVOD and power on a normal domestic first seat. If it is a 321 without sharklets, it is a LUS plane without power and with streaming IFE only. Basically, on your proposed route, there is a zero chance of getting lay flat seats.
OK, that's clear enough! Thank you ^
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by asf-07
As noted by others, only a small portion of the fleet has seat-back IFE. There is no movement towards adding this towards any aircraft already in the fleet... these seat-back IFE screens only exist on new deliveries.

I believe N939NN and higher have them. There is no way to definitively know until for sure in advance - aircraft swaps happen early & often.
Was on a newer AA319 that had the IFE on the seatback, was a nice change.

Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
I would rather AA invest in better seats or other comforts instead of IFE systems since most of us have our own IFE systems like iPads and laptops.
Having flown both types, I would rather AA equipped all aircraft the same way with the seatback screens, there is more content on the seatback planes then just wifi.

Originally Posted by jcfla
Only the LUS Airbus fleet is dark. The LAA Airbus fleet has individual IFE screens. Both types are equipped with sharklets. For 319s it would be fleet numbers 001-032. For the 321s, it's registrations ending in -NN, -EE, -AA, -AL, -AM, -AN, and -AU.
Not true, not too sure why people say this.

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
The older 738 versions are getting the leather seat covers, but that is the only change in the works for those aircraft. I've also heard this may be happening to the LUS A321s (haven't seen any of those myself yet) and again, that's the only update being made to those aircraft as well.
Was on a US A321 that had new seats, they aren't recovered seats, but new seats, now the 738s are getting recovered seats, at least they look nicer then the old fabric seats.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA lifetime platinum; Hyatt diamond;
Question on upgrading for flight to Maui (A321T)

Hi,

I am looking for ticket from SFO to OGG for next June and am trying to purchase economy class and use 500-miles upgrade to upgrade to premium cabin. I noticed AA has A321T, 3-cabin flight between LAX and OGG. My question is: 1) which booking code indicates business class upgraded from economy? 2) Is the booking code the same for business class upgraded by using 500-miles upgrade and upgraded by Business ExtrAA regional upgrade (BXP1)?

I called AA and an agent told me it's A class, which I feel not too confident. I also checked expertflyer - there are A class for most days in next June but no C, X or R class in any day.

Thanks

BTW... It's difficult to look for cheap business class to Hawaii, especially my family needs 5 seats
Old Oct 30, 2016, 5:31 pm

AA doesn't fly the A321T to Hawaii. They fly the A321H. This is a 2 class A321 in the same configugartion as the other 2 class (LAA) A321 with 16 (regular domestic) F seats.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA lifetime platinum; Hyatt diamond;
Thanks. You are right. I checked seat map on AA website and it's 2 cabin class flight. Seatguru showed 3 cabin A321T and I did not verify on AA website. My bad.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by Djokison
AA doesn't fly the A321T to Hawaii. They fly the A321H. This is a 2 class A321 in the same configugartion as the other 2 class (LAA) A321 with 16 (regular domestic) F seats.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Is first on AA (32B) preferable to HA (A330)?

Sorry for the lame question but I'm frantically trying to get tix for my brother's honeymoon in Hawaii next week -- is there a better option between AA and HA? Based on seating configurations, they look similar.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by fishee
Sorry for the lame question but I'm frantically trying to get tix for my brother's honeymoon in Hawaii next week -- is there a better option between AA and HA? Based on seating configurations, they look similar.
What class?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Microwave
What class?
sorry, it was in my original title. First class, LAX-HNL.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:02 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
sorry, it was in my original title. First class, LAX-HNL.
The AA seats are standard domestic first class seats. Don't know about Hawaiian.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Definitely not preferable over Hawaiian. Even if it's the old HA A330 seats, they're still better than the ones on AAs A321H.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:23 am
Suspended

Is this with money or miles? If your buying tix and assuming there's no reason for them to be on any particular carrier, Delta is the best option by far, 2-3 a day w/ full lie-flat seats LAX-HNL, some (but not all) days next week very reasonably priced as well.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Is this with money or miles? If your buying tix and assuming there's no reason for them to be on any particular carrier, Delta is the best option by far, 2-3 a day w/ full lie-flat seats LAX-HNL, some (but not all) days next week very reasonably priced as well.
If using miles I would say DL is the best through Korean Airlines. Nice widebody with flat bed both ways. Now I'm not too sure why they have the return flight leaving 6.5 hours later and not an hour or 2 later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.