FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1883276-chances-upgrade-clearing-availability-2018-master-thread.html)

econometrics Nov 21, 2018 7:38 am

Originally Posted by PlatinumScum (Post 30452629)
As an EXP with approximately 25K EQD, I am 0/5 on SWU upgrades this year - 2x DFW-LHR, LHR-DFW, and this week's DFW-CLT-RDU, RDU-DFW. (CLT-RDU did clear, but I asked to be put back in economy.)

Wow, really? What day time were your LHR flights? I've cleared all my LHR flights this year (8 of them?), and most of them cleared well before the airport.

enviroian Nov 21, 2018 9:10 am

Originally Posted by PlatinumScum (Post 30452629)
As an EXP with approximately 25K EQD, I am 0/5 on SWU upgrades this year - 2x DFW-LHR, LHR-DFW, and this week's DFW-CLT-RDU, RDU-DFW. (CLT-RDU did clear, but I asked to be put back in economy.)

What do you think about the value of SWU’s?

tikchik Nov 21, 2018 11:17 am

02/15/19-02/23/19 DFW/MIA-EZE/SCL-DFW/MIA, in Business. I am trying to get the long sectors in a lie flat. I will be EXP in late December, if that matters?

enviroian Nov 21, 2018 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by tikchik (Post 30453473)
02/15/19-02/23/19 DFW/MIA-EZE/SCL-DFW/MIA, in Business. I am trying to get the long sectors in a lie flat. I will be EXP in late December, if that matters?

What instruments are you seeking to upgrade?

tikchik Nov 21, 2018 5:03 pm

Right now would be miles + copay. After I get EXP, would SWU or Miles + copay have priority?

I need to be in SCL by lunch time on 02/16.

I have not booked a coach ticket yet, still flexible on routing, but dates are locked.

PlatinumScum Nov 22, 2018 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics (Post 30452722)
Wow, really? What day time were your LHR flights? I've cleared all my LHR flights this year (8 of them?), and most of them cleared well before the airport.

Both DFW-LHR flights were Saturday evening. LHR-DFW was Satruday afternoon.

PlatinumScum Nov 22, 2018 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 30453027)
What do you think about the value of SWU’s?

What do you think I think about the value of SWUs? ;-)

enviroian Nov 23, 2018 12:09 am

Originally Posted by PlatinumScum (Post 30457162)
What do you think I think about the value of SWUs? ;-)

It doesn’t matter. Whenever I complain I get beat to death on here.

Tough crowd.

shaddie Nov 23, 2018 4:41 am

Originally Posted by PlatinumScum (Post 30457160)
Both DFW-LHR flights were Saturday evening. LHR-DFW was Satruday afternoon.

Being based in DFW those are some of the hardest to clear. I usually route thru MIA and I have cleared all of mine.

ckx2 Nov 23, 2018 11:14 am

AA108 LAX-LHR 11/25 J7 - lets see if it works out this time.

aztimm Nov 24, 2018 11:13 am

LAX-PVG: Cleared about 2 months in advance :eek:
PVG-LAX: Cleared about 15 hours in advance (I've been checking multiple times a day).

AUS-LAX: was supposed to clear when C opened (part of the same itinerary), I called about 3 days before when I saw C2 and they pushed it through (flight actually went out with 1 vacant seat in F).
LAX-AUS: about 15 hours in advance I noticed that my seat assignment disappeared (says, "select your seat."). There are 2 vacant seats in F (according to the AA website and EF). Just to be safe, I selected another (of course my original is gone, but surprisingly there was another exit row). Perhaps the upgrade went through? Flight looks completely packed (Sunday after Thanksgiving),so I may take a voluntary bump for the right offer, including Monday.

nrr Nov 25, 2018 1:00 pm

I'm waitlisted for an SWU on AA#101 (LHR-JFK) on Nov. 26. 12 hours ago (per EF) it had J3 and the seat map showed 12 empty seats in BC, now it is J1 and 2 empty seats, was there a mass stampede to fly in BC in the last several hours?--it could also be a glitch(???). I'll find out when I get to LHR (after flying from ZRH to LHR) if my upgrade will clear.
In another thread it was suggested that Y is overbooked and they will roll Y to BC...shouldn't I (as an EXP) been rolled?

dcfit Nov 25, 2018 5:02 pm

I'm waitlisted for a SWU on AA193 (LAX-HKG) on 12/4. According to EF it is showing J7 (seatmap shows 14 open seats in business) but C0 for upgrades. Assuming there aren't a lot of last-minute bookings, when would my upgrade clear? 100 hours out?

On the way back I'm also waitlisted on AA126 (HKG-DFW) on 12/18 which shoes J7 (and 22 open seats on the EF seatmap).

I'm booked in PE at the moment...hopefully both ways will clear!

Reetmafreen Nov 25, 2018 7:24 pm

Domestic trips seem to be over for the year. I ended up with one upgrade (YVR-PHX) out of fourteen as a Plat with around $10K rolling spend and I had 1 flight in PE (SYD-LAX) where I missed out on a miles + copay. Everything else was paid F and J on international leisure trips.

dwugson Nov 26, 2018 7:19 am

Can anyone with Expert Flyer assess my chances of a miles + cash upgrade on AA 106 12/21. Currently in economy and waitlisted for an upgrade. Am platinum pro but only $13 K EQD this year. Thanks.