Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

• Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
        • Booking class
          • Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 17 Dec 2017 by aztimm
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Gold Elite
How far in advance are you fellow EXP's booking TATL's in order to get SWU's confirmed at the time of booking? I am particularly interested in DFW departures. I find it particularly difficult to find any flights that offer C space available at time of booking on any flights to cities that are serviced by 2 cabin aircraft. AA seems to be reducing the number of 3 cabin aircraft going to Europe.

Any comments are welcomed.

TIA
Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by gracett1
How far in advance are you fellow EXP's booking TATL's in order to get SWU's confirmed at the time of booking? I am particularly interested in DFW departures. I find it particularly difficult to find any flights that offer C space available at time of booking on any flights to cities that are serviced by 2 cabin aircraft. AA seems to be reducing the number of 3 cabin aircraft going to Europe.

Any comments are welcomed.

TIA
There really isn't a rhyme or reason or standard protocol with AA that says if you book at X months out you will find C space, but if you book at X-1 months out you won't.

IME, AA releasing C space in advance is much more dependent on the specific route, day of week, and season of the year, rather than just how far in advance you book.

If you can be flexible and fly midweek, then your chances of clearing in general increase tremendously, regardless of the route or how far in advance you book, etc.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
my wife, who recently took the PLT challenge and completed it, upgraded AMS to DFW to ATL for travel June 11, using my SWU, She is very happy
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Gold Elite
Smile 2018 SWU's

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
There really isn't a rhyme or reason or standard protocol with AA that says if you book at X months out you will find C space, but if you book at X-1 months out you won't.

IME, AA releasing C space in advance is much more dependent on the specific route, day of week, and season of the year, rather than just how far in advance you book.

If you can be flexible and fly midweek, then your chances of clearing in general increase tremendously, regardless of the route or how far in advance you book, etc.
JJeffrey, I really appreciate your comment and will definitely look to be flexible with SWU plans. FYI, I did have success confirming SWU's R/T from DFW-LHR-DFW, flying midweek and being flexible......you are definitely correct.
Thanks,
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Here's a question: My family and I are currently flying PEK>ORD. I put in for miles upgrades for the three of us in early April. I cleared two days ago and my family did not (there were 12 seats open in J this week). When I called two days ago to check on their upgrades AA said my family wasn't on the list. I was ticked, of course. I asked that they be put back on the list. Showed up at the gate for the flight and they informed me that there was only one upgrade available. I took it for my son. The rub is that they charged me a same day additional fee of $75 along with the miles/$$. Is it normal for them to do that even though I gave them my credit card number twice this month?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Here's a question: My family and I are currently flying PEK>ORD. I put in for miles upgrades for the three of us in early April. I cleared two days ago and my family did not (there were 12 seats open in J this week). When I called two days ago to check on their upgrades AA said my family wasn't on the list. I was ticked, of course. I asked that they be put back on the list. Showed up at the gate for the flight and they informed me that there was only one upgrade available. I took it for my son. The rub is that they charged me a same day additional fee of $75 along with the miles/$$. Is it normal for them to do that even though I gave them my credit card number twice this month?
There is a close in ticketing fee (21 days I think) so I'm assuming you are within 21 days.

If the members had requested an upgrade more than 21 days, or the miles came from someone with sufficient status, then the $75 shouldn't apply. Where did the miles come from for your son, and how far in advance is the flight.

Were you on the same record originally? Did you independently check to see if the upgrade request was shown? Not that you should have to, but it is a best practice to head off these issues.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
There is a close in ticketing fee (21 days I think) so I'm assuming you are within 21 days.

If the members had requested an upgrade more than 21 days, or the miles came from someone with sufficient status, then the $75 shouldn't apply. Where did the miles come from for your son, and how far in advance is the flight.

Were you on the same record originally? Did you independently check to see if the upgrade request was shown? Not that you should have to, but it is a best practice to head off these issues.
I thought the 21 day fee was waived for elite members (I recall being told there was a charge for a redemption I made last year by an agent but they never charged it dude to my status). The miles came from my account and my son's and wife's res had "upgrade requested" up until the day before the flight. Different PNR but whenI made the request 10 days ago the agent said it was no problem, even gave them MCE seats at no charge as they were traveling with me (but on a different PNR). The whole thing surprised/disappointed me. Getting hit with the extra $75 was the icing. Is the best way to deal with this going through DM on Twitter?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I thought the 21 day fee was waived for elite members (I recall being told there was a charge for a redemption I made last year by an agent but they never charged it dude to my status). The miles came from my account and my son's and wife's res had "upgrade requested" up until the day before the flight. Different PNR but whenI made the request 10 days ago the agent said it was no problem, even gave them MCE seats at no charge as they were traveling with me (but on a different PNR). The whole thing surprised/disappointed me. Getting hit with the extra $75 was the icing. Is the best way to deal with this going through DM on Twitter?
Did you split the reservation? if so that is why you were charged
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Did you split the reservation? if so that is why you were charged
It was s separate ticket from the get-go. The agent that originally put them on the upgrade list said it wouldn't be a problem since they were traveling me and also put them in MCE without a charge, even though we were on separate PNR. That explains the $75 share, though. Still doesn't explain how they were wiped form the request list though. Thanks for your response.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
It was s separate ticket from the get-go. The agent that originally put them on the upgrade list said it wouldn't be a problem since they were traveling me and also put them in MCE without a charge, even though we were on separate PNR. That explains the $75 share, though. Still doesn't explain how they were wiped form the request list though. Thanks for your response.
Im not too sure how the agent placed them in MCE without charging you, they have to be on the same PRN.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:01 pm

Im not too sure how the agent placed them in MCE without charging you, they have to be on the same PRN.

I paid the MCE upgrade for them on their outbound as they weren't traveling out with me. A few days later, when I called to have them put on the upgrade list they put them in MCE as they were traveling back with me. No charge.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:40 pm

C space was surprisingly available and confirmable for JFK-SFO and the return SFO-JFK for 5/5 and 5/8 respectively. Interestingly, they were J4 and J6 so it wasn't like the cabin was almost empty. Redeemed 2 Business Extra certs. However, it took an hour+ on the phone for them to figure out how to upfare me and get it ticketed by coordinating with the EXP desk and tariffs. What a mess.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Huh? An elite companion does not need to be on the same PNR in order to take advantage of the elite's free MCE or Preferred seating. It's been this way on AA for years. All you have to do is call AA.

The only caveat is that you have to be in the same cabin as your companion. So if my upgrade has cleared to J and then a companion joins me on the same flight in Y, I can't do anything to get them MCE/Preferred seats for free.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG AMB, AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Something very similar happened to me recently. My wife and I were on separate PNRs and I called to apply the SWU for both of us. The agent at the EXP desk "confirmed" she was linked to my PNR and next to me in the waitlist. I also reached out to AA customer relations to confirm (and for something else) and they again said my wife was with me in the waitlist. Furthermore, I had asked NOT to have split upgrades

Lo and behold my upgrade cleared but my wife's did not. I called the EXP desk and the first agent said she had no idea what happened and couldn't see anything about the non-split upgrade request. I called again the following day and a much more capable agent took to the phone. He finally identified the issue - my wife HAD NOT been linked. There is a checkbox on their system that says "complete party". In our case, the box was unchecked and there was no mention of my PNR in my wife's. The agent checked the box, and properly linked the PNRs. Next day, my wife's upgrade cleared.

To your point about who to contact, I wouldn't hold my breath. I wrote a detailed email explaining the situation and expression my frustration to AA customer relations. Their reply: "Please contact the EXP desk for any of your future travel needs". Never mind the fact that 2 out of 3 agents had already proven incompetent. Perhaps you'll have better lock through Twitter. I have no direct experience, but I've heard they are actually great and responsive.
Old May 1, 2018, 6:38 pm

I am pretty new to trying to get an upgrade .. but here is my situation.

I am on an AA flight coming back from LHR-DFW later this month with Main Cabin Extra (no premium eco on the flight) and on a wait list for an upgrade (miles with copay). I was booked on this flight last night.

I checked Expert Flyer and I see that the earlier flight that leaves at 9 AM has 3 C spaces available. Can I call them and ask to be moved to the earlier flight and get the immediate confirmed upgrade? Will they charge a change fee to do this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.