Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seat etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seat etc.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
All the 737s have some version of IFE. Majority have the overhead screens, power plugs and wifi. Only a small number have the individual screens instead of the overhead screens.
And all their airbii are dark
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, National EE
Originally Posted by enviroian
Only the LUS Airbus fleet is dark. The LAA Airbus fleet has individual IFE screens. Both types are equipped with sharklets. For 319s it would be fleet numbers 001-032. For the 321s, it's registrations ending in -NN, -EE, -AA, -AL, -AM, -AN, and -AU.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
not.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Some AA A319 and A321's do indeed have AVOD. I was on what looked like a new (or newly refurbished) A319 LAX-AUS with almost a plush seat in F and a good sized touch screen monitor.

That said, Airbus isn't the question here, it is the B737. There's other threads about the other equipment.

And back to the OP...
For a BOS-LAX flight where you're nearly guaranteed F, I'd get 2 stickers in a heartbeat. Well I have so many that I can't seem to use that I just always request.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I'm not aware of any AVOD 738s being assigned to certain routes or based at certain hubs. It seems to be luck of the draw of getting AVOD on a 738. However, in my recent trip last week, two of my flights were on AVOD 738s: AUS-ORD on 10/18 and BOS-DFW on 10/22.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by Austin787
I'm not aware of any AVOD 738s being assigned to certain routes or based at certain hubs. It seems to be luck of the draw of getting AVOD on a 738. However, in my recent trip last week, two of my flights were on AVOD 738s: AUS-ORD on 10/18 and BOS-DFW on 10/22.
They're certainly not based here in PHX. I've never actually flown on one and it seems I often get the older ones with the old, thick F seats.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
They're certainly not based here in PHX. I've never actually flown on one and it seems I often get the older ones with the old, thick F seats.
Old thick F seats? Those have been gone since 2012. They have the same Weber articulating recline seats, just in gray leather not blue fabric.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by aztimm
Some AA A319 and A321's do indeed have AVOD. I was on what looked like a new (or newly refurbished) A319 LAX-AUS with almost a plush seat in F and a good sized touch screen monitor.
I don't think most would call the slimline Y seats plush. None of the refurbished frames have AVOD, only newly delivered 319s with Sharklets that came to LAA directly from the factory 2013-2015 have them. The new management scaled back the A319 orders once the large mass of LUS frames came on through the merger.

Originally Posted by aztimm
And back to the OP...
For a BOS-LAX flight where you're nearly guaranteed F, I'd get 2 stickers in a heartbeat. Well I have so many that I can't seem to use that I just always request.
BOS-LAX is actually a very difficult upgrade, especially with small 738s on the route. Only a few years ago we consistently had multiple 757s and 763s on the route everyday.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by asf-07
As noted by others, only a small portion of the fleet has seat-back IFE. There is no movement towards adding this towards any aircraft already in the fleet... these seat-back IFE screens only exist on new deliveries.

I believe N939NN and higher have them. There is no way to definitively know until for sure in advance - aircraft swaps happen early & often.
This is the breakdown of the current fleet:

(1) Original 78 (minus one total loss in KIN 12/2009) N901AN/3AA-N978AN/3DL

(2) 73D No BSI but expanded overhead bins (April 2009) N979AN/3DN-N866NN/3GX

(3) BSI Non-AVOD N867NN/3HA-N938NN/3LB

(4) BSI+AVOD N939NN/3LC++

You can identify them by asking an employee willing to the entry on DECS or check flightstats.com event timeline.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I'm a DL flyer but I do know that AAs 738s are very inconsistent. There are 3 versions of them (not seating chart wise)
-Regular 738 (Overhead TVs, standerd bins) most common
-738 w/Boeing Sky Interior (Overhead TVs, mood lighting)
-738 w/BSI and AVOD (AVOD, mood lighting, ISP, leather seats)
There is no way to tell if you are on a new 738 until 24 hours out. They are N939NN and above. There are more of them based on the west cost.
The older 738 versions are getting the leather seat covers, but that is the only change in the works for those aircraft. I've also heard this may be happening to the LUS A321s (haven't seen any of those myself yet) and again, that's the only update being made to those aircraft as well.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
The older 738 versions are getting the leather seat covers, but that is the only change in the works for those aircraft. I've also heard this may be happening to the LUS A321s (haven't seen any of those myself yet) and again, that's the only update being made to those aircraft as well.
Unfortunate. The pleather seat covers suck.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
Unfortunate. The pleather seat covers suck.
Better than the hideous blue leather seat covers DL hastily put on the PM-NW fleet.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Better than the hideous blue leather seat covers DL hastily put on the PM-NW fleet.
In my experience they're equally uncomfortable and sweat-inducing.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Fortunately they are being phased out and will be all gone next year.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Dumb Brit Question

OK, so I'm scraping Matrix for a probable DUB-OGG next summer. We've done HNL twice, and a fair bit of other US travel too [see my signature].

What's with the Matrix answer about "A321 (Sharklets)"? I don't buy a Domestic First seat based on the shape on the wing

Possible option is DUB-CLT-LAX-OGG in late July, booking A-I-P and the reverse. Having found my rear end and legs really don't enjoy AA's Dom F for more than about 3 hours, I'm guessing that there's no chance of flat-bedding on CLT-LAX? Like - too short a sector?

I/we can just about cope with the Cattle Truck F return OGG-PHX-CLT in 757/A321 [without Sharklets]. At least the TATL is A330, which we like.

Any views/comments?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.