Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seat etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seat etc.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Some of my flights on google are returning "Airbus A321 (Sharklets)" as the aircraft. How do I figure out if this is the A321T or just a normal A321?
Rule of thumb. If it's JFK-LAX/SFO it's an A321T, If its any other route it won't be. It is currently flown on JFK-BOS and LAX-SFO as well, though. The only way to check would be to check the seatmap.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Restricted to AA. What I need is to search for direct flights to/from BOS that operate on aircrafts that have lie flat seats. Is there anyway to do that? I can piece my itinerary from there.
Not sure what the mystery is about where you're coming from and trying to go... but the only route that would definitely have flat beds 100% of the time would be BOS-CDG, and that's a seasonal route which is likely to have angle-flat rather than flat-to-the-floor seats at least in the short term. Anything else would be a route that might have a few flights with flat beds, and even those could be changed at any time and flat seats would not be assured. To find them, look for the aircraft type: any 330 would be flat, any 75L would be flat (either angle or flat-to-the-floor), and a 32B may be depending on configuration. I hope this helps!
Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Djokison
Rule of thumb. If it's JFK-LAX/SFO it's an A321T, If its any other route it won't be. It is currently flown on JFK-BOS and LAX-SFO as well, though. The only way to check would be to check the seatmap.
While at LGA this week I saw a A321 with winglet on a AA plane, it was heading to DFW. Wasn't aware of any A321 with winglets.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
While at LGA this week I saw a A321 with winglet on a AA plane, it was heading to DFW. Wasn't aware of any A321 with winglets.
All LAA 321s have "sharklet" wingtip devices (here's a picture). They are shown as 32B when searching AA's website for flights.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Yes, all of the AA A321s (A321T, A321S, A321H) have winglets (marketed by Airbus as Sharklets). The A319s have the same products.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Microwave
All LAA 321s have "sharklet" wingtip devices (here's a picture). They are shown as 32B when searching AA's website for flights.
Originally Posted by cmd320
Yes, all of the AA A321s (A321T, A321S, A321H) have winglets (marketed by Airbus as Sharklets). The A319s have the same products.
When I see the term "sharlet's I don't think of it as Winglet shape..
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:28 am

You may be thinking of wingtip fences, which is what Airbus used to use on their A320 family. They look like this. Sharklets are basically the Airbus term for blended winglets, and they're by and large more efficient than the wingtip fences they replaced (though the efficiency of these devices is a complicated calculus as heavier devices may prove less efficient on shorter routes).
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:02 pm

Upgraded 737-800

I've got an upcoming flight on a Boeing 738. I believe I'm first on the upgrade list (would have to purchase two 500-mile vouchers) and I'm wondering if there is a way to tell if I'll be on one of the newly renovated planes (have they finished refurbing the fleet? A few months ago they hadn't). If so, buying/spending my upgrades is totally worth it, if not, it would be an enormous waste (old metal doesn't even have IFE). Any help is greatly appreciated. For reference it's AA333 BOS>LAX
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cpt.shenanigans
I've got an upcoming flight on a Boeing 738. I believe I'm first on the upgrade list (would have to purchase two 500-mile vouchers) and I'm wondering if there is a way to tell if I'll be on one of the newly renovated planes (have they finished refurbing the fleet? A few months ago they hadn't). If so, buying/spending my upgrades is totally worth it, if not, it would be an enormous waste (old metal doesn't even have IFE). Any help is greatly appreciated. For reference it's AA333 BOS>LAX
No way to know, but they definitely haven't refurbed anything close to the whole fleet. If upgrading on the old config is a waste of money to you, then I'd just stick with coach.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
All the 737s have some version of IFE. Majority have the overhead screens, power plugs and wifi. Only a small number have the individual screens instead of the overhead screens.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
There is no upgrade underway. Unless you consider the reupholstered seating an upgrade that is.

Years ago the original 77 frames had cabin mods to match the newly delivered 73Ds.

You may get a 73A with AVOD or non-AVOD. BOS-LAX tends to get 73A more often than not in my vast experience flying the route.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
As noted by others, only a small portion of the fleet has seat-back IFE. There is no movement towards adding this towards any aircraft already in the fleet... these seat-back IFE screens only exist on new deliveries.

I believe N939NN and higher have them. There is no way to definitively know until for sure in advance - aircraft swaps happen early & often.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, National EE
OP, what date is your flight?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I'm a DL flyer but I do know that AAs 738s are very inconsistent. There are 3 versions of them (not seating chart wise)
-Regular 738 (Overhead TVs, standerd bins) most common
-738 w/Boeing Sky Interior (Overhead TVs, mood lighting)
-738 w/BSI and AVOD (AVOD, mood lighting, ISP, leather seats)
There is no way to tell if you are on a new 738 until 24 hours out. They are N939NN and above. There are more of them based on the west cost.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
I would rather AA invest in better seats or other comforts instead of IFE systems since most of us have our own IFE systems like iPads and laptops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.