Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seat etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seat etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Arrow ARCHIVE: 2016 HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seat etc.

Just flew ORD-MAD on IB. I found the seat to be really good, I was able to sleep comfortably on my side or on my back and being 6'1 I still had enough room for my legs and feet. Food wise I was not very impressed, only three entree choices and my one wasn't very good, also the pre-arrival breakfast was minimal. Service, however, was very impressive as was the liquor and wine selection.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Go with IB

Far more experienced FTers have already shared their wisdom above but here is another vote for IB J. If you can get F on the old AA 777-200s, I would go with that. IB's hard product beats AA's NGBC seats anyday. If you speak castellano, the FAs also appear to be much nicer.

See of you can drink Old y Plus Jerez on IB. Amazing stuff.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 12:56 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by JDiver
Offered the same route on AA old 772 or IB A330, I'd not hesitate to take Iberia. Plus you go nonstop, a very good incentive.
+1 @:-)
Old Jan 2, 2016, 3:08 am

+2
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: AA: EXP/5.2mm
BOS-LAX: Worth connecting in JFK for 321T?

I need to travel from BOS to LAX and my company will pay for First Class (or Business).

Option A: I can purchase a non-stop BOS-LAX flight in F, although the departure times are not ideal. I would like to depart early afternoon but there is no such flight. The only option that works is a 430ish departure - later than I would prefer.

Option B: Instead, I could travel BOS-JFK-LAX departing at my preferred time (arriving into LAX about one hour earlier than the nonstop). This is a little better timing-wise, but obviously does add a connection.

I understand that the JFK-LAX leg often (perhaps always?) is on one of the three-class 321T's. I have never flown on one of these aircraft.

For those who have experience on the 321T's, would you say it is worth it to add the connection? Or would you instead recommend sticking with the nonstop (even with less-than-ideal timing)?

Also, if I do travel JFK-LAX, am I assured of being on one of the 321T's? Or does AA use that aircraft for only some (but not all) of the JFK-LAX flights?
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Personally, I would take the connection and fly the A321T.

JFK to LAX (and SFO for that matter) are always A321Ts.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:55 am

Definitely worth it IMO, especially since you haven't experienced it yet. It's a solid hard product and hopefully you will get one of the better transcon crews that will make it a wonderful experience all around. Since even the timing works better for your schedule --- go for it! ^
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
BOS-LAX: Worth connecting in JFK for 321T?

Agreed with everyone else. Do the connection and fly the A321T.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:57 am

If the timing works better for you, go for it. I generally won't add connections when a non-stop is available, but if the 1-stop times out better for you I don't see why not. The premium flight is an added bonus there.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 10:07 am

The 321T is a great plane to fly and more often than not the crews deliver good service. If it were me I'd take the connection in JFK. You'll be able to access the flagship lounge in JFK too.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I don't understand why an earlier departure would make a connecting option more desirable-?

Also check the fares- up front on the JFK service can be $$$.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
It would be time of year dependent. You have to figure in probability of weather delays.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I like the 321T. Do be aware that AA prices out A321T J and F at a premium price level.

What is $1100 non-stop out of BOS is likely going to be $2000 through JFK.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyInORD
Personally, I would take the connection and fly the A321T.

JFK to LAX (and SFO for that matter) are always A321Ts.
+1 I'd definitely add that segment.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:22 am

I loved Iberia A330-300 MAD-ORD service. Best business class service I have had yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.